Sponsored

How reliable is the new 3.6l? is it straight out of the gc?

sjappers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, tacoma
I have gotten the impression the new 3.6l is right out of gc, so not new at all? this true, and if it is is there any bad issuessor reliablity probs with gc 3.6l?
Sponsored

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
I have gotten the impression the new 3.6l is right out of gc, so not new at all? this true, and if it is is there any bad issuessor reliablity probs with gc 3.6l?
They have been using the 3.6 since 2012. The first year (2012) there were limited problems that were covered by warranty. With that said I have heard nothing but good things since 2013. The added start/stop technology for the JL but short of that the engine is the same. The transmission is new for the JL but the engine is the basic engine they have been using for over 5 years. I would have zero worries about the 3.6 V6.
BTW I test drove one yesterday and it pulled really strong and I was very impressed with the acceleration.

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
If you get a chance go test drive a Durango GT 3.6/8 speed. You won’t be disappointed

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
It's the slightly updated 3.6L that's been in the GC since 2016. I think the RAM 1500 has the newer one too. All the other FCA models still have the older version from 2012.

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
LOL...how reliable is it? I've 90K miles on mine. It's had the driver side head replaced twice. Water pump once. Radiator twice (seems to need a new one every 45K miles or so - I don't know a single person with a JK that hasn't had to have the radiator replaced at least once. Water pump twice. Oil cooler once. Anything that has coolant flow through it seems to fail fairly regularly. To get one and not get an extended warranty would be a bad move. My first trip in for service since my warranty expired cost me $1900. There is a class action lawsuit regarding the cause, which seems to be affecting all year models. Hopefully the JL isn't a victim of it too.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/jeep-wrangler-casting-sand-lawsuit-engine-damage.shtml

orey22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Jeep Wrangler 2dr / 2019 JL 2dr
I have 130K on my 2012 Rubicon with the first yr in the wrangler 3.6 and I'm happy. I also have had a new water pump, but that's the only major repair I've had done. I do have meshing in front of the radiator to protect it from impacts, not sure if that's why mine has lasted or not. Overall no major issues as of yet ( knock on wood ). I just ordered a new 2018 3.6, I trust the engine, if the diesel had a manual tranny I'd be going with that, but oh well.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have 130K on my 2012 Rubicon with the first yr in the wrangler 3.6 and I'm happy. I also have had a new water pump, but that's the only major repair I've had done. I do have meshing in front of the radiator to protect it from impacts, not sure if that's why mine has lasted or not. Overall no major issues as of yet ( knock on wood ). I just ordered a new 2018 3.6, I trust the engine, if the diesel had a manual tranny I'd be going with that, but oh well.
Mine has never been damaged. It's been replaced along with the oil cooler and water pump twice due to clogging from "contaminants". I've never opened it or added to it, so anything clogging a closed system had to have been put in by the factory.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I have had 4 Pentastar 3.6L in my 2011 GC, 2012 JKU and 2015 JK & JKU, first two had ~75,000 KMs, no problems, next two are at ~20,000 and ~50,000 KMS respectively without issue (put 17,000 KMs on JKU in just over a month last summer).

As mentioned the Pentastar was refreshed with some pretty significant improvements in 2016, and now extends across all platforms for 2018 (Charger and Challenger last year, Wrangler JL and Ram this year).

http://australiancar.reviews/2016_Pentastar_V6.php

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The Pentastar was one of the things I was most looking forward to in my JL. Everyone I know with one loves them and has had zero issues. I've seen lots of used oil analyses, and it appears to be an engine that is very easy on oil, too. Haven't seen a UOA from a new one yet, though. I'll get several from mine, including one after the first oil change.

Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
They have been using the 3.6 since 2012. The first year (2012) there were limited problems that were covered by warranty. With that said I have heard nothing but good things since 2013. The added start/stop technology for the JL but short of that the engine is the same. The transmission is new for the JL but the engine is the basic engine they have been using for over 5 years. I would have zero worries about the 3.6 V6.
BTW I test drove one yesterday and it pulled really strong and I was very impressed with the acceleration.
I was able to really get on it today for the first time (finally got about 350 miles on it) and it pulls hard with that 8 speed auto! No complaints here or in my wife's GC.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
This is one positive point I have with newer Wranglers. The Pentastar is a proven engine these days, and I'm looking forward to having one in my Wrangler. I loved that old 4.0 straight six like so many others, but this thing is a great mill.

No direct injection--good. Plenty of cars are having problems with theirs. Decent mpg and power. The Wrangler is supposed to be a time tested vehicle with old tech anyways!

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build
I’ve personally put 120k on 2
Pentistars . All I did was change the oil with synthetic on 5k intervals and they ran like a watch . Not one problem.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

LIMITED PROBLEMS? 40% of the 3.6's made for 2012 and early 2013 had faulty heads. I don't know that I'd say that was very limited. Add in the fact that all years have had problems with remnant casting sand left in the block to later clog up radiators and heaters, etc. My 2012 had the radiator, water pump and heater replaced at 43,000 miles and then had to have the radiator, water pump and oil cooler replaced at 92,000 miles. DO NOT BUY a 3.6L without getting extended warranty. It is definitely the cheaper way out.

Jrauck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ
LIMITED PROBLEMS? 40% of the 3.6's made for 2012 and early 2013 had faulty heads. I don't know that I'd say that was very limited. Add in the fact that all years have had problems with remnant casting sand left in the block to later clog up radiators and heaters, etc. My 2012 had the radiator, water pump and heater replaced at 43,000 miles and then had to have the radiator, water pump and oil cooler replaced at 92,000 miles. DO NOT BUY a 3.6L without getting extended warranty. It is definitely the cheaper way out.
Source? Last thing I read was that this problem affected 1/2 of 1 percent of jeeps. On top of that years 11-13 had the warranty extended for the head... after the affected years, the head defect was fixed and to my knowledge there haven't been any problems.
Radiator on the other hand I totally get as I know tons of people that go off roading and never empty their radiators like they should.
Sponsored