DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If you lose the clutch you can shift by Rev-matching. To shift up you pull out of gear and apply gentle pressure to the next gear while letting the revs drop. When you have hit the right rpm the shifter will slide into gear. To downshift you have to goose the throttle to get the revs up to synchronous speed, then the shifter will slide in. It does take some practice but it can be done well with little to no grinding. Just don't stop
I drove from Indianapolis to Kansas City with no clutch in my JK. Of course it was mostly highway, but I did have to stop a few times. I was on the way to Moab and praying for a Jeep dealer open on Saturday and one that had a new slave cylinder in stock. Man, were prayers answered that day!

It isn't desirable, but in a pinch, it can be done.
Sponsored

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon; Mazda RX-8
I drove from Indianapolis to Kansas City with no clutch in my JK. Of course it was mostly highway, but I did have to stop a few times. I was on the way to Moab and praying for a Jeep dealer open on Saturday and one that had a new slave cylinder in stock. Man, were prayers answered that day!

Yeah, I had it happen to me when I was up in the sequoias in my old '90 accord 5-speed, had to make it back down to civilization until I found a place with a slave cylinder. Fortunately honda parts are abundant...

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S

I’ve done this several times in the past - in a VW bug and later in a Golf. But in those cars I was able to start it in gear to get them moving.

How do you get the JL moving without a clutch - unless you’re in 4L?

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon; Mazda RX-8
I’ve done this several times in the past - in a VW bug and later in a Golf. But in those cars I was able to start it in gear to get them moving.

How do you get the JL moving without a clutch - unless you’re in 4L?
I believe the switch for the clutch is above the pedal in the JL (like most vehicles) so in theory you could do the same thing as long as you put the clutch in. Without the slave cylinder it wouldn't do anything but it would let you turn the starter over I think

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I believe the switch for the clutch is above the pedal in the JL (like most vehicles) so in theory you could do the same thing as long as you put the clutch in. Without the slave cylinder it wouldn't do anything but it would let you turn the starter over I think
Correct and if you are a steep hill you can always start in 4L and shift to 2H once rolling.

Sponsored

callerys

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1984 CJ7
Has anyone had any grinding noises during shifts? I have a Jeep service manager in the neighborhood and mentioned that he had a few come in. Nothing they could do even after replacing the clutch/flywheel and eventually transmission.

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone had any grinding noises during shifts? I have a Jeep service manager in the neighborhood and mentioned that he had a few come in. Nothing they could do even after replacing the clutch/flywheel and eventually transmission.
Mine grinds a little going into 3rd but it’s still under 1,000 miles. I’m gonna give it a little while to break in and see where it’s at before I go into panic mode.

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I went with a manual even though I haven't driven one in over 30 years! I'm hoping my motorcycle riding will translate into shifting gears in the Jeep. If not, I apologize in advance to the transmission I'll soon be torturing. My Jeep (2-door Sport S in Punk'n Metallic) is on a train and on its way to Southern California. I should be grinding gears before Christmas!

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I went with a manual even though I haven't driven one in over 30 years! I'm hoping my motorcycle riding will translate into shifting gears in the Jeep. If not, I apologize in advance to the transmission I'll soon be torturing. My Jeep (2-door Sport S in Punk'n Metallic) is on a train and on its way to Southern California. I should be grinding gears before Christmas!
Hahah you’ll be fine. It’s the same principal as a motorcycle just your hands and feet are reversed.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I went about 17 years in between manual vehicles. It came right back within minutes. You should have no problem.

gfo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Ordered a 2019 Sahara JLU with a manual! I learned how to drive stick on my dad's 2001 TJ and it wouldn't feel like a Jeep without it.

Happy to be in the significant minority of my generation who can still drive stick - it's also a great anti-theft device :D

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Ordered a 2019 Sahara JLU with a manual! I learned how to drive stick on my dad's 2001 TJ and it wouldn't feel like a Jeep without it.

Happy to be in the significant minority of my generation who can still drive stick - it's also a great anti-theft device :D
You are right, but I rather not think of it as a minority, it is more like special club. My kids are even younger tan you and they all belong as well :rock:
Sponsored

Reactions: gfo