The Old Man (60) DIY build, Silver Bullet

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
By the way, first Jeep ever owned and first build ever done. Being 60 though I have turned a lot of wrenches and fixed a lot of equipment, regardless bought the lifetime warranty today, you never know.

Well finally I have all the components together. I didn't drive it much until I settled on Hydrosilex as a protectant, washed with Dawn, clay bar, wash again, prepped with Rewind, and then two coats of Recharge.

Now on to installing all these boxes of stuff.

That's about it for the interior.

Now here is my install list

Weather Tech Techshade windshield visor TS1108 (installed)
LOD Destroyer rock rail/steps black (installed)
Quadratec Q Series Stealth 10 winch, with Factor 55 winch lock (installed)
Maximus 3 winch plate kit with hook (red) (installed)
Maximus 3 red tow hooks for Jeep steel bumper (installed)
Maximus 3 low mount license plate holder (installed)
Autmatch 2 pack 3/4" D Shackles black/red (installed)
Ultimate tow strap 3" x 20 (installed)
Mopar cargo mat kit (installed, seat back cutting was a bitch)(installed)
Mopar 2" lift kit
Mopar bumper bar (installed)
Mopar 7" LED off road lights and clamp kit for bar above (installed)
Mopar 5" LED off road lights (installed)
Mopar A Pillar brackets for 5" lights above (installed)
LIghttronic M10 lock nuts for 7" lights (installed)
LIghttronic M6 lock nuts for 5" lights and 7" clamps (installed)
Mopar dash U connect system screen protector (installed)
Mopar stainless steel kickplate threshold sill kit (for sale)
Quadratec sill protectors black plastic (replacement for above) (installed)
Fuel Vector D601 17x9 rims (installed)
Nitto Ridge Grapplers, 35x12.5x17 (installed)
Circuit Performance black splined acorn rim lug nuts (installed)
Formfit Hood protector black textured (installed)
KC Hilites backup light LED kit (installed)
J Tops Titanium mesh top
Topsy products hardtop hook kit for hoisting (installed)

I will post model numbers when I post the install pictures.

42126811_2138243822866558_5104323985663852544_n.jpg

42178372_2138243359533271_4054581356582141952_n.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed LOD Destroyer black model LOD JRS-1814.

These are heavy for an old man trying to hold them up (used jack) and position. They are packed like shit, it was a half ass attempt by LOD to send them safely, as I did have powdercoat chipped in 3 places to bare metal. I mean they have a foamer, just encapsulate them in foam dipshits. Otherwise they would be hard to break unless FedEx put them on the street and ran them over. Heavy duty is justified.

For the most part they bolt up fine, except on the drivers side back "hole" was cut a little off and I had to hammer it just a tad to get it on. You do have to drill one hole on drivers side in rear to make it "off road" by adding a self threading bolt. It drilled easier than I thought. On the front drivers long bolt drill out was easy.

Passengers side was not as stated, same drilling for rear bolt, but on the long bolt for off road strength on the front, there is NO hole at all. You have to drill the frame thru and thru, and do some damn good guesswork on where that bolt goes. I am not too bad for an old sumbitch, so I got lucky and drilled it almost spot on.

I feel sorry for the SOB that opens their car door into these in a parking lot as their door will be toast.

All parts worked, but on the passenger side the curve of the frame required one extra washer to shim out the gap, so I had one.

If you don't have a floor jack to lift this up, forget it, you will never install it.
DSC03397.JPG
DSC03401.JPG
DSC03405 (2).JPG

OP
OP

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Next installed KC Hilites

J114262 - KC HiLiTES C-Series C2 Backup Flood Lights - Pair (87-18 Jeep Wrangler YJ, TJ, JK & JL) from Extreme Terrain.

This is a complete kit, wires, switches, fuse. I was going to tie this into the reverse light system at the back of the Jeep, but as not to compromise waterproof integrity I did not. I ran the included wires thru the passenger rear wheel liner onto the frame all the way up into the engine compartment by the battery. I have the tow package which I am so thankful for with the auxiliary switches. If you order one thing, order that. Also seems some are unaware but the 4 switched outlets have their wires under the hood by the relay box which made for MEGA EASY wiring. I hooked up to Aux 2.

