First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I know a lot of folks will quote “real world” crash results but after seeing the European crash testing I think I’m out.

The 2019 or 2020 wrangler was going to be my midlife crisis car. A car that would be fun and take me back to the 90s when I drove a wrangler as a teen.

I had a hard time swallowing the gas mileage. Yes I believe in global warming because it’s a fact but I told myself there will be a plug in hybrid or an efficient diesel. But the diesel is taking years and if the plug in is anything like it we will be lucky to see it by 2025. The real world 3.6 and 2.0 mileage has been pitiful.

Still I kept hoping the diesel or the plug in would come in. But oh man. The 2017 wrangler was a marginal performer in crash tests but this puppy managed to do even worse. Do I really want to drive a car that would leave me seriously injured or dead in a 31mph crash? I mean severe chest and leg injuries? That’s insane to think my wife’s RDX hits a pole and my wrangler at the same speed. She gets a lift home and I’m in the icu or worse.

I just can’t justify it anymore. I was going for more of an overlanding rig and the ram aced its crash tests. I have a wife and a kid and I’m just not sure I can stomach the idea that one or all of us could die in the same crash that a small sedan’s occupants would walk away from.

I’ll try to keep an open mind until iihs tests it to see if these results are confirmed but man on man did this thing s%*# the bed when it comes to a frontal crash.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Did you look past the government biased crash ratings and analyze the results for what they really are? Did you look at the insurance claims for bodily injury over the past decade or more from wrangler owners? Crash tests are a marketing tool. The low rating is almost entirely due to the lack of "advanced safety features" such as automatic braking and lane assist. If you can't keep your vehicle in its lane, or enjoy tailgating, you deserve to hit something.

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
For real? Is this a troll thread?

Sponsored

Geral Hasten

First Name
Geral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I know a lot of folks will quote “real world” crash results but after seeing the European crash testing I think I’m out.

The 2019 or 2020 wrangler was going to be my midlife crisis car. A car that would be fun and take me back to the 90s when I drove a wrangler as a teen.

I had a hard time swallowing the gas mileage. Yes I believe in global warming because it’s a fact but I told myself there will be a plug in hybrid or an efficient diesel. But the diesel is taking years and if the plug in is anything like it we will be lucky to see it by 2025. The real world 3.6 and 2.0 mileage has been pitiful.

Still I kept hoping the diesel or the plug in would come in. But oh man. The 2017 wrangler was a marginal performer in crash tests but this puppy managed to do even worse. Do I really want to drive a car that would leave me seriously injured or dead in a 31mph crash? I mean severe chest and leg injuries? That’s insane to think my wife’s RDX hits a pole and my wrangler at the same speed. She gets a lift home and I’m in the icu or worse.

I just can’t justify it anymore. I was going for more of an overlanding rig and the ram aced its crash tests. I have a wife and a kid and I’m just not sure I can stomach the idea that one or all of us could die in the same crash that a small sedan’s occupants would walk away from.

I’ll try to keep an open mind until iihs tests it to see if these results are confirmed but man on man did this thing s%*# the bed when it comes to a frontal crash.

I have two wranglers the older I get the more I think of things like your comments. I have let my wishes overcome good since for many years. I swore I would have a jeep JT diesel , I am 72 and I am tired of waiting. I just sold my 2016 Rubicon unlimited with 12K of add on items. I purchased a Chevy Colorado diesel too pull our R Pod 180, works like a charm. We still have a 2018 Rubicon for a second auto , with only 8K in add on items. Love it, and it pulls 3000 LBS good with a high fuel consumption and 140 mile range. The ZR2 has 100 more mile range with twice the fuel mileage towing and the mountains of Colorado doesn't slow it down.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Its not necessary to bash someone for sharing what he read and decided. I don't take what he posted as a personal bashing on me or my decision. Most Jeep owners chose because of the off-road capability, not the on-road safety. If on-road safety is your driver for deciding on a vehicle, there are many better options. Each of us has different responsibilities and priorities.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
No rear side airbags continues to make it a bad family vehicle. Side accident puts kids head through side window.

I use mine as a 2 seater (back seat removed). I want to see iihs front tests before panicking. Also all tests clearly explain you cant compare a small vehicle vs a larger ones results, you can only compare same size vehicles due to obvious momentum differences that will play a large role in real world results.

however, 1 star is not acceptable , aftermarket bumpers likely dont improve anything (and may make it much much worse).

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
Because of the new aluminum doors side impact crashes are much more fatal. However frontal crashes the jeep rules!

