Sponsored

Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED)

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
Shoot me a PM I might be able to cut you a set if I have enough vinyl.

Thule has a similar product for theirs which I tried on these racks first and it did not work, it doesn’t cover up enough if the gaps and doesn’t stay in well
Given this is a Yakima rack I figured their filler strip would fit better.

My wife's car has the thule aero blade setup and the bottom filler setup is very different, if that's the material you used.
Sponsored

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Given this is a Yakima rack I figured their filler strip would fit better - it should be exactly the same as what is in the center bottom of the bars.

My wife's car has the thule aero blade setup and the bottom filler setup is very different, if that's the material you used.
Ya that’s the one I had tried. And ya I didn’t realize it was actually a Yakima. I think you might be right let us know if it works!

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
Ya that’s the one I had tried. And ya I didn’t realize it was actually a Yakima. I think you might be right let us know if it works!
Will do, should be here the week after Thanksgiving. I'll have to use gorilla tape in the meantime.

alexyu650

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
One quick update, also confirmed the Thule lock cores DO NOT fit this, but as stated by @Boatbuilder88 I grabbed a set of the the Yakima lock cores and they fit perfectly!

IMG_0591.jpeg
Which model Yakima lock cores are you using? I have the same rack and the plastic lock sucks.

Sponsored

snakevsplane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I tried this fix for the whistling and applied the vinyl from your Amazon link. All vinyl flew off within 10 minutes of 50-60mph speeds.

I believe this is due to the fact that the weather is 30 F. Unless I somehow applied the stickers wrong lol.

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
I tried this fix for the whistling and applied the vinyl from your Amazon link. All vinyl flew off within 10 minutes of 50-60mph speeds.

I believe this is due to the fact that the weather is 30 F. Unless I somehow applied the stickers wrong lol.
Did you clean the entire bottom of the rack with alcohol really well first? This makes a night and day difference on how well it sticks. Also not sure if you applied the vinyl while the rack was outside on the vehicle and it was still cold? If so I would bring it inside. I have had zero issues so far with it coming off.

snakevsplane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Rack was room temp when I applied. However I only cleaned with water, and let it dry before applying vinyl.

Will give the alcohol wipe down a shot and try again. That $10 got me enough vinyl for about 10 tries lol. I'll try to update.

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Rack was room temp when I applied. However I only cleaned with water, and let it dry before applying vinyl.

Will give the alcohol wipe down a shot and try again. That $10 got me enough vinyl for about 10 tries lol. I'll try to update.
gotcha, ya alcohol is night and day with the adhesion, those racks can be pretty greasy out of the box, it should really stick on there and be pretty obvious that the adhesion is good, mine were pretty hard to remove

Sponsored

Poseidon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
Just wanted to share a few customizations I made to my Mopar roof rack, including solving the whistling issue which seems to have hit or miss solutions in other threads.

1) Red decals: I cut some red Jeep decals to fill in the Jeep logos to add a little bit of color and match the accents on Jeep

IMG_0305.jpeg

IMG_0377.jpeg

2) Paint protection: I noticed on my JK the roof rack did leave a little bit of marks on the hard top, so to avoid anything I cut some small rectangles of clear bra paint protection film from 3M in order to protect the paint where it grips, this also turns out to make it super easy and fast to put the roof racks back on and off exactly in the correct spot since the film marks the spot basically

IMG_0331 2.jpeg

IMG_0332 2.jpeg

IMG_0380.jpeg

3) Security: since these don't lock unfortunately, I decided to at least swap out the bolt inside with a torx security screw bolt, it makes it at least a slightly greater deterrent to get these off, most thieves are unlikely to carry this special torx head around... anyone looking to do the same you'll need M6 screws with about 25 to 30mm in length, I used this kit off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CCMVJQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4) No more whistling! The whistle is pretty bad on these once you hit 65 mph. In another thread some had mentioned putting tape along the bottom center, some on the sides... people were having mixed success. The key is to put tape on BOTH the bottom middle AND the side parts, shown in areas 1, 2, and 3 in this image below I marked up ... I tried it with just the middle and just the sides and it still whistles, you need to do all parts numbered here to stop the whistle completely

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 5.38.38 PM.png

Once I figured out what worked, I wanted to come up with a solution that looked nice. Ended up cutting some black matte vinyl decals and stuck them on the bottom. They're basically invisible and this has stopped the whistling noise completely. You can't tell these are on here at all they blend in with the rack. The key is to cover all the groves and exposed areas on the bottom

