Sponsored

Any recent diesel news...?

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
Holy crap - what is happening in May??
I honestly don't know. Not sure if that's more Re-tooling for the hybrid or something else
Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I heard a date even further back from a good friend who is an aftermarket supplier that works with Jeep Product Management. He said it is definitely coming. But look for it in the June timeframe. To which I replied “boooooo”.

Only bright spot in that news, is that by then I might be able to get a bunch those Gladiator features on a JL!
Any source this side of upper management in the EPA’s auto emissions certification department has precisely zero idea when FCA will be allowed to sell any of their vehicles with the 3.0.

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
That is a great source. Not the answer i wanted, but good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
The 3.0 is not an option for the 2019 Grand Cherokee online. You can have it in the 2018, not the 2019. I was looking at The 2019 Trailhawk for my wife and noticed the 3.0 missing yesterday.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 3.0 is not an option for the 2019 Grand Cherokee online. You can have it in the 2018, not the 2019. I was looking at The 2019 Trailhawk for my wife and noticed the 3.0 missing yesterday.
It’s not an option for any 2019MY FCA vehicle: Ram 1500, GC, or Wrangler. This is only because the EPA is choosing to prioritize the emissions certification of other vehicles after they became convinced FCA had unauthorized code in the 3.0’s emissions controller. IMHO, EPA didn’t have enough evidence to levy a fine, so the purposefully delayed certification of the ‘19MY 3.0s is their way of screwing FCA anyway.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not an option for any 2019MY FCA vehicle: Ram 1500, GC, or Wrangler. This is only because the EPA is choosing to prioritize the emissions certification of other vehicles after they became convinced FCA had unauthorized code in the 3.0’s emissions controller. IMHO, EPA didn’t have enough evidence to levy a fine, so the purposefully delayed certification of the ‘19MY 3.0s is their way of screwing FCA anyway.
So the engine has to be re-certified every year? I did not know that, I thought it was only new models or significant changes. Since it was in the 2018 I thought it was approved for the 2019s as it was the same engine. (Except for in the JL, that is a new model that did not have it before)

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the engine has to be re-certified every year? I did not know that, I thought it was only new models or significant changes. Since it was in the 2018 I thought it was approved for the 2019s as it was the same engine. (Except for in the JL, that is a new model that did not have it before)
I suspect the model looks more like this...if you piss off the EPA, you recertify as frequently as the EPA demands and said process takes as long as the EPA damn well pleases. You can bet your last dollar FCA doesn’t have a leg to stand on legally because if they did, they’d have sued the EPA over millions in lost revenue months ago. And don’t forget, this is all happening in the context of an EPA that is actively rolling back some environmental regulations.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
We bought one of the first 2018 GC Ecodiesel Trailhawks in Utah this summer when they started selling the diesel again ("for my wife"). Had it a little over 5 months and 15,000 miles. So far issues have been limited to electronics (infotainment mostly), and tires (stock Goodyears started chunking at less than 3000 miles, and still fighting dealership warranty for those). Average mileage is currently around 26 mpg (with mountains and local speed limits 70-80mph). I really like the package, though the more I drive it (especially off-road), the more I lean towards the gas engine for my JLU. The biggest detriment I see is the extra 500 lbs up front. That and waiting to see if Jeep ever even offers it.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
We bought one of the first 2018 GC Ecodiesel Trailhawks in Utah this summer when they started selling the diesel again ("for my wife"). Had it a little over 5 months and 15,000 miles. So far issues have been limited to electronics (infotainment mostly), and tires (stock Goodyears started chunking at less than 3000 miles, and still fighting dealership warranty for those). Average mileage is currently around 26 mpg (with mountains and local speed limits 70-80mph). I really like the package, though the more I drive it (especially off-road), the more I lean towards the gas engine for my JLU. The biggest detriment I see is the extra 500 lbs up front. That and waiting to see if Jeep ever even offers it.
We had a 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with the 3.6 liter. We also had issues with our tires after our MOAB trip. Had amazing grip, but they were chunking out pretty bad. It was bad enough to cause vibration on the highway on the way home. The tred is just too soft for what we were doing with it, but man they were like super glue on the slick rock.

Sold the Trailhawk to order a Rubicon. If ours had the 3.0 or even the Hemi we may have kept it, but with the 3.6 we were always wanting more power, or more ability off-road.

I still think the 3.0 in the Wrangler will be an amazing option, but will most likely price itself out of most people’s budget. Already topping 60k with the new JL, the 3.0 may put it min the mid 60’s.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
We had a 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with the 3.6 liter. We also had issues with our tires after our MOAB trip. Had amazing grip, but they were chunking out pretty bad. It was bad enough to cause vibration on the highway on the way home. The tred is just too soft for what we were doing with it, but man they were like super glue on the slick rock.

Sold the Trailhawk to order a Rubicon. If ours had the 3.0 or even the Hemi we may have kept it, but with the 3.6 we were always wanting more power, or more ability off-road.

I still think the 3.0 in the Wrangler will be an amazing option, but will most likely price itself out of most people’s budget. Already topping 60k with the new JL, the 3.0 may put it min the mid 60’s.
I had a 2011 GC with the 3.6 but traded it for the '14 Rubicon. Similar to you, too much off-road for the WK2, and I missed shifting. Was surprised when we went shopping this summer and my wife kept coming back to the GC Summit. Convinced her the Trailhawk will get us more of the places we want to go and she was sold. The diesel engine sold me, especially since we kept the Rubicon (to be replaced by JL or JT next year). I also agree that the additional cost of the JL diesel is a major turn-off, though I am remote enough often enough that it would likely work for me (and tow/launch the sailboat most weekends).

Sponsored

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
So... will the diesel and hybrid both be 2020 models?