Look at my pics, I should charge for this but they look as if they were custom made for my JL, fit like a glove, bracket even has a lift which levels the light right at the bottom of my steel bumper.

The added light is perfect, you could use this in parking lots as it's not blinding, but it adds light to where the backup camera can show a perfect picture in the rear.

I love these.
DSC03415 - Copy.JPG
DSC03416 - Copy.JPG
DSC03417 - Copy.JPG
DSC03418 - Copy.JPG
DSC03421 - Copy.JPG
DSC03424 - Copy.JPG
DSC03440 - Copy.JPG

OP
OP

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Next moved on to A Pillar lights. Installed the Mopar A pillar brackets 82215427, then the Mopar 82215385AB 5" LED pillar lights. I added Lightronic M10 stainless locking nuts on the lamps to the bracket, sure they can take the mount and light, but there is no security for the pillar bracket bolts. I guess I could go under the hood and JB weld the bolts, but what if I need to remove. I will just shoot first and let them see the real light.

Install is super easy. Running wires is super easy, but again I have the aux light switches and ran these wires only under the hood to hookup. I did solder the wires and heatshrink unions. Those Mopar wire clips are crap. I do bitch about some of the quality in these units, but I can tell you one thing they do good on, it's grounding points. Jeep has ground points all over near the fusebox and relay box. Their wiring ease is top notch.

If anyone wonders these are bright and a flood, very wide flood. I angled them a little too the side as I like to see what's around me not in front, plenty of other lights for that.
DSC03450.JPG
DSC03451.JPG
DSC03453.JPG
DSC03454.JPG

View attachment 115671

DSC03430.JPG

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moved on next and installed the bumper bar Mopar 82215351, and the 7" LED off road Mopar lights 82215386AB, with bar clamps by Mopar 82215729 and for security Lightronics M6 security nuts for Mopar clamps, and Lightronics M10 for Mopar LED lamps main bolt. I am ordering more M10's for the main LED lamp mounting bolt post.. The harder I make it, the more they may leave them unless again I show them the quick route to seeing the light.

I removed the steel bumper cover plate where the winch is going to go, but no way was I leaving those empty holes in the steel bumper so I picked up some 8mm metric locknuts and rescrewed the factory bolts into those empty holes. Looks finished.

Wiring was super easy all going over to passenger side, snaked up by the grill/radiator, into the engine compartment over to the relay box area and connecting to my aux switch #3.

I like these not just because Mopar, but because they along with the 5" pillar lights put out more than enough for me.

I did use the rubber bar clamp liners because I did not want the light clamps to dig into the metal. Doing this meant the included Mopar bolts would not work. No problem, Lowes specialty boxes have the same black screws in 30 mm long which worked perfect, they seem short when you are tightening, but when you finally get it snugged up, they are perfect. I used Lightronics M6 security nuts on the bolts so nobody could take the clamps off.
DSC03430.JPG
DSC03431_LI.jpg
DSC03432.JPG
DSC03435.JPG
DSC03437.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Next I put the Formfit hood protector on. Not the easiest to install, but they guarantee no paint damage. What I did not like was removing the Hydrosilex to install the glue pads. I only cleaned the exact mounting spot.

The black textured unit looks good, fits very well, and I being slightly blingy for an old man got the stainless steel bolt model, while it looks ok, there is not a lot of stainless on the JL. I think maybe black bolts would look better.

Not sure how much wind uplift this will give to throw bugs and rocks away, but oh well. Only one thing I am not keen on, I really like looking down the sleek JL hood when driving, now I have this black crack to look at and this protector. If it goes off, this will be the main reason, not the possible gawdy bling bling look.

Install tip, use a Sharpie like the instructions "show" on the paint, as when you alcohol rub the spot to glue down the install pads, the alcohol takes the Sharpie off the clear coat. It is a well thought out piece, they have 5 bumper pads so the tail of the protector cannot hit the hood, and they have a foam bulb strip up in the front so it cannot be pushed down on the leading edge of the hood.

