Sponsored

Bright White grille turning yellow

xj_scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
With white 2019's hitting the streets, can any new owners confirm or deny whether their 2019's are experiencing the grill yellowing?
Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Thought I'd post an update, mine looks just as good now as it did when it was repainted in mid July.

repainted grill.jpg

Dodgeman70592

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2011 Challenger SRT IE #94, 2023 392XR
So.......1300 miles later, add me to the list now too
So there still isn't a solid solution for this yet other than a respray? Mine is about to go in for first oil change and was gonna set up an appointment to address this and a few other "quirks" my new JL has. Not really digging the repaint idea, but the yellowing is really getting under my skin. Hope the dealer plays nice..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I spoke to a service manager at my local Jeep dealer which I wish to not name(I've had great luck with their sales team)
I wanted them to perform a couple of the TSB's and check into my yellowing grille. His response was "oh, all white vehicles will eventually have yellowing of the painted plastic pieces" :headbang:

I was actually in the process of swapping grilles on a white 2015 JK we had in the shop with 65k miles, and I very "politely" told him he was full of it. The factory grille on that JK matched the hood/fender perfect, the customer just wanted to replace it with a bedlined Sahara grill he received for free. I also owned a 2016 White JKU Rubicon that I put close to 20k miles on and sold in late 2017 for the JL. It didn't have the "yellowing" either.

I've had my JL for a little less than a year, it sits mostly in a garage whenever it is parked at work or home, and I have less than 6k miles on it. How can someone keep a straight face and tell me that it is normal for a vehicle this new to do that... How am I supposed to trust that service department or any for that matter. Anything mechanical I have already decided I will be doing myself, but the software updates/bodywork I am at the mercy of the dealership. :swear:

Sponsored

Johnhinesaz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Mine is slightly yellowing around the drivers side headlight. Also, the front passenger fender is yellowing almost exactly where the air intake is (Under the "N" in Rubicon. Although I live in Phoenix, it's parked in a garage about 23 hours per day so doubt this is a UV issue...

Supercharged

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Pontiac G8 GT, GMC Acadia
Unfortunately my PPG contact has only given me very limited information, as it’s an ongoing investigation as to the cause of the yellowing. This is what I know:

-Grill assembly is shipped to TNAP already painted from the supplier
-The yellowing seems to be in the same area in all cases (upper right hand portion of the grill, near the driver’s side headlight)
-All models affected
-They can’t replicate the yellowing in the lab, so it may not be heat/UV/etc. but rather some sort of contamination during assembly in TNAP

I’m speaking with my PPG contact tomorrow, so I’ll see what else I can get
Mach, any updates from your contacts at PPG?

Cody6597

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I spoke to a service manager at my local Jeep dealer which I wish to not name(I've had great luck with their sales team)
I wanted them to perform a couple of the TSB's and check into my yellowing grille. His response was "oh, all white vehicles will eventually have yellowing of the painted plastic pieces" :headbang:

I was actually in the process of swapping grilles on a white 2015 JK we had in the shop with 65k miles, and I very "politely" told him he was full of it. The factory grille on that JK matched the hood/fender perfect, the customer just wanted to replace it with a bedlined Sahara grill he received for free. I also owned a 2016 White JKU Rubicon that I put close to 20k miles on and sold in late 2017 for the JL. It didn't have the "yellowing" either.

I've had my JL for a little less than a year, it sits mostly in a garage whenever it is parked at work or home, and I have less than 6k miles on it. How can someone keep a straight face and tell me that it is normal for a vehicle this new to do that... How am I supposed to trust that service department or any for that matter. Anything mechanical I have already decided I will be doing myself, but the software updates/bodywork I am at the mercy of the dealership. :swear:
Hey Chris. I am at Texan Jeep on North 59 for the same issue along with the recalls today. The service manager looked at my

Hey Chris. I am at Texan Jeep on North 59 for a couple of items and I pointed out the yellowing on mine as well. They immediately said they would order me a new grill. Did you ever get yours resolved?

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Chris. I am at Texan Jeep on North 59 for the same issue along with the recalls today. The service manager looked at my

Hey Chris. I am at Texan Jeep on North 59 for a couple of items and I pointed out the yellowing on mine as well. They immediately said they would order me a new grill. Did you ever get yours resolved?
Unfortunately not. After my experience on the phone about my issue I have been very hesitant to take my Jeep to ANY dealer. My wife has had some warranty issues with Autonation Jeep Katy in the past couple months, and I had some issues with Helfman Dodge/Jeep off I-10 refusing to do warranty work on my 2015 Ram because I didn't purchase it from them(A couple months into ownership).
I expect the next thing they will say is that because my Jeep is lifted that it puts the grille closer to the Sun causing the yellowing of the plastic painted pieces. :facepalm:

I think I'm going to take it to a body shop and just pay out of pocket because I don't trust any of these service departments. If I didn't have a love for Wranglers I think I would be done with Dodge/Jeep/Ram as a whole due to these experiences. Between my wife & I we have purchased 9 Jeep/Chrysler vehicles since 2012 (6 being Wranglers), you think they would want to take care of us for minor warranty issues :computerrage:.

Cody6597

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately not. After my experience on the phone about my issue I have been very hesitant to take my Jeep to ANY dealer. My wife has had some warranty issues with Autonation Jeep Katy in the past couple months, and I had some issues with Helfman Dodge/Jeep off I-10 refusing to do warranty work on my 2015 Ram because I didn't purchase it from them(A couple months into ownership).
I expect the next thing they will say is that because my Jeep is lifted that it puts the grille closer to the Sun causing the yellowing of the plastic painted pieces. :facepalm:

I think I'm going to take it to a body shop and just pay out of pocket because I don't trust any of these service departments. If I didn't have a love for Wranglers I think I would be done with Dodge/Jeep/Ram as a whole due to these experiences. Between my wife & I we have purchased 9 Jeep/Chrysler vehicles since 2012 (6 being Wranglers), you think they would want to take care of us for minor warranty issues :computerrage:.
Closer to the sun is a problem. My elevation is 72 ft above sea level and they said any higher and I was SOL. In all seriousness no issues at this dealership. YET!

Sponsored

CAGrey

First Name
Grey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wranlger Sport S
Resurrecting this thread. Has anyone had an official statement on this from FCA. My white JL is turning yellow at the exact same spot on the grill as several posters here - above the driver's side headlight. Hoping that FCA has acknowledged it at I won't be hassled when I ask for a fix.

Thanks
I've only had my JL for 2 months.

BbyGrlJJ

First Name
Jamie Lynne
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tiktok.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Everyone~ My husband and I are getting ready to order our new JLUR from the dealer & doing some research before we place the orders. I am looking at getting Bright White with matching Freedom Top & Matching Fenders... Reading through this thread & noticing that a lot of the white jeeps are having issues with turning yellow.. Does the dealer cover this if this should happen? I also noticed someone repainted... Is that from Dealer or On your own dime?? Thanks in advance!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@BbyGrlJJ

Dealer will have the yellowing grill and grill molding (usually the driver's side grill molding) repainted and this is covered by your warranty. Other parts that might yellow would be covered under warranty also.

No forum member has been told that the repair would not be done or that they would have to pay for it.

Quite a few here have had their yellowing grills repainted and yes, covered by warranty.

DO read this whole thread that you have posted in!

71beepbeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Sahara
Had my grill painted by the dealer a couple of months ago. I noticed today that it is starting to yellow again around the drivers headlight.