JL key fob alternative

LT03

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Hey guys. New to the group as I recently bought an 18 ruby and I’m curious about replacing the key fob. It’s the biggest key fob I’ve ever come across and really don’t need to carry the metal key around all the time especially since it’s a push button start. Has anyone found an alternative to the Jeep key fob that is completely outdated? I know it’s a stretch but looking for ideas so I don’t have to carry this monstrous key around. Thanks!
Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Isn't that why you purchased a Wrangler so you have room to store the key fob in the vehicle?

Seriously though.. Not sure there is a alternate. If you find one please let us know!

fob-jpg.jpg
clap.gif

Sponsored

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Isn't that why you purchased a Wrangler so you have room to store the key fob in the vehicle?

Seriously though.. Not sure there is a alternate. If you find one please let us know!

fob-jpg.jpg
This has to be the BEST representation the fob yet. Bravo!!

Oh yea, OP. Hmm. Not a lot of options. I suppose you could remove the switchblade then just carry that around and open your Jeep manually but to start it you'd still need the fob somewhere around inside the Jeep.

EDIT: OMG - someone could actually make Jeep luggage out of this photoshopped prototype! Yes - the button for the switchblade could be the wheels and the handle could be the part where we mortals attach our extra keys and stuff. Hmm...maybe I should switch careers? UH...NOT - ha ha!

Last edited:
OP
OP

LT03

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Too funny, thanks for the replies. Sdynak - that’s hilarious, exactly what I’m thinking. Hope Jeep comes up with something better. Had smaller key fobs in 1996.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Im amazed thinking back when tj and lj forums and when jk was released how off-road, technical and engineering oriented the threads were on the forums. Talk about welding and shimming dana carriers and custom fabrication. Now this is what cats are posting now...

Sponsored

OP
OP

LT03

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I have to admit the gigantic key fob is one of the few things I do not like on JL.

I did find a key fob cover to at least hide the big ugly black plastic design.

20181202_153534.jpg

20181202_153544.jpg
I like that key fob cover. Like to have something like that if I can’t get rid of the key fob entirely. Where did you get it from?

OP
OP

LT03

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Im amazed thinking back when tj and lj forums and when jk was released how off-road, technical and engineering oriented the threads were on the forums. Talk about welding and shimming dana carriers and custom fabrication. Now this is what cats are posting now...
Too bad you were looking for mechanical issues to talk about, I haven’t gotten there yet. Car is 3 days old and just curious about info for this little concern I have. There will be more fun things to address when upgrading the vehicle. Look forward to your comments when that happens soon. She’s a work in progress. I’m old school too and appreciate what you’re saying, unfortunately it’s a problem because this key digs into my thigh with a phone or wallet because it’s too big. Just looking for ideas if any. No harm in asking.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Check out Gibson Leatherworks, a forum sponsor. Several styles of fob holsters. Some clip to your belt, some attach to belt loop, some are for pocket carry.
You won’t believe it right now, but actually the first few days are all the size will bother you, unless you’re wearing your little sister’s skinny jeans.:giggle:.
I went the fob holster route because the key kept deploying out in my pocket . I now own a few of Mr Gibson’s products and can’t speak highly enough about them.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
You won’t believe it right now, but actually the first few days are all the size will bother you
I had to tell my wife the same thing when we met :rock:

Brett
Sponsored