IMG_0436.jpeg

IMG_0440.jpeg

IMG_0437.jpeg

IMG_0438.jpeg

IMG_0439.jpeg

IMG_0441.jpeg

IMG_0442.jpeg
Hey buddy. Ok I had ordered those for my JL back about 4 months ago. When I ordered the roof rack system they were showing pics of the roof rack set up over the removable panels on the hardtop. I also called and asked them if it was ok to set it up over the removable panels? THEY SAID YES. Ok cool I trust them so I ordered. When I received the roof rack. I opened the package and all was good. Ok instruction time. It clearly says under step #3 that you should NOT (never) mount or install these over the removable panels. So some people(Jeep owners) I see on the road and have one of the bars installed over the front panel and it’s just flat out dangerous.! Freakin companies don’t care and will always take sales over safety(idiots). Remember our roof top is fiberglass it can only handle so much. I called company and they apologized to me and I was able to return them as I decided not to take a chance on highway with these on. YOU MUST FOLLOW GUIDE LINES ON HOW MUCH YOU CAN ACTUALLY STORE ON THIS ROOF RACK and try and NOT attach this system to any part of those front panels. Use the back doors and end of hard top but never on those 2 removable panels. ALSO CHECK GUIDE LINES FOR YOUR TOP SPEED. Remember if you have to much on top and go over the required speed you will have an issue or damage that hard top. They have better systems which go through the roof top and attach to your roll bars. That’s the correct way so weight won’t be on your hard top but your roll bars which can easily handle it. They also have systems that are bars that go all around and connect to your main frame which also are solid. Most chances nothing will happen to you but just wanted you to know cause I didn’t know upon purchase until I read instructions. I hope this helps somewhat buddy. Love your Jeep great color. Stay safe :) the pic is best one I have of my low profile rhino rack platform system which I have installed on to my Jeep with the Maxiumus brackets which go through har top and attach to my roll bar

327ED698-CFB5-434B-B0A5-AB8563F32628.jpeg

5CC86C6E-CEC7-4B91-8BBE-932C3BB9305A.jpeg

266A9772-9AE2-4453-B8F3-5C06ECDE2FD5.jpeg

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Hey buddy. Ok I had ordered those for my JL back about 4 months ago. When I ordered the roof rack system they were showing pics of the roof rack set up over the removable panels on the hardtop. I also called and asked them if it was ok to set it up over the removable panels? THEY SAID YES. Ok cool I trust them so I ordered. When I received the roof rack. I opened the package and all was good. Ok instruction time. It clearly says under step #3 that you should NOT (never) mount or install these over the removable panels. So some people(Jeep owners) I see on the road and have one of the bars installed over the front panel and it’s just flat out dangerous.! Freakin companies don’t care and will always take sales over safety(idiots). Remember our roof top is fiberglass it can only handle so much. I called company and they apologized to me and I was able to return them as I decided not to take a chance on highway with these on. YOU MUST FOLLOW GUIDE LINES ON HOW MUCH YOU CAN ACTUALLY STORE ON THIS ROOF RACK and try and NOT attach this system to any part of those front panels. Use the back doors and end of hard top but never on those 2 removable panels. ALSO CHECK GUIDE LINES FOR YOUR TOP SPEED. Remember if you have to much on top and go over the required speed you will have an issue or damage that hard top. They have better systems which go through the roof top and attach to your roll bars. That’s the correct way so weight won’t be on your hard top but your roll bars which can easily handle it. They also have systems that are bars that go all around and connect to your main frame which also are solid. Most chances nothing will happen to you but just wanted you to know cause I didn’t know upon purchase until I read instructions. I hope this helps somewhat buddy. Love your Jeep great color. Stay safe :) the pic is best one I have of my low profile rhino rack platform system which I have installed on to my Jeep with the Maxiumus brackets which go through har top and attach to my roll bar

327ED698-CFB5-434B-B0A5-AB8563F32628.jpeg

5CC86C6E-CEC7-4B91-8BBE-932C3BB9305A.jpeg

266A9772-9AE2-4453-B8F3-5C06ECDE2FD5.jpeg
Yes mine are installed to spec per the instructions on the back of the hardtop. The picture in my post with the red lines is from extreme terrains website. They have them installed completely backwards and on the front panels.

Although on the JK there were no rain gutters on the back of the hard top. I had my ski rack on my JK on the front no problem without issue (although the JK freedom panels were secured differently with two parts that screwed through the speaker bar so it was maybe more secure). You might be seeing people on the road with JKs with racks on the front.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
The vinyl cutter is called a Cricut. Pretty inexpensive and hooks up to your computer. I use illustrator to do all my graphics and templates.
Thanks. I've had my eye on one of those for a while and have wondered how they do compared to the more commercial ones a friend has. Looks like it does a decent job!
Sponsored