Sponsored

2-door Ride difference: JL Sport vs Rubicon?

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Test drove two 2018 Wrangler JL 2 doors back-to-back today: a Sport S and a Rubicon.
Both equipped very similarly: 2.0T, auto, Hard Top. (Rubicon did NOT have the steel bumper option)

In town -- not much difference. But noticed that on the highway, the Rubicon rode a little choppier (took the exact same route to give an accurate comparison). Is this because of the larger heavier tires? Stiffer suspension? Both?

Planning to do a good bit of highway travel, so was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about ride? (I know the 4dr would be smoother, but its not in the running at this time)
Sponsored

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
Test drove two 2018 Wrangler JL 2 doors back-to-back today: a Sport S and a Rubicon.
Both equipped very similarly: 2.0T, auto, Hard Top. (Rubicon did NOT have the steel bumper option)

In town -- not much difference. But noticed that on the highway, the Rubicon rode a little choppier (took the exact same route to give an accurate comparison). Is this because of the larger heavier tires? Stiffer suspension? Both?

Planning to do a good bit of highway travel, so was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about ride? (I know the 4dr would be smoother, but its not in the running at this time)
Most of my commute is all hwy. Almost 70 miles round trip. Most likely if it was a test drive from a dealership the tires are way over inflated. My tire pressure from delivery was 40psi. They were like rocks. Once I aired them down to about 35psi it was way better.

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Most of my commute is all hwy. Almost 70 miles round trip. Most likely if it was a test drive from a dealership the tires are way over inflated. My tire pressure from delivery was 40psi. They were like rocks. Once I aired them down to about 35psi it was way better.
THIS. When I got home from the dealer purchase I let it sit overnight and checked the pressure. Each tire was not only over inflated but varied by about 4lbs. Once adjusted to factory specs it rides like a dream (for a Jeep). We're not talking Mercedes here. ha ha!

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Challenger picked up at dealer over 40-46 psi (door jam specs 32 psi)
Accord test drive tires over inflated
JL sport test drive tires over inflated

Dealers don't get it. They don't check the tire psi and don't consider that those that don't notice or think to check may decide they don't want to buy a car based on their first impression of a harsh ride. So much for the pre delivery prep/inspection.

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
I was told (literally) that they over inflate them because most people don't check their pressure ever. To them it was safer to over inflate than leave at factory specs knowing the pressure may or will drop with temperature changes and time.

Lame excuse to me. I have never bought a new car that was set properly. Ever. And even some tire and/or alignment shops will do this (not Discount Tires in my experience though as they rock).

I guess they don't realize it makes a HUGE difference in drivability. My jeep was set around 40+ all 4 being different. It was a strange ride home and I knew why. After setting properly it's a completely different ride.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kent5

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
I feel so foolish! I've read so many posts like the above, and yet, when I did my drives today, the thought of overinflation never crossed my mind. :blush: Remembering my two drives, it was similar to the symptoms of tire over-inflation. ugh!

Thanks for the advice. I may have to go back for a 2nd drive, with my trusty air gauge in hand! (and more of my brain engaged!)

So long, on-road trips are perfectly acceptable in the 'ride' department? My wife is a little sensitive to such things, so I'm concerned about it.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
A couple psi too much in my Challenger and I could feel if I ran over a nickel in the road.
With my JL and 305/65's at 28-30 psi the side wall flex made it wander slightly. 33-34 is just right and the wander is gone.
recommended 36 psi for stock tires is too much for the larger tires. Bigger foot print of wider tires needs less psi than stock.
Sponsored