2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Gas filling issue

JONPCOP

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL
Two weeks into my new Jeep without any issues until other day. I went to gas station to fill up and gas nozzle keeps clicking off. I am unable to fill my tank without a struggling to put in small amounts. Bringing back to dealership next week, but any ideas?
Sponsored

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Two weeks into my new Jeep without any issues until other day. I went to gas station to fill up and gas nozzle keeps clicking off. I am unable to fill my tank without a struggling to put in small amounts. Bringing back to dealership next week, but any ideas?
Is it at just ONE location? If so, change brands. Those pumps break often. You can try to pull out the nozzle about 1-2" and see if it helps. I've not had issues with mine, it's worked flawlessly.

JP18

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Is this a California thing? Ie, do you have the vapor recovery nozzles on the gas pump?

brantb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ram 1500, charger daytona 392
I more often than not have to hold the nozzle at 90* CC

OP
OP

JONPCOP

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it at just ONE location? If so, change brands. Those pumps break often. You can try to pull out the nozzle about 1-2" and see if it helps. I've not had issues with mine, it's worked flawlessly.

JP18
I have tried to gas up at multiple stations. Hopefully it’s not a major issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JONPCOP

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is this a California thing? Ie, do you have the vapor recovery nozzles on the gas pump?
I’m in Connecticut. We have similar nozzles as in Cali

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
JLUR with now close to 17K miles. I find that this issue is often dependent on where I fill up. Hot weather, cold weather...doesn't seem to play into it but go to my closest gas station near the house... I have problems. Go to the same brand station near work...no problem...its pretty consistent. So i tried different pumps and to my surprise I get varying results. Some good...some not so good.
But here in Cali, I am used to pumps that are just awful to deal with. But for the most part, I find if I don't try to get a super tight fit and press down on the nozzle engaging it in the tank tube it behaves normally. But it can get frustrating when you find one of those pumps for sure.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
The vapor recovery nozzles can be a pain (I'm in California), it doesn't seem to want to latch into the filler neck. I usually end up holding it in during filling (if you've ever had a pumping nozzle pop out on you and not stopping... I don't want to do that again). Not sure if it's a design issue or just a quirk but since the 2.0 is so good on mileage I don't have to fill up that often ;)

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I don’t know if this is related, but on my previous MotorHome I could not fill the tank without the nozzle constantly popping off. And this was a diesel with a 50 gallon tank. What a PIA. No vapor recovery nozzles here in Florida, I think my fuel tank vent line was obstructed in some way. This MH could be fueled on either side and I was able to eliminate the problem by opening the fill caps on both sides. I was always afraid diesel might come spewing out the opposite side even thogh it never actually happened.

Maybe some Jeeps have a vent issue? Kinda defeats the purpose of the vapor recovery systems

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I don’t know if this is related, but on my previous MotorHome I could not fill the tank without the nozzle constantly popping off. And this was a diesel with a 50 gallon tank. What a PIA. No vapor recovery nozzles here in Florida, I think my fuel tank vent line was obstructed in some way. This MH could be fueled on either side and I was able to eliminate the problem by opening the fill caps on both sides. I was always afraid diesel might come spewing out the opposite side even thogh it never actually happened.

Maybe some Jeeps have a vent issue? Kinda defeats the purpose of the vapor recovery systems
Yes. Some Jeeps have vent issues. Several members had their tanks replaced.

Sponsored

ArcTrooper

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
Ok so there is an issue with the JL fuel tanks. Let’s just start off by my Jeep
Is sitting on the dealer service lot for a month now. It has had over 4 issues with the auto stop start system and battery replacements and had them look into the gas to a I never ever going to to fill line. They ran the Jeep empty and then with only 5 miles of fuel remaining filled it up and it only took a tad under 19 gallons. After further inspection and logging into the computer it shows the fuel system at 80% on a full tank. I know my mechanic personally and go wheeling with him and he was able to get a hold one of the designers and sure there are some issues out there. Now playing the waiting game on our 2018 JLU 3.6 penstar. Hope this may help others.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
if flow is down to a trickle...it's time for Super Beta Prostate....Cuts down on fuel stops every hour.

ziggybumwah

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 1995 Camaro Z28
I'm getting tired of only being able to put 16 to 17 gallons in my 20+ gallon tank...
Yes I tried to get it fixed when new...
No the dealership was not helpful at all
I figured I could live with it
But seems to be getting worse with time
Would love to know the reason for this, my guess is something to do with the vent

Deleted member 53226

Good Lord, is this still a thing? We had this exact same problem on the old TJ's but I cannot...I repeat cannot...believe it could possibly still be a problem on a JL some 15-20 years later.

For what it's worth, on the TJ, the fuel tanks used a little ball check valve (located at the top of the tank where the fuel filler tube actually connected to the tank) to meter the air versus gas in the tank. The idea was the little ball would seat and unseat to allow the gas pumped in to displace the air in the tank. On paper, maybe a decent idea, but often that little ball would get unseated or crudded up so it would not seat properly.

The result was you could get your gas tank about 3/4 of the way full before the pump would click off. The only way to fill it up completely was by dribbling the fuel from the hose or doing it in small increments, like pump for a second or two and stop. Wait a second or two, repeat. Other also experimented with turning the pump 45 degrees or sideways, etc. to allow air to escape. What a cluster!

Like I said, I would be absolutely shocked if a JL used the same defective type of ball valve check thingy in the year 2021, but it is Jeep after all, so who knows.

And the only fix for the TJ was to drop the fuel tank so you could access the valve thingy from the top. SO pretty much everybody including me just lived with it.
Sponsored