Sponsored

Is anyone put off by the angle of the JL windshield?

cbasil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
As the title says. Does anyone think the windshield on the JL has too much of an angle to it, as in too swept back?

I made sure to snatch up a brand new, 2 door JK over a year ago as my "forever Jeep" with the intention of getting a 4 door JL (as a daily driver, throw-away vehicle if you will) around 2019. From an engineering standpoint, I think Jeep did excellent on the JL, but after seeing it in person, I just think the windshield kills it. I can't get past it, it just looks like a minivan windshield to me :puke:

Now on a less dramatic scale than me, does anyone else notice this and/or agree, or am I just totally crazy lol.
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
does else notice this and/or agree, or am I just totally crazy lol.
Spoiler: some people here are going to agree with you, but some won’t :cwl:

For the record, I love how it looks. Definitely don’t see a minivan, especially with the Rubi.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
As the title says. Does anyone think the windshield on the JL has too much of an angle to it, as in too swept back?

I made sure to snatch up a brand new, 2 door JK over a year ago as my "forever Jeep" with the intention of getting a 4 door JL (as a daily driver, throw-away vehicle if you will) around 2019. From an engineering standpoint, I think Jeep did excellent on the JL, but after seeing it in person, I just think the windshield kills it. I can't get past it, it just looks like a minivan windshield to me :puke:

Now on a less dramatic scale than me, does anyone else notice this and/or agree, or am I just totally crazy lol.
While I saw a few photos where the increased windshield rake appeared a bit too much for my liking, in most of the photos I think it looks ok. But proof will be when I see the JL in person and test drive. Some of the other styling changes I think make the JL look a bit more rugged compared to the JK. The more upright grill and accent line that runs along the belt line, at least in photos I like those changes. But again things can look different in person. If we ever get some JLs at Chicagoland dealerships near me - I will go have a look. Last I checked they all showed "in transit" around my area.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I aware of the change, but barely notice it, overall I’m extremely happy with the redesign so I guess that is a long way of saying it doesn’t bother me, perhaps because the windshield is now flat instead of curved, which I think looks more authentic.

Sponsored

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
It doesn't bother me as much as the slanted grill bothers me on the JK – that was a bone-headed design they could have fixed at any point in the decade-long run of the JK.. But it will bother me if the more-slanted JL windshield allows the sun hit front seat passengers way it does in other vehicles. The lack of glare from the sun was one reason I have always enjoyed the JK.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
It doesn't bother me as much as the slanted grill bothers me on the JK – that was a bone-headed design they could have fixed at any point in the decade-long run of the JK.. But it will bother me if the more-slanted JL windshield allows the sun hit front seat passengers way it does in other vehicles. The lack of glare from the sun was one reason I have always enjoyed the JK.
I too hated the JK slanted grill, looked really half assed to me in an otherwise great design.

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
Until someone pointed it out, I never noticed.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
When the across the street neighbor, months ago, painted their house a different color I said, "boy that looks weird."

Today, I can barely remember the old color.

I think that a similar thing is going to happen to me on the windshield rake. Yes, I do notice it, yes, it takes some processing, but I suspect I will come to be ok if not eventually good with it. It does save gas: a good thing.

OP
OP

cbasil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
When the across the street neighbor, months ago, painted their house a different color I said, "boy that looks weird."

Today, I can barely remember the old color.

I think that a similar thing is going to happen to me on the windshield rake. Yes, I do notice it, yes, it takes some processing, but I suspect I will come to be ok if not eventually good with it. It does save gas: a good thing.
I'm assuming I too just need time to adjust to it. The rest of the JL was done so well. I remember seeing the JK for the first time and thinking "Is that a giant PlaySkool toy?" but I eventually accepted it.

Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
If it cuts down on the windshield cracking and rock damage I love it. I have Safelite on speed dial.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I'm assuming I too just need time to adjust to it. The rest of the JL was done so well. I remember seeing the JK for the first time and thinking "Is that a giant PlaySkool toy?" but I eventually accepted it.
Funny, I’ve owned Yjs, TJs, an LJ and eventually 2 JK’s, loved every one of them, but when they launched the JK I thought the same thing... took me awhile. I do think the JL looks awesome out of the box though.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
no not bothered

maxmk8

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Pooper
OMG I HATE IT SO MUCH. THIS IS NOTHING LIKE MY CJ, BRING BACK REAL JEEPs. NEW ONE IS A FRAUD I WILL NEVER BUY IT

OP
OP

cbasil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
OMG I HATE IT SO MUCH. THIS IS NOTHING LIKE MY CJ, BRING BACK REAL JEEPs. NEW ONE IS A FRAUD I WILL NEVER BUY IT
:cwl::cwl:Woah, woah, woah! You better watch out, someone might take that comment seriously. Before you know it this thread will have more talk about Compasses and FCA than talk of the actual topic lol.
Sponsored