Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
My vote's for the Active Safety Group.

Sure, even Wranglers some day will likely drive autonomously and have more advanced versions of this package's features as a result, but turn your dang head in the direction you vehicle's moving in, before going there, just like you learned in Driver's Ed, check the rear camera and eliminate the need for ParkSense's audible warnings, and buy LED Tail Lamps in the aftermarket when they arrive, cheaper and in better quality than FCAs.

Disagree, think another option less worth it....what say you?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Headliners since Aftermarket looks like it should have thicker/better options for almost half the price.

Iā€™d have to disagree on the Active Safety group just based on the fact that itā€™d be much harder to put in your own sensors afterwards. But thatā€™s whatā€™s nice about being an option because if you donā€™t want it you donā€™t have to pay for it ;)

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR

Sure, even Wranglers some day will likely drive autonomously and have more advanced versions of this package's features as a result, but turn your dang head in the direction you vehicle's moving in, before going there, just like you learned in Driver's Ed, check the rear camera and eliminate the need for ParkSense's audible warnings, and buy LED Tail Lamps in the aftermarket when they arrive, cheaper and in better quality the FCAs.

I hear this sentiment a lot, and I think any parent with a small child, or anyone unlucky enough to have to back out of a parking spot in a crowded lot, would be likely to disagree.

We are fallible creatures, and we can only turn our heads so far, and there are countless things which we cannot see if directly behind our Wrangler.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
Extremely fair point John...but isn't looking out the now standard rear view camera enough?

I guess if you're checking your side clearance as you're backing out of that spot that the beeping might sooner warn you of threat than when your eyes get back to the rear view camera....

but I tend to check all's clear in back, look side/side, and then begin with eyes on a view to the back, head turned, or now in the JL with eyes on the camera...

go slow enough, what the beeping might pick up before you see it in the camera might be little, but I can totally get the others may value this feature more than other options..

say you're dead sent against in Wrangler smokers---perhaps that option's (smoker's group) the least worth it to someone...

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
Headliners since Aftermarket looks like it should have thicker/better options for almost half the price.

Iā€™d have to disagree on the Active Safety group just based on the fact that itā€™d be much harder to put in your own sensors afterwards. But thatā€™s whatā€™s nice about being an option because if you donā€™t want it you donā€™t have to pay for it ;)
solid argument luke

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
I agree with the Active Safty Group. I would pay more not to have it if it was included. The headliner I would also never order or install aftermarket.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Sure, even Wranglers some day will likely drive autonomously and have more advanced versions of this package's features as a result, but turn your dang head in the direction you vehicle's moving in, before going there, just like you learned in Driver's Ed, check the rear camera and eliminate the need for ParkSense's audible warnings, and buy LED Tail Lamps in the aftermarket when they arrive, cheaper and in better quality than FCAs.

Disagree. If it saves even one life it is worth it. I guess I have been exposed to too much tragedy that could have been avoided with these features.

For example, these are things that don't help so much:

Telling someone they should have turned their dang head after they have run over their grand-child in the driveway.

Telling someone they should have pulled over when they started feeling sleepy after they clipped a car heading in the other direction and killed a young mother and her child.

Telling a mother she should have checked to make sure the car was not in gear when she suddenly remembered she forgot something and stepped out of the car with her baby strapped in the back and the car started backing out of the driveway into the street.

Yes - all these things were the driver's fault. But not the victim's fault. These features should actually be standard.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I think the optional Rubi rims have to compete for this title. About 900 bucks and they are still 17x7.5. I'm the sucker that ordered them, too. However, I must say I'd probably do it again, even though the standard Rubi wheels look better and better to me everytime I see them. I just love the way they look, especially on that Firecracker Red Rubi pictured in New Zealand.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™d argue the automatic transmission is the least useful option since itā€™s clearly redundant... :angel:
Lol! VERY good point! Glad I didn't order it! :like:

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Disagree. If it saves even one life it is worth it. I guess I have been exposed to too much tragedy that could have been avoided with these features.

For example, these are things that don't help so much:

Telling someone they should have turned their dang head after they have run over their grand-child in the driveway.

Telling someone they should have pulled over when they started feeling sleepy after they clipped a car heading in the other direction and killed a young mother and her child.

Telling a mother she should have checked to make sure the car was not in gear when she suddenly remembered she forgot something and stepped out of the car with her baby strapped in the back and the car started backing out of the driveway into the street.

Yes - all these things were the driver's fault. But not the victim's fault. These features should actually be standard.

I respect your points and the life experiences that have shaped you to feel this way. As standard features you'd be forcing drivers though at the higher end of the responsibility curve to pay for this stuff (which is not to say that the "if it saves one life it would be worth it' school of thought isn't noble) that the FCA bean counters will say "woa," to it as sales and profitability may be adversely affected.

One other cloud in the silver lining that is collision avoidance is my concern that the (new) driver becomes less incentivized to practice the "turn your head in the direction the dang car is about to go in before moving in that direction" way of driving, and turning this responsibility over to technology rather than having technology supplement their diligence.

That this irresponsibility level already exists and that collision avoidance tech will improve vehicular mortality stats would be a valid retort for independent 3rd parties to investigate, and at least make into law, if it has to be, that such features exist--so all automobile manufacturers compete on a level playing surface, like backup cameras in 2018 vehicles. And all while good motorists complain that they're being charged for crap they don't need, while additional lobbyists force liability underwriters to offer discounts for such tech, and ...........

the best efforts of considering all parties fairly makes for a complex world.....

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Extremely fair point John...but isn't looking out the now standard rear view camera enough?

I guess if you're checking your side clearance as you're backing out of that spot that the beeping might sooner warn you of threat than when your eyes get back to the rear view camera....

but I tend to check all's clear in back, look side/side, and then begin with eyes on a view to the back, head turned, or now in the JL with eyes on the camera...

go slow enough, what the beeping might pick up before you see it in the camera might be little, but I can totally get the others may value this feature more than other options..

say you're dead sent against in Wrangler smokers---perhaps that option's (smoker's group) the least worth it to someone...
Please donā€™t back up while watching the screen. Your field of view is much wider with your eyes than the cameraā€™s.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Please donā€™t back up while watching the screen. Your field of view is much wider with your eyes than the cameraā€™s.
It's interesting that you say that. I don't use the camera as a replacement for my eyes, but in my wife's Chevy Trax I can assure you, especially but not limited to the rear seat headrests, that the camera is infinitely better than my eyes precisely for the wider field it provides, not to mention the camera's ability to see better in dark situations than my naked eye.

In vehicles where its a toss up or eye superiority is better, I agree the eyes have it.

I would imagine in the JK, with the tire getting in the way, a rear view camera view might be better.

I simply don't know in the JL with the lowered spare...others would have to chime in.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Utility Trailer
It's interesting that you say that. I don't use the camera as a replacement for my eyes, but in my wife's Chevy Trax I can assure you, especially but not limited to the rear seat headrests, that the camera is infinitely better than my eyes precisely for the wider field it provides, not to mention the camera's ability to see better in dark situations than my naked eye.

In vehicles where its a toss up or eye superiority is better, I agree the eyes have it.

I would imagine in the JK, with the tire getting in the way, a rear view camera view might be better.

I simply don't know in the JL with the lowered spare...others would have to chime in.
You use your eyes, you use your mirrors and you definitely use these rear cameras. If it's anything like the big screen Ram pickup's, the night time and daytime immediate rear vision is phenomenal.
Sponsored