Sponsored

Adaptive Cruise Control 2019- need report from new owners

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I ordered the ACC, I was worried after seeing some of the pictures, but after seeing the ACC in some of the JT videos, I don't think its going to be an issue. I will find out for sure in a week or two.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Akbill

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
When someone gets a new 2019 with the adaptive cruise control and collision avoidance features, please report on its functionality. So far no one outside of Jeep knows exactly how it will work, speculation is all we have at this point. Will is support stop and go without resetting in busy traffic? Will the collision avoidance do only partial braking or will it do a full stop? Etc, etc.
thanks in advance
ok, so the manual shows that in fact ACC is functional as far as stop and go, allowing up to 2 seconds stopped with automatic resume, longer than 2 seconds and the system cancels ACC. Page 369 in manual.
You can access a PDF version of the 2019 Owner's Manual at the following link: https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us/care/owners-manual.html

"If the ACC system brings your vehicle to a standstill while following a target vehicle, if the target vehicle starts moving within two seconds of your vehicle coming to a standstill, your vehicle will resume motion without the need for any driver action.
If the target vehicle does not start moving within two seconds of your vehicle coming to a standstill, the ACC with Stop system will cancel and the brakes will release.A cancel message will display on the instrument cluster display and produce a warning chime. Driver intervention will be required at this moment."

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
ok, so the manual shows that in fact ACC is functional as far as stop and go, allowing up to 2 seconds stopped with automatic resume, longer than 2 seconds and the system cancels ACC. Page 369 in manual.
You can access a PDF version of the 2019 Owner's Manual at the following link: https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us/care/owners-manual.html

"If the ACC system brings your vehicle to a standstill while following a target vehicle, if the target vehicle starts moving within two seconds of your vehicle coming to a standstill, your vehicle will resume motion without the need for any driver action.
If the target vehicle does not start moving within two seconds of your vehicle coming to a standstill, the ACC with Stop system will cancel and the brakes will release.A cancel message will display on the instrument cluster display and produce a warning chime. Driver intervention will be required at this moment."
From my experience in testing it over the past few days, that is pretty much how it works. One thing I would add is that if at anytime you press the accelerator while ACC is active, it will display a message saying "Driver Override" and will then no longer actively control brakes or accelerator until you release the pedal.

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Maybe it's just me but when I'm driving freeway speeds I'm generally paying enough attention to accelerate or decelerate or brake.
I use Cruise Control all day in my Lincoln and my Motorhome and my Jeep is the last place I'd want ACC.
Also I'm 6'2" and have flipped the mirror upside down because of the already restricted view.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe it's just me but when I'm driving freeway speeds I'm generally paying enough attention to accelerate or decelerate or brake.
I use Cruise Control all day in my Lincoln and my Motorhome and my Jeep is the last place I'd want ACC.
Also I'm 6'2" and have flipped the mirror upside down because of the already restricted view.
IMO - it's not that I'm not paying attention, it's that I don't have to adjust to what I see. With normal CC you have to shut it off or adjust to slower speed when you come up on a slower driver, but with ACC it does it for you. Just eliminates an annoyance I guess.

Sponsored

OK_Sooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the ACC unit can be removed from the rearview mirror/windshield? I'm considering ordering a Rubicon with this option and would like to know if it's possible to remove the unit if i don't like it. I haven't seen any 2019 JLs with this option at nearby dealerships so I haven't been able to see what it looks like in person and behind the wheel.

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
IMO - it's not that I'm not paying attention, it's that I don't have to adjust to what I see. With normal CC you have to shut it off or adjust to slower speed when you come up on a slower driver, but with ACC it does it for you. Just eliminates an annoyance I guess.
I guess if always been content with adjusting for what I see.

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
One other question from those that have this. Does this option also include the automatic wipers? As I was driving this morning in a snowstorm in my Cherokee, it made me realize that the ACC sensor will be covered up by the snow or slush on my windshield potentially.

JohnnyB54

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
One other question from those that have this. Does this option also include the automatic wipers? As I was driving this morning in a snowstorm in my Cherokee, it made me realize that the ACC sensor will be covered up by the snow or slush on my windshield potentially.
No, ACC does not have automatic wipers. That’s the one thing I really miss having.

