Transmission...clutch slipping?

Z3r0jimmy

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara
Hey y’all new JL owner switching from my JK as a Christmas present for me after deployment. This is also my first manual in a few years (was driving a manual work car overseas). Not sure if this is isolated or not, but after 2k miles when I go to 4th gear and accelerate to about 3k RPM, I hear a humming sound not like it’s grinding and I feel a vibration in the shifter then RPMs drop to 2k. At first I thought my speed was low but it did the same thing when I accelerated high on 3rd gear and switched to 4th and went to 70-80mph and the RPM didn’t go far past 2600 crawling back to 3k. A lot of people at work have told me even if I was burning out my clutch it shouldn’t have happened after 2k miles. Any advice? Will warranty cover (I’m like 99% sure it is)? Thanks in advance
Sponsored

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Hey y’all new JL owner switching from my JK as a Christmas present for me after deployment. This is also my first manual in a few years (was driving a manual work car overseas). Not sure if this is isolated or not, but after 2k miles when I go to 4th gear and accelerate to about 3k RPM, I hear a humming sound not like it’s grinding and I feel a vibration in the shifter then RPMs drop to 2k. At first I thought my speed was low but it did the same thing when I accelerated high on 3rd gear and switched to 4th and went to 70-80mph and the RPM didn’t go far past 2600 crawling back to 3k. A lot of people at work have told me even if I was burning out my clutch it shouldn’t have happened after 2k miles. Any advice? Will warranty cover (I’m like 99% sure it is)? Thanks in advance
I live 5 miles from you, want me to check it out and bring my JLUR stick with me? PM me.

JP18

Hound Dog Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 door manual transmission
In my experience when a clutch is slipping the rpms increase while your speed doesn't.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Did you find out what was wrong? It doesn’t sound right.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
In my experience when a clutch is slipping the rpms increase while your speed doesn't.
That is correct. One way of testing your clutch if ever in doubt:
1- make sure there is nothing in front of the car.
2-Start the car normally.
3-apply the parking brake
4-press the clutch and shift to the highest gear (i.e. 6)
5-while still depressing the clutch, press the brake.
6-slowly let the clutch out, (and if you can rise the rpm with heel, without letting the brake go)
7- if the engine dies, clutch is good, if engine doesn’t die, clutch is worn out.
Just sharing a bit knowledge. If you are dumb, don’t try it. Lol

Sponsored

OP
OP

Z3r0jimmy

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara
I just got Stormtrooper back tonight. There was a manufacturer defect on the slave cylinder which caused the flywheel, throw bearing and clutch to go out all in respective order. They described it as torque loss...the clutch feels WAY different now and much much smoother shifting...not sure if it’s normal or not but I press the clutch down and halfway through once the clutch disengages the whole thing drops and I have to slowly release cause it springs back up with force. I like it honestly and I used to have to press the clutch all the way to shift...now it’s a little past halfway and I can shift up and push a little more to downshift.

Never paid a dime either all warranty.

SalM

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport, 2018 Cherokee Limited
I just got Stormtrooper back tonight. There was a manufacturer defect on the slave cylinder which caused the flywheel, throw bearing and clutch to go out all in respective order. They described it as torque loss...the clutch feels WAY different now and much much smoother shifting...not sure if it’s normal or not but I press the clutch down and halfway through once the clutch disengages the whole thing drops and I have to slowly release cause it springs back up with force. I like it honestly and I used to have to press the clutch all the way to shift...now it’s a little past halfway and I can shift up and push a little more to downshift.

Never paid a dime either all warranty.

Interesting.
I have been having some clutch/ transmission oddities from the start.
I have 3000. Miles on my V6/6 speed.
I always thought the shifting was much harder then it needed to be. Have had a few grinds going through gears. Not very responsive when disengaging the clutch. My latest problem was on the beach, in 4wd, the clutch started squealing like crazy and I smell the clutch burning,
I had a couple other instances of .clutch burning but assumed my error.
I was in the car business for 30 years and have driven countess manuals.
I started driving a stick in 1981, a 1963 Chevy van.
I was a general manager For a Chrysler store for 20 years. I go back with jeeps to the AMC days.
I have an appointment 7/15. With the dealer. Hoping the early manuals have an engineering flaw and there is a fix.
Sponsored