Locking Fuel Cap for JL/JLU

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
  • Banned
Interested in a locking gas cap for your JL/JLU ...

Another JL owner on this forum installed the Stant 10508 Locking Fuel Cap with 2 keys on his JLU. He has had no issues running with this locking gas cap.

One place this locking gas cap can be can be purchased is at Amazon for $10.73 https://www.amazon.com/Stant-10508-...pID=41K6PcPGVCL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
.As in this case, it is not unusual for Amazon's fit filter to say an item won't work with a specific vehicle when indeed it will. This cap is in use with the JLU/JL and no codes are being thrown.

Stant 10508 Locking Fuel Cap

cap.jpg

You say you would rather have a locking fuel door ....
Well, reality is..... If your JL/JLU will be in a part of the country that gets snow / below freezing temperatures, the last thing you'd want to have is a fuel door that has an exposed key slot on it. The exposed, external key slot would undoubtedly be prone to getting water/snow on/in it and freezing up.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Interested in a locking gas cap for your JL/JLU ...

Another JL owner on this forum installed the Stant 10508 Locking Fuel Cap with 2 keys on his JLU. He has had no issues running with this locking gas cap.

One place this locking gas cap can be can be purchased is at Amazon for $10.73 https://www.amazon.com/Stant-10508-...pID=41K6PcPGVCL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
.As in this case, it is not unusual for Amazon's fit filter to say an item won't work with a specific vehicle when indeed it will. This cap is in use with the JLU/JL and no codes are being thrown.

Stant 10508 Locking Fuel Cap

cap.jpg

You say you would rather have a locking fuel door ....
Well, reality is..... If your JL/JLU will be in a part of the country that gets snow / below freezing temperatures, the last thing you'd want to have is a fuel door that has an exposed key slot on it. The exposed, external key slot would undoubtedly be prone to getting water/snow on/in it and freezing up.

I dont know if they changed it or not from the JK to the new JL or not but thats for the JK because thats the one i have now on my JK

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I dont know if they changed it or not from the JK to the new JL or not but thats for the JK because thats the one i have now on my JK

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
  • Banned

Well then, this locking gas cap apparently works with both the JK and JL Another JL owner on this forum installed the Stant 10508 Locking Fuel Cap with 2 keys on his JLU. He has had no issues running with this locking gas cap.

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
good to know i will be trying it then. good to know thats one thing they didnt change LOL

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
  • Banned
Reading the User's Guide today, I learned some interesting tidbits in regard to the Loose Fuel Filler Cap message....

Three things that stood out:
  1. If the system detects a malfunction, the " gASCAP "message will display in the odometer display.
  2. Push the odometer reset button to turn the message off. If problem persists, gASCAP message will appear the next time the vehicle is started.
  3. If the problem is detected twice in a row,the system will turn on the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL).

Complete text from User's Manual:

Loose Fuel Filler Cap Message
"After fuel has been added, the vehicle diagnostic system can determine if the fuel filler cap is possibly loose, improperly installed, or damaged. If the system detects a malfunction,the “gASCAP” message will display in the odometer display.

Tighten the gas cap until a "clicking" sound is heard. This is an indication that the gas cap is properly tightened.

Push the odometer reset button to turn the message off. If the problem persists, the message will appear the next time the vehicle is started. This might indicate a damaged cap.

If the problem is detected twice in a row, the system will turn on the MIL. Resolving the problem will turn the MIL off."

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Mopar itself sells a locking gas cap that can be KEYED to your ignition key -- so one less additional key on your keychain.

Quadratec sells it, for instance. But undoubtedly you can find it cheaper online.

Going with the OEM version ensures you won't have issues with the computer being unhappy IMHO.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/locking-gas-cap-jeep-wrangler-jl
I purchased this Keyed lock gas cap for my Rubicon as I'm a less key kind of guy and like it... Trust me it is well worth the money.... Enjoy it. FYI, my buddy got one as well and loves it.

Sponsored

trail_runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Forester XT Touring, 2019 Granite Crystal Metallic JLUR
I purchased this Keyed lock gas cap for my Rubicon as I'm a less key kind of guy and like it... Trust me it is well worth the money.... Enjoy it. FYI, my buddy got one as well and loves it.
Same here -- I followed the video that Quadratec has for keying the lock to your specific Jeep key. It's not as hard as it first appears - took me 20 minutes tops, and works like a charm, and NO EXTRA keys to carry! I'm in New England and have freezing winters, so I went with this locking gas cap (less key kind of guy, too) and the stock Rubicon fuel door keeps the lock protected from the elements.

lagunajim

Same here -- I followed the video that Quadratec has for keying the lock to your specific Jeep key. It's not as hard as it first appears - took me 20 minutes tops, and works like a charm, and NO EXTRA keys to carry! I'm in New England and have freezing winters, so I went with this locking gas cap (less key kind of guy, too) and the stock Rubicon fuel door keeps the lock protected from the elements.
So if I'm only marginally a dork I can key it myself without paying the dealer to do it? AWESOME

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I’m kind of surprised that nobody’s marketed a locking gas cap cover (maybe someone has) for the wrangler that’s opened through interior latch pull: consistent with how most other vehicle models address this.
Sponsored