Sponsored

My experience with JLU Sport with auto, 3.43 gears, Mopar 2" lift and 33" AT tires

OP
OP

Yoyo27983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU billet
Youre actually getting a little better mpg than you think. After you calibrate you'll probably see an average of 18 or so. At least that s what I average.
I sure hope you are right. I will talk to them this week about recalibration of the speedo.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Yoyo27983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU billet
Are you running a tuner by chance? Min was actually showing around 13 to 15 cruising in 7th at 74.

I feel your pain. But not enough to want to get rid of my Jeep. I've been driving Wranglers since 1988 and keep on coming back to them despite the less than optimal fuel economy. It's a sacrifice that I'm willing to make as it's the only vehicle I've ever owned that puts a smile on my face on a regular basis.

To give you another perspective, I too have the 2" Mopar lift on my Jeep paired with Black Rhino Barstows and Mastercraft Courser Mud Terrains which are just shy of 35." The combined weight for my wheel + tire package is 97 lb. My combined city + highway fuel economy is between 16.5 and 16.8 mpg. I drive between 75-80 mph. If I decrease my highway speed to around 72 mph on cruise control I can eek out 17 mpg. As you know, our Jeeps are nothing more than bricks traveling down the highway, especially with a lift kit on. There is nothing aerodynamic about a Wrangler. I just accept it and smile every time I get in my Jeep.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I did not expect it to drop from 25 to 16mpg. That was a shock. And I did not expect it to be geared such that it can't stay in 8th gear even if you mash on it to try to maintain the current speed. The lift made a bigger difference in mpg than I expected. I don't remember reading about the mpg cost of lifts anywhere. I guess I will get used to it, maybe. I would like to hear what the Rubicons are getting, I'm curious now. I do think that the Rubicon is geared to better handle bigger tires , more so than the sport. Maybe they did try to engineer every single mpg out of this model. Even to the point of running thin oil as I have seen others post. If you find and read my other post about all the problems I have had , maybe you could understand why I feel like this after spending that much money only to find out I get to now regear, trade up for a Rubi, take off the lift, or just be satisfied with what it is. This is not my first jeep but it will be my last.
The Rubi will have more power but I don't see why it would have better gas mileage. The higher gears will have a slight MPG penalty and the Rubi is heavier as well. I have a Sport S though so I would be interested to hear from others.

OP
OP

Yoyo27983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU billet
Haven't received my ordered JL yet but have 295/70/17s and new wheels waiting, will be using the stock tire & wheel set for our long road trips (over 400 miles round trip) which we do about 3x a year and keeping the bigger tires/wheels on the rest of the time. Didn't buy the JL for mpg, our Infiniti G isn't great on gas either, but both are fun & not boring :)
My wife tells me all the time that I don't smile enough. Maybe next time she says that I will tell her that all I need is a littLe bigger hill to climb and more holes to play in. LOL

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Sport 2.0L auto 2dr 2" lift
305/65/17 just over 32"
re cal'd speedo
8th gear works fine
getting 24 mpg highway
I think the E torque works great with the Auto........engine runs at much lower rpm and maintains speed without having to wind up the rpm's

Sponsored

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
Are you running a tuner by chance? Min was actually showing around 13 to 15 cruising in 7th at 74.
I am using a Tazer Lite to calibrate for the increase in tire size and in turn it has adjusted the shift points of the tranny. Pre Tazer I was averaging 14-15 mpg and the shifting sucked.

George999

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport Willys
Vehicle Showcase
I have been watching this thread, and some others on this subject, I can see both sides. This is my first Wrangler, I have had other Jeep branded vehicles. The Wrangler i bought already had the 285/70/17's and a 2.5" lift, so i don't know anything different. I will say this as posted by another here, the temp i think has a lot to do with the MPG's, I purchased mine in Nov, still very warm in AL, now that the temp has dropped I went from around 18 to 16 MPG's . My thought is right now it's not a big deal as gas prices here are 1.95 @ Costco.

However, i am thinking of taking the lift off even though i really like how it looks, but seeing i don't have any of the OEM parts that were removed i would have to purchase them. What concerns me isn't the so much the gas mileage but the added wear and tear these mods are putting on the components. How much faster will other parts wear out? I still have to put on the LoD rock rails (another 100 lbs.) which i still haven't received and want to add a winch which also means new front bumper. So, when i add the rock rails, bumper, and winch then what will the MPG's be?

Don't get me wrong, I love this vehicle and i think this will be the first one i keep longer than 2 or 3 years. But and this is a big but, this is also my daily driver and need some decent gas mileage. If i can figure out how to keep it at 18 i would be satisfied with that.

I guess the true problem is coming from a VW Passat TDI getting 45 mpg's , to a Jeep Renegade getting 22 mpg's, now to the JL getting a lot of different mpg's

For me the true test will be @ Christmas as i make a 900 mile trek home to PA for the holiday. If i can push 18 mpg's out of it on the highway i will let it go, unless the other mods start eating in as well. For me the lift isn't that important I have no intention of climbing over boulders, but do have plans for off road adventures.