Formfit model TG 7W18v

DSC03441.JPG
DSC03442.JPG
DSC03443.JPG
DSC03444.JPG
DSC03446.JPG
DSC03447.JPG
DSC03448.JPG
DSC03449.JPG

Last edited:

Poffnstuff

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Wrangler JLU, 18' Ram2500 CC 4x4, 18' FLHXI
Looking good

OP
OP

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well got the rims and tires on. I love the wheels, the one thing I am not loving is how the tires are outside the fenders, and how the spare needs a new bumper. I also was going to go 315/70/17 instead of the 35/12/5/17 and I should have. My spare is touching the bumper barely, and I mean barely, but enough to rub it raw. I will put some 3M film there. Fuel D601 wheels, standard recommended stuff 5x5 bolt, -6mm backset, 17x9. Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.5/17 (love the tires), black splined lug nuts, and I used the centering rings, needed or not. Hey another thing, I am a strong ol' fart, but man the weight of these things is bullcrap. Honestly I wish I left the factory rims on, and just put 315's on them.
DSC03524.JPG
DSC03526.JPG
DSC03530.JPG
DSC03536.JPG
DSC03538.JPG
DSC03540.JPG

ROMEO JL

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL UNLIMITED
Dannko, For an old fart you did a good job!
It looks really good! Now go soak in some Epsom Salts and you will be perfect.

Sponsored

OP
OP

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Three biggie's left, winch/plate, tow loops, and lift kit. Dreading the lift kit, but only because of potential alignment needs which I will do myself. Window tint last.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Dang man you nailed it on the rim choice. Those are badass. Color match is awesome too.

OP
OP

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ok the old man fell asleep, but kicked his ass in gear and went for the winch, tow loops, and top lift hooks. I had some issues, like the Max3 winch plate did not fit, they know it, they offered compensation, so they are good guys, but I had to grind it to fit. They are coming out with a Gen2 to compensate for Jeeps inconsistent builds, but I couldn't wait. The Quadratec winch is a pretty one which is the main reason I went with it. The LED light on the rope is pretty cool, the wireless works, but one issue was the mating of the winch and plate, it all fit, but I would have preferred the winch be farther forward so I could get my hand behind it to clean the grill, and it be higher because now the rope will drag on the Jeep steel bumper cutout and be destroyed. MY fix is to put an internal hawse behind the bumper so the rope will glide from hawse to hawse. This could have been eliminated if the shelf of the plate had no lip (or the lip be downward) and about an inch higher. It is what it is with all these different manufacturers. The tow loops went on fine, but the nuts were a bitch to tighten as were the 8 bumper nuts, as now you have no room for wrenches or anything. I did most with a 3/8 drive since that is all that would fit with a flex joint. The Max3 license bracket is pretty damn sweet, but it may be in the way of my NSA tow bar brake cable, yet to see. The Topsy hooks are a quick easy install, but I have build my winch ceiling bracket to hoist the top yet. Also did my Quadratec sill protectors and what I most proud of is my repurposing of the Rubi bumper trim piece for the winch, if any of you are sharp enough to notice that. What impressed me most about Mopar and the Jeep product are all the grounding points and ease of wiring, like the battery terminal spare posts which make wiring a breeze whereas usually it's a bitch and half to wire vehicles.
P1050592.JPG
P1050595 (1).JPG
P1050597.JPG
P1050598.JPG
P1050601 (1).JPG
P1050602.JPG
P1050603 (1).JPG
P1050606.JPG
P1050608 (1).JPG
P1050613.JPG
P1050616.JPG
P1050623.JPG
P1050642.JPG
P1050654.JPG
P1050655.JPG
P1050659.JPG
P1050662.JPG
P1050664.JPG
P1050666.JPG
P1050669.JPG
P1050673.JPG
P1050681.JPG
P1050683.JPG

jforse

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 XLT Sport, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aerospace Quality Engineer
Nice build!

bikepsych

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Great job chronicling this build. I did similar steps but went the budget route with Barricade bumper and winch, American Outlaw Wheels, Pathfinder tires, H13 replacement LEDs, on a JLU Sport. Keep the pictures coming particularly interested in seeing your thoughts on the Mopar 2" lift.
B
Sponsored