Sponsored

kuyakuya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 VW GTI VR6, 2019 Jeep JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
I just picked up my Mojito JLUR from Jim Marsh out in Las Vegas and drove it ~300 miles back home to Southern California on the I-15. It has the Adaptive Cruise Control feature (with the 6-speed manual), and I turned it on for a good chunk of the drive. This is my first experience with this type of system, but it was so convenient that now I'll plan to use it on all my long road trips.

Initially, ACC was non-intuitive to activate. I had assumed that regular cruise control had to be on first before enabling ACC, but when you do that, pressing the ACC button turns off cruise control. After a few failed attempts, I had my wife read the manual as I was driving, and learned that you press the ACC button first, wait for the "ACC Ready" display on the dash, then push the "Set (+)" button to set the current speed as the target speed.

Once it was on, ACC worked great! I set it to be exactly the speed limit (70 mph), and it attempts to maintain this speed unless there's a car detected in front. When a car is detected, it will slow down to match the speed of that car based on the distance you've set. Note that there's a cool display when it detects another car--I like how it assumes the car in front is a Willys! (See attached image.) In answer to the original post, unfortunately (or fortunately?) I have not been able to test the collision avoidance feature yet.

For the manual transmission version, ACC does not turn on if you're going less than 20 mph or if you're in first gear, so no stop-and-go usage for me. Also, I have to play with the optimal gear to be in--for 70 mph, I was initially in 5th, but it was struggling to maintain that speed on the hilly part of the I-15, so I downshifted to 4th. My overall gas mileage with ACC turned on was not great either (~18 mpg), so I need to figure out how to improve that too.

Hope this helps. By the way, this is my first post, but I've been reading these forums for about a year. I appreciate all the good info, and the advice I've read helped me make an informed decision when I did finally decide to buy a Jeep. Thanks, JL Wrangler Forums community!

ACC car detected.jpg

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just picked up my Mojito JLUR from Jim Marsh out in Las Vegas and drove it ~300 miles back home to Southern California on the I-15. It has the Adaptive Cruise Control feature (with the 6-speed manual), and I turned it on for a good chunk of the drive. This is my first experience with this type of system, but it was so convenient that now I'll plan to use it on all my long road trips.

Initially, ACC was non-intuitive to activate. I had assumed that regular cruise control had to be on first before enabling ACC, but when you do that, pressing the ACC button turns off cruise control. After a few failed attempts, I had my wife read the manual as I was driving, and learned that you press the ACC button first, wait for the "ACC Ready" display on the dash, then push the "Set (+)" button to set the current speed as the target speed.

Once it was on, ACC worked great! I set it to be exactly the speed limit (70 mph), and it attempts to maintain this speed unless there's a car detected in front. When a car is detected, it will slow down to match the speed of that car based on the distance you've set. Note that there's a cool display when it detects another car--I like how it assumes the car in front is a Willys! (See attached image.) In answer to the original post, unfortunately (or fortunately?) I have not been able to test the collision avoidance feature yet.

For the manual transmission version, ACC does not turn on if you're going less than 20 mph or if you're in first gear, so no stop-and-go usage for me. Also, I have to play with the optimal gear to be in--for 70 mph, I was initially in 5th, but it was struggling to maintain that speed on the hilly part of the I-15, so I downshifted to 4th. My overall gas mileage with ACC turned on was not great either (~18 mpg), so I need to figure out how to improve that too.

Hope this helps. By the way, this is my first post, but I've been reading these forums for about a year. I appreciate all the good info, and the advice I've read helped me make an informed decision when I did finally decide to buy a Jeep. Thanks, JL Wrangler Forums community!

ACC car detected.jpg
I never noticed the Willy's in front of me when turning it on, nice touch! Did you notice your FCW is not turned on? I don't think mine was by default either.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
My opinion is that all these new options that take away the act of driving from the driver, makes us lazy and there for makes us a worse driver.

hai5rockin

First Name
Hai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Patriot, MOAB 19
I never noticed the Willy's in front of me when turning it on, nice touch! Did you notice your FCW is not turned on? I don't think mine was by default either.
mine was showing off as default out of the factory for my 19 MOAB too. hm... can be changed in the menu options. But cool find for sure! Never realized the Willy in front.

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
I am on fence about ordering this. Does it remove the automatic wipers?
Sponsored