Sponsored

Found terrible welds on my frame horns

Highonlyfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2011 JKU
Update:
The Office of Defects Investigation for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration contacted me this morning after i filed a complaint with them. They seem genuinely concerned about the pictures i sent them and have been following up and asking more questions and asking for more pictures.

My vin was unaffected by the track bar weld recall, and my weld issues seem to be a whole separate issue concerning the weld problems with the frame.

The missing and uneven and off center support bracket seem to be the biggest concern. Especially since the welds will not and cannot be noticed and inspected unless the front bumper and splash guard are removed.

An escalated case with Jeep was filed and someone from Jeep is suppose to be contacting me in 1-2 business days as well.

I will update when i find out more with whats going on:puke:

Took my front bumper off this am to install a new arb bumper i picked up on black friday.

While looking things over i was immediately drawn to the welds on the frame horns.

Blown out welds that went right through the frame.

Welds that were on one side were missing from the exact same piece on the other side.

Incomplete welds.

The whole nine.

You cant see the welds unless you remove the front bumper completely.

Anyone else look at the front of your frame when you replaced your front bumper?

Needless to say, it really makes you think what else is messed up that got covered up where you cant see it.

Keep in mind, this is where the crush cans go so your airbags deploy.

Is this something that would concern you?
View attachment 115292

N1LC0IR.jpg

pgW7kkS.jpg

The picture below shows no welds, where the other side had welds. Missing completely.

Right side,,missing welds. The two metal pieces dont even line up and one side is higher than the other.
WRNcxoD.jpg

Left side, has welds. And everything lines up and is flush, unlike the other side.
b0GdcTA.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Highonlyfe

Highonlyfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Last edited:

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
Take it to dealer....have them inspect and open case with FCA. Wait for results. Also search the forum for others with issues and see what their results were.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Highonlyfe

Highonlyfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took it to stealership. Made appointment for next friday.

They said they will take pics and forward them to corporate and see if they will cover it under warranty.

Is this a known issue? I searched and all that came up was the track bar welds we all know about.

I have yet to see this issue with the front of the frame brought up unless i missed it.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Took it to stealership. Made appointment for next friday.

They said they will take pics and forward them to corporate and see if they will cover it under warranty.

Is this a known issue? I searched and all that came up was the track bar welds we all know about.

I have yet to see this issue with the front of the frame brought up unless i missed it.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-welding-issues.5446/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/frame-weld-issues.16705/

OP
OP
Highonlyfe

Highonlyfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

JohnP

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 Yukon Denali, 2006 F350, 2006 AMG CLK55
Occupation
Troublemaker
b0GdcTA.jpg
I am a trained welder, and weld on a routine basis. I am not an authority on the matter, and would be happy for someone with some sort of PHD in ME to chime in with a really cool technical assessment. Having said that... YES these welds would concern me. But the longer answer is more complicated.

First, the photos look like manual welds created by someone with an “introductory” skill level. These appear to be MIG welds, and frankly the ones on opposing sides seem to have been done by different people. I’m amazed that a truck rolled off what I believed was a robotic assembly line like this, but clearly there are / were some humans welding on this vehicle. And these welds are a travesty.

As embarrassing as the welds are, the bigger question is with regard to the actual safety of the welds. And as bad as they look, they MAY still be reasonably safe.

Here is an overly simplified calculator for estimating weld strength:
https://app.aws.org/mwf/attachments//8/105308/weldstrengthcalculatorpub.xls

A very average spool of welding wire offers >70,000 PSI of strength. For example see:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XKHCDW
The claimed 540 MPa = ~74,000 PSI.

A basic sheet of A36 structural steel will have ultimate tensile strenght exceeding 50,000 PSI:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A36_steel
I don’t know what cars are built from, but this is probably in the ballpark.

According to the calculator, on ¼” A36 steel, with 70k PSI wire, a 1” length X .2” high weld yields an allowable shear stress around 3,000 lbs. And tensile / compression strength of nearly 7,000lbs. Given that there are multiple inches of weld material you can multiply these numbers to get the total strength of the welds.

I can’t identify from the photos what those welds are supporting, but if they are just to hold the bumper on my best guess is that nothing is going to fall off any time soon. So I’m not sure it’s an actual safety issue. If you have several inches of weld that are good, it’s most likely strong enough for the intended purpose, even if it looks like crap.

Again, it’s still concerning because if nothing else it makes Jeep look very bad! But I don’t think I’d be worried that your Wrangler is about to fall apart or anything.

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
Took my front bumper off this am to install a new arb bumper i picked up on black friday.

While looking things over i was immediately drawn to the welds on the frame horns.

Blown out welds that went right through the frame.

Welds that were on one side were missing from the exact same piece on the other side.

Incomplete welds.

The whole nine.

You cant see the welds unless you remove the front bumper completely.

Anyone else look at the front of your frame when you replaced your front bumper?

Needless to say, it really makes you think what else is messed up that got covered up where you cant see it.

Keep in mind, this is where the crush cans go so your airbags deploy.

View attachment 115292

N1LC0IR.jpg

pgW7kkS.jpg

The picture below shows no welds, were the other side had welds. Missing completely.

Right side,,missing welds. The two metal pieces dont even line up and one side is higher than the other.
WRNcxoD.jpg

Left side, has welds. And everything lines up and is flush, unlike the other side.
b0GdcTA.jpg
I can't believe their poor quality control, even w/robotics now-a-days.

What's the date of manufacture of your JL?

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
That crap looks horrible. Thanks for the post. Hope they fix the weld issue before I buy my other JL.

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
What is the build date on your jeep?
Sponsored