Sponsored

How To Install Running Boards - JLU

SuperSanta503

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
My running boards were delivered today and I was able to install them in less than 30 minutes including unpacking and finding tools. Ordered on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/352266024702 Local dealer wanted $449 plus tax.

First read the instructions or look at the pretty pictures.
sidestep6.jpg

Identify the correct side, this is the RH.
sidestep2.jpg

Line up the holes and install the running board.
sidestep1.jpg

Tighten up the 10mm nuts to spec.
sidestep4.jpg

Tighten up 13mm bolts to spec.
sidestep3.jpg

Repeat on other side.

Final Product:
sidestep5.jpg
Sponsored

oldowl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius 4 (2010) Audi Q5 (2014)
Have the running boards proved helpful for entering and exiting?

OP
OP
SuperSanta503

SuperSanta503

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Have the running boards proved helpful for entering and exiting?
Yes, especially with small kids it was a must-have. As for myself, the JL was higher than I expected and I believe the running boards will help extend the life of the drivers seat at the entry point where most seats get worn. They are in stock at Quadratec at the moment.

oldowl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, especially with small kids it was a must-have. As for myself, the JL was higher than I expected and I believe the running boards will help extend the life of the drivers seat at the entry point where most seats get worn. They are in stock at Quadratec at the moment.

oldowl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Also seems a considerable savings over factory order.

Sponsored

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Just saw the same boards listed for $365

Side note: what’s up with dealers listing brand new Wrangler’s on eBay?

OP
OP
SuperSanta503

SuperSanta503

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Just saw the same boards listed for $365

Side note: what’s up with dealers listing brand new Wrangler’s on eBay?
They were $365 at the time. Looks like they have sold 12, guess they upped the price. I purchased from this eBay store because they were out of stock everywhere else. Last time I checked they were available at Quadratec which would be my normal preference.

Dealers list cars on as many sites as possible for mass exposure, Craigslist, CarGurus, eBay, AutoTrader, etc.

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
They were $365 at the time. Looks like they have sold 12, guess they upped the price. I purchased from this eBay store because they were out of stock everywhere else. Last time I checked they were available at Quadratec which would be my normal preference.
Either way, that’s like $200 - $300 plus under the option on the website- they’re showing that option at $695 - that’s a pretty nice savings

For me it’s definitely worth shopping around for some of those extras- I don’t mind installing myself ;)

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
@SuperSanta503 could you give two measurements to help me out?

I’m looking for distance from the door sill to the running board, and also from the running board to the ground.

zeak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
My dealer just told me that they could install the running boards I bought from someone else for 390! That seems really high. I’m waiting delivery of the Jeep in the next week. It seems simple to install this at home, even for someone who isn’t handy. Am I missing something?

Sponsored

PowerGuy

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS StingGray
My dealer just told me that they could install the running boards I bought from someone else for 390! That seems really high. I’m waiting delivery of the Jeep in the next week. It seems simple to install this at home, even for someone who isn’t handy. Am I missing something?
Don’t walk away from the dealer, run as fast as you can. These aren’t hard to install, take your time, read the instructions and don’t rush it.

OP
OP
SuperSanta503

SuperSanta503

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Don’t walk away from the dealer, run as fast as you can. These aren’t hard to install, take your time, read the instructions and don’t rush it.
I agree. This is a super simple task. I believe they can add some accessories after the purchase and add the change to the original build sheet if they install it, but you need to ask for it, I'm not sure if running boards are on that list, and follow up on it it being added. That would be the only reason I would semi-understand paying $390 for an install. Even then, I wouldn't do it. I don't see how it would increase the value substantially by adding running boards to the build sheet.

zeak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. That’s what I thought. Sales guy said they couldn’t do it for free because it’s an aftermarket item and labor has to be charged. Fair enough, but it doesn’t sound like 390 worth of labor. Car has already been built and is in transit. A bit disappointed in the dealer with what has otherwise been a smooth process.

Also, the mopar boards don’t have all the screws/nuts/fasteners. Anybody know a good place to get these if mopar can’t send me some? Thanks.

Last edited:

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. That’s what I thought. Sales guy said they couldn’t do it for free because it’s an aftermarket item and labor has to be charged. Fair enough, but it doesn’t sound like 390 worth of labor. Car has already been built and is in transit. A bit disappointed in the dealer with what has otherwise been a smooth process.

Also, the mopar boards don’t have all the screws/nuts/fasteners. Anybody know a good place to get these if mopar can’t send me some? Thanks.
Hardware:
Homedepot or boltdepot.com ... latter has a better selection.

zeak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well thanks to everyone's advice i just saved $400. Got 6 flange bolts from the hardware store for $3. I'm not handy at all, and it took maybe 30 min to install both running boards. Unbelieveably simple. Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored