Sponsored

Old School Jeep Owner vs new Jeep owner Logic

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
New School: Some complaints, some things are great, some things could be improved.

Old School: Whats an internet? Is a Forum a new type of Ford?

Believe it or not, there would have been internet complaints about CJs and Scramblers had the internet been available.
Sponsored

krucam

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra, 2019 JLR ordered 12/22/2018
Occupation
FAA
I’m old school getting ready to be new school, so I’m expecting a sadomasochist masochistic phase soon. I’m already starting the obsessive forearm scratching to get ready. I hate me...

Had a 78 CJ5 and a 82 CJ7 in the 80s through mid 90’s. This was while I was young and in the Navy. I remember driving my CJ5 from Norfolk to home in Chicago for many Christmas’s. Soft top, soft doors in the Midwest in December on the Interstate made me a man. Y’all are all wusses. The soft doors would blow open about 2” when at 70mph, sucking every bit of heat out of the cabin. I’d wear gloves, stocking cap, 32 layers on my torso, 3 pairs of socks, etc, and watch as my breath would freeze on the windshied.

So, my new JL (when I get it) won’t defrost the outsides of the windshied? Pfft. It gets noisy? Pfft...

Got to get back to chewing my nails down till I bleed...

Last edited:

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
My first jeep had no ac and vinyl seats. If I could find one at a decent price I'd buy it again just to have. The top and doors came off and I could go anywhere. As I get older I appreciate things like the led headlights and heated seats more. And if your married the dual climate control for those wives who are always cold and need the heater turned up lol. The top and doors still come off and I can still go anywhere I want but usually in more comfort!

There is no wrong way to own a wrangler as long as your enjoying it.

Sponsored

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-7, 1997 TJ, 2018 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Old school:

Can I afford a Jeep? Yes, if I save up and pay cash for an old beater CJ, buy a AAA membership (for towing), invest in some tools for wrenching it myself, and get to know my local junkyard owner really well.

New school:

Can I afford a Jeep? Yes, if I put nothing down, get a 7-year loan, and sell everything else I own on Craigslist to pay for monthly payment #1. I'll figure out monthly payment #2 later.

TxJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ Sahara, 2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I had a CJ2A and a 50’s CJ5 L-head. The CJ 5 was my first car when I was 17. When I spun a main bearing on the motor my dad asked “do you have the money to have that fixed?” And when I said no, he said “well you better learn how to do it yourself”. They were both great. Lots of fun, and great learning experiences becuase we were always fixing stuff and adding new things. Not too safe thought. I’m amazed I never killed myself in a roll-over.

The new Rubicon is a completely different animal AC, air bags, U-connect. I doubt I’ll ever do any hard banging off reading with it. Probably just trails and beaches. But that’s ok. If only it were EMP proof It’d be the perfect bug-out mobile.
LOL....I think I have said that same thing about every jeep I get..then at some point...BAM its the mud or crawling rocks getting dinged up. I had my JLU on Level 3 trails 2 days after owning it. My YJ is like an old horse that around the town in on weekends.

njviking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 12 JKU, soon to be 18 or 19 JL
Al I can say is that I''m glad they are further evolving.

My 78 Levi's edition had a v8 (304) from the factory, no top, no doors, no radio. Dad did not want to spring for the heater, but he couldn't delete it. It was his hunting vehicle till 83 when I got it. If the tires were warm you could actually dump the clutch in first gear, it would stand up on the drivers side wheel ( cause posi track ceased to work after 4 years; it was a law back then) and flop over on its side if you weren't careful. My active saftey group was lodged between my ears back then.

I'm old school; I actually like being able to lift the hood and understand what goes where and how it functions.

But then again; I'm now old and am quite fond of climate control and disc brakes.

Blown7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Hellcat powered CJ7..... 2007 Jeep SRT8...2018 Trackhawk
Al I can say is that I''m glad they are further evolving.