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
This isn’t a troll thread and I don’t judge anyone for their decisions. This would be a daily driver for me. I don’t have the money or space for a toy rubicon. And for me doing commute driving each day I just can’t justify the risk and environmental damage just so I personally can go off roading in the spring and summer. You can read my posts. I’ve been really excited for this car for months now.

For a lot of people this is their toy car or they use it year round. Where I live and how I would personally use it I’m just not sure I can justify it anymore after the crash testing.

I kept telling myself this will be a fun car for the family, for camping, and for road trips. All my excitement was for the things I could do with my family with it. I kept saying there will be some fuel efficient options. The 2.0 didn’t pan out. The diesel or the plug in will do better. Then I told myself the jk didn’t crash too miserably. I mean it was bad but not abysmal. The jl surely will do better.

But as of now it is a very expensive car, with some quality issues, that guzzles gas and in a frontal collision is very very poor. I’m not hating on the wrangler. I’m sad that the designers put fuel efficiency and safety on the back burner. I can live with the quality issues and quirks. It’s a Jeep thing. But chugging gas like a 1970 Buick with a safety score to match shouldn’t be a Jeep thing in my book.

Ps. A steel bumper likely would only exacerbate the issue. The car doesn’t crumple and absorb energy well. Aftermarket steel bumpers aren’t going to help that. If anything they will transfer more force to the frame away from crumple zones and could make it worse.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
This isn’t a troll thread and I don’t judge anyone for their decisions. This would be a daily driver for me. I don’t have the money or space for a toy rubicon. And for me doing commute driving each day I just can’t justify the risk and environmental damage just so I personally can go off roading in the spring and summer. You can read my posts. I’ve been really excited for this car for months now.

For a lot of people this is their toy car or they use it year round. Where I live and how I would personally use it I’m just not sure I can justify it anymore after the crash testing.

I kept telling myself this will be a fun car for the family, for camping, and for road trips. All my excitement was for the things I could do with my family with it. I kept saying there will be some fuel efficient options. The 2.0 didn’t pan out. The diesel or the plug in will do better. Then I told myself the jk didn’t crash too miserably. I mean it was bad but not abysmal. The jl surely will do better.

But as of now it is a very expensive car, with some quality issues, that guzzles gas and in a frontal collision is very very poor. I’m not hating on the wrangler. I’m sad that the designers put fuel efficiency and safety on the back burner. I can live with the quality issues and quirks. It’s a Jeep thing. But chugging gas like a 1970 Buick with a safety score to match shouldn’t be a Jeep thing in my book.

Ps. A steel bumper likely would only exacerbate the issue. The car doesn’t crumple and absorb energy well. Aftermarket steel bumpers aren’t going to help that. If anything they will transfer more force to the frame away from crumple zones and could make it worse.
Cool. Have a nice day. https://priuschat.com/forum/

Two JLs in my household, so we’ll pick up the slack on the environmental impact.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon

please go buy something else that is Safer and doesnt pollute as much and uses less fuel, so there will be more gas availible for my Jeeps, Challenger and Durango

You know you want one of these, if not why are you wasting your time here posting about how your going to talk yourself out of purchasing it?

food for thought, how did families survive a mere 30 yrs ago in their little econoboxes, many which didnt even have air bags, abs etc etc

sorry but the JL is probably as good as it gets safety wise, 5000 lbs of armor, abs, air bags and all the other safety nannies. I dont worry about safety tests,CR etc, I can think for myself just buckle up, dont drink and drive, enjoy life. newer cars are safer, this a new design with latest tech. also I dont drive into fixed barriers, if they really wanted to provide good data, iihs would take common cars and smash them under controlled conditions into each other. Report the results They could afford to do it but wont because it wont fit their narrative, it would show larger vehichles are safer, Isaac Newton told us that a long time ago. We cant have that, since we are all supposed to save the planet, according to the fake news and drive small imports.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Because of the new aluminum doors side impact crashes are much more fatal. However frontal crashes the jeep rules!
the door panels dont provide crush protection in either case. Rear passengers heads go through window on side impact due to lack of rear side airbags.

The same reasons people claim they need a 4 door wrangler, are the same reasons the 4 door wrangler should have rear side airbags.

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
...food for thought, how did families survive a mere 30 yrs ago in their little econoboxes, many which didnt even have air bags, abs etc etc...
Not as well as today. 30 years ago, there were 19 vehicle fatalities per 100,000 people. Today, there are 11 per 100,000.
Sponsored