At this point I don't know anymore, does it make any sense, am i right, wrong, doesn't make a difference. I have read so many of these posts i'm not sure what to believe or do any more.

All i really wanted was a vehicle that could go just about anywhere, do just about anything and have fun, but now i feel like i am in some type of competition. Maybe having the JL low and slow is the way to go.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I have been watching this thread, and some others on this subject, I can see both sides. This is my first Wrangler, I have had other Jeep branded vehicles. The Wrangler i bought already had the 285/70/17's and a 2.5" lift, so i don't know anything different. I will say this as posted by another here, the temp i think has a lot to do with the MPG's, I purchased mine in Nov, still very warm in AL, now that the temp has dropped I went from around 18 to 16 MPG's . My thought is right now it's not a big deal as gas prices here are 1.95 @ Costco.

However, i am thinking of taking the lift off even though i really like how it looks, but seeing i don't have any of the OEM parts that were removed i would have to purchase them. What concerns me isn't the so much the gas mileage but the added wear and tear these mods are putting on the components. How much faster will other parts wear out? I still have to put on the LoD rock rails (another 100 lbs.) which i still haven't received and want to add a winch which also means new front bumper. So, when i add the rock rails, bumper, and winch then what will the MPG's be?

Don't get me wrong, I love this vehicle and i think this will be the first one i keep longer than 2 or 3 years. But and this is a big but, this is also my daily driver and need some decent gas mileage. If i can figure out how to keep it at 18 i would be satisfied with that.

I guess the true problem is coming from a VW Passat TDI getting 45 mpg's , to a Jeep Renegade getting 22 mpg's, now to the JL getting a lot of different mpg's

For me the true test will be @ Christmas as i make a 900 mile trek home to PA for the holiday. If i can push 18 mpg's out of it on the highway i will let it go, unless the other mods start eating in as well. For me the lift isn't that important I have no intention of climbing over boulders, but do have plans for off road adventures.

At this point I don't know anymore, does it make any sense, am i right, wrong, doesn't make a difference. I have read so many of these posts i'm not sure what to believe or do any more.

All i really wanted was a vehicle that could go just about anywhere, do just about anything and have fun, but now i feel like i am in some type of competition. Maybe having the JL low and slow is the way to go.
Good post. All those mods are heavy. It will kill gas mileage. It's a trade-off, especially for a daily driver. And frankly most of them are not necessary to enjoy a Jeep for most off-roading.

In theory the Turbo should handle weight better, but I haven't heard from enough owners to know if that is true.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI

You have conflicting feelings lol.
If mpg is your concern keep it as stock as possible. Why add a winch and bumper etc? It doesn’t sound like you need all that extra weight. All season tires save fuel. Weight burns fuel.
Unless you are going to do some serious off-roading, stay stock and get the tools for the occasional off road trip. 90% of the mods you see around here are for looks, winch included.

George999

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If mpg is your concern keep it as stock as possible. Why add a winch and bumper etc? It doesn’t sound like you need all that extra weight. All season tires save fuel. Weight burns fuel.
Unless you are going to do some serious off-roading, stay stock and get the tools for the occasional off road trip. 90% of the mods you see around here are for looks, winch included.
Yeah i can't argue that, call it a mid life crisis, I want all the gadgets. Honestly, i will probably stop with the rock sliders. When i ordered them i didn't know as much as i do now and still learning.

Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Yeah i can't argue that, call it a mid life crisis, I want all the gadgets. Honestly, i will probably stop with the rock sliders. When i ordered them i didn't know as much as i do now and still learning.
Hey Bilbo Baggins, allow me to be your Gandalf. Get out there and have some real adventure with your Jeep! That's what your life crisis is probably telling you. Earn the need of a winch, only then consider buying one. There are already enough Walter Mitty Jeep owners, don't be another one.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
it's not a big deal as gas prices here are 1.95 @ Costco.
Oh my god, Id give my left nut for those prices. Sorry no help, just thought youre lucky to pay that!

George999

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Bilbo Baggins, allow me to be your Gandalf. Get out there and have some real adventure with your Jeep! That's what your life crisis is probably telling you. Earn the need of a winch, only then consider buying one. There are already enough Walter Mitty Jeep owners, don't be another one.
Your right, and have no plans on being Walter Mitty

WillDo559

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon unlimited
Oh my god, Id give my left nut for those prices. Sorry no help, just thought youre lucky to pay that!
That's pretty funny. I was reading the whole thread until I saw that price, just paid 4.25/gal this past weekend going to the beach..

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
For me the true test will be @ Christmas as i make a 900 mile trek home to PA for the holiday.
That sounds familiar. I'm waiting to see if my JLU Sport arrives in time for our own 900 mile trip back home to PA. I see it as a chance for a good shake down cruise. This is my 4th Jeep so I'm looking forward to seeing how it handles both the long distance drive and then some of the trails I'm familiar with. I'll keep it stock for a while until I'm positive it's not a lemon.

BTW, Butler area (Pittsburgh) is my origin.
Sponsored