My 78 Levi's edition had a v8 (304) from the factory, no top, no doors, no radio. Dad did not want to spring for the heater, but he couldn't delete it. It was his hunting vehicle till 83 when I got it. If the tires were warm you could actually dump the clutch in first gear, it would stand up on the drivers side wheel ( cause posi track ceased to work after 4 years; it was a law back then) and flop over on its side if you weren't careful. My active saftey group was lodged between my ears back then.

I'm old school; I actually like being able to lift the hood and understand what goes where and how it functions.

But then again; I'm now old and am quite fond of climate control and disc brakes.

I spec ordered a 1977 CJ7 Black with White hardtop. Tan interior Renegade Levi's edition. V-8 304 auto, power steering. AM radio. Tachometer and clock
Fully loaded with every option I paid 7200.00 (I can't remember the exact number)
I even can't remember how long my wait was ( i remember a long time maybe 10-12 weeks)

How some things have changed.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I could have gotten this for around $10k. But nooooo, had to get a new Rubicon

2C6E0345-A1E6-4D08-B5F6-F661F2B69B6A.png
LOL....I think I have said that same thing about every jeep I get..then at some point...BAM its the mud or crawling rocks getting dinged up. I had my JLU on Level 3 trails 2 days after owning it. My YJ is like an old horse that around the town in on weekends.

Sponsored

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I spec ordered a 1977 CJ7 Black with White hardtop. Tan interior Renegade Levi's edition. V-8 304 auto, power steering. AM radio. Tachometer and clock
Fully loaded with every option I paid 7200.00 (I can't remember the exact number)
I even can't remember how long my wait was ( i remember a long time maybe 10-12 weeks)

How some things have changed.
Given the average price of a car in 77 was less than $4500, that sounds about right. Average price now is about $35,000. So your Sport S is about average, and a pretty heavily optioned Rubicon is about 50% higher.

This lines up almost exactly with what you found in 77, with your well optioned Renegade being about 50% higher than the average new vehicle.

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Old school
  1. It goes where I need it to go when I need it to go there
  2. Best friend to have with you in the snow, sand, mud or sunshine
  3. It’s running therefore it’s reliable
  4. Squeaks and rattles just means turn the volume up or push harder on the gas peddle
  5. When the top is off I’m always the center of attention and I’m always the center of attention
  6. Jeep wave
New school
  1. It doesn’t handle like my Corolla, BMW, Volvo, etc. so there’s something wrong with it
  2. My steering wheel and seat warmer comes on automatically. After my workout in the morning it’s too hard for me to touch a couple buttons. Jeep engineers are idiots for not letting me turn off that feature!
  3. It’s not perfect and the dealer won’t fix it
  4. It’s a 4 wheel drive?
  5. It’s shaped like a brick and I only get 20MPG with 4.10s, what’s a 4.10?
Hahaha, love it.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Given the average price of a car in 77 was less than $4500, that sounds about right. Average price now is about $35,000. So your Sport S is about average, and a pretty heavily optioned Rubicon is about 50% higher.

This lines up almost exactly with what you found in 77, with your well optioned Renegade being about 50% higher than the average new vehicle.
Inflation differences for $4,500 in 1977 = $18,715.00 today. Add interior design, technology, government mandated safety "features", horsepower and fuel efficiency increases and 2x the base price appears somewhat justified when comparing a 2018 Wrangler to a 77 CJ...I would type more but a picture is worth a thousand words comparing a top of the line Golden Eagle CJ to today's dollar spent!
Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 3.50.50 PM.png

JLCashBurn

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
If you enjoy 80s green screen technology, less fuel efficiency, a back seat that flops like a fish when folded, doors that hit you in the ass, an outdated transmission and a wiper box that blocks half your view then stick with your pre-JL Jeep. Your flip phone fits nicely in it, why change?

For the rest of us not stuck in a Dr Who backwards in time warp, The JL is perfect.

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150 / 2018 Sahara JLU. Formerly 2013 JK and 2003 Liberty Renegade
Old school vs new school:

Me: Huh, there's new dent / scratch / mark. Oh well, adds character.
My wife: Her name is Emmy and she's SO PRETTY :involve: !
Sponsored