Attn: MAll Crawlers/Urban Dwellers

sleepnclass

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
ugh. I hate the term mall crawler. can't we just be glad that people 'get' jeeps, and more importantly keep the brand alive? I mean I don't care how someone else uses their jeep.
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I carry a spare and an 18" breaker bar, but I never let a dealer/shop use air guns on my NUTS, ooops I mean LUG NUTS--

W.E.

JIMBO

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
ugh. I hate the term mall crawler. can't we just be glad that people 'get' jeeps, and more importantly keep the brand alive? I mean I don't care how someone else uses their jeep.
If it weren’t for mall crawlers the Jeep would have gone the way of the Land Rover Defender long ago. Keeping a product line alive just for hardcore niche enthusiast isn’t profitable. The most hardcore usually buy used and mod it anyway.

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
I don't know why people care either way. About half of all cars today don't have spares. Most flats can be just as easily fixed with a plug kit. If you have your tires rotated at a dealership or tire shop they're usually overtorqued anyway and the cheesy little tire iron you get with the vehicle couldn't take them off even if you wanted to.
This is a very valid point and awakened a memory I had repressed... changing a flat tire on my wife's Grand Cherokee. She called me saying her tire was going flat. I told her to get off the hghway and into a parking lot. She did, maybe five miles from home. I got there to find the tire absolutely trashed but the wheel was still ok. She was on a flat asphalt parking lot. I attempted to put on the spare.

I'm not new to this stuff. I've done a lot of work on a lot of cars and bikes. I was unable to change the wheel with the factory supplied tools. I tried. After the Jeep fell off the jack I gave up, drove home, and got a real hydraulic jack. Now I know what you're thinking, must be an idiot to have Jeep fall off the jack. Yes it was in gear, yes the parking brake was on, yes

The stock jack in her GC is a complete POS. There is absolutely no way she would have been able to fix it herself, and no way I could/would have fixed it on the side of a highway. A AAA membership would be a lot more useful than the spare and tools she had...

sleepnclass

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
If it weren’t for mall crawlers the Jeep would have gone the way of the Land Rover Defender long ago. Keeping a product line alive just for hardcore niche enthusiast isn’t profitable. The most hardcore usually buy used and mod it anyway.
EXACTLY. Let some dude buy a wrangler and make it look like it goes off road. who cares. It will keep jeep from cutting the wrangler's balls off and making another renegade.

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
And I don't know about where you're from, but in my area malls are shutting down left and right and will soon be a thing of the past. Maybe those who feel the need to denigrate those of us who do not climb mountains with our Wranglers need to think of something more modern and relevant.

Of course, if malls completely shut down and are reduced to rubble, you'd probably see a bunch of Rubicons attempting to scale those piles. So then they'd be the mall crawlers?

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
NOPE, then we just callem 'SOCKER MOMS"

W.E.

JIMBO

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
While I run a spare, after many years of doing so, I found it funny/stupid to have one just running around town. Most of us are running tires that are 10 ply rated, have massive lugs, and are made to run over sharp rocks and trees, and we're afraid of puncturing them on a casual road? I caught a screw in my 35" duratrac a while back, and it was leaking air...I was able to take the screw out and plug the tire without even taking it off the Jeep, and I have onboard air to refill when Im done. The reality is, the odds of you getting a flat on offroad tires is fairly low, and the odds of it being not repairable right then and there are practically 0. When I get my JL with 37" coopers, I very well may not run a spare around town, and only throw it on when I head out on a wheeling trip out west.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Has anyone here actually called roadside assistance? They outsource their tows to the lowest bidder which often times means it will take hours before they arrive. Whereas I can change my tire in no time. When you finally get a flat that you can't plug, you're going to be glad you carried a spare all these years.

I don't know about everyone else, but I like to be self sufficient and not have to rely on calling someone. Aren't the spare delete people the same people who say things like "that's not a real jeep, that's a mall crawler" Well you're not a real man if you cry about carry around a spare tire and changing it yourself if god forbid you ever get a flat? or how about why even buy a winch if you're probably never going to use it? C'mon logic

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Again, it's all good to be self sufficient. An onboard compressor and a $30 plug kit will take care of anything you need with a road flat on a large offroad tire.

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
And I don't know about where you're from, but in my area malls are shutting down left and right and will soon be a thing of the past. Maybe those who feel the need to denigrate those of us who do not climb mountains with our Wranglers need to think of something more modern and relevant.

Of course, if malls completely shut down and are reduced to rubble, you'd probably see a bunch of Rubicons attempting to scale those piles. So then they'd be the mall crawlers?
Orange Julius was child’s play, but crawling up Mt Sears and JC Penny got real technical.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Has anyone here actually called roadside assistance? They outsource their tows to the lowest bidder which often times means it will take hours before they arrive. Whereas I can change my tire in no time. When you finally get a flat that you can't plug, you're going to be glad you carried a spare all these years.

I don't know about everyone else, but I like to be self sufficient and not have to rely on calling someone. Aren't the spare delete people the same people who say things like "that's not a real jeep, that's a mall crawler" Well you're not a real man if you cry about carry around a spare tire and changing it yourself if god forbid you ever get a flat? or how about why even buy a winch if you're probably never going to use it? C'mon logic
Most breakdowns around here usually mean you’re on a 10 mile long elevated highway with drunks and semi trucks clipping you with their side mirrors at 90 mph.
Self sufficiency only works if everybody else isn’t an idiot.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I'll offer up my opinion to the original question here. I don't remember the last time I changed a flat tire (never owned my own off-road vehicle until last week), it's probably been at least 20 years. So I suppose I've been carrying around spare tires (mostly compact ones) for really no apparent reason, because chances are I'd probably just call roadside assistance anyway.

But it's a Jeep - it just doesn't look right without a big ol' tire on the back, right along with the 7-slot grille and round headlights. Again, just my opinion.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Most breakdowns around here usually mean you’re on a 10 mile long elevated highway with drunks and semi trucks clipping you with their side mirrors at 90 mph.
Self sufficiency only works if everybody else isn’t an idiot.
So just drive to the shoulder with the remaining 3 wheels. Wouldn't you have to move anyways if you're in the middle of the road? and it doesn't even matter if you fuck up your rims because you have a matching SPARE. Most of the time I've gotten flats is from construction zones and I was done changing wheels in no time. Simple as that, and just order a replacement online if unpatchable. Why even carry fire extinguishers or guns anymore if you're probably never ever going to use it in your lifetime.

I can't believe so many people on a manly rock crawling wrangler forum would rather call a tow truck and wait hours instead of changing a simple tire themselves. Mind boggling.

the3rdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2019 GCM Wrangler Rubi 2.0 turbo 2015 Ram Promaster City.. Past: 2016 VW Golf R 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2011 VW GTI
Just don't use that spare, mismatched tire sizes on the same axle=not good
It would only be to get from point A to B
I have a full size spare wheel and tire
Sponsored