Sponsored

Any reports of issues with steering in the 2019s?

jpqst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Any reports of issues with steering in the 2019s? Can any of you lucky new owners chime in?

The steering was so loose on the first 2018 I test drove it was a top motivator to wait for the 19s.
Sponsored

RubiZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Just wondering as well if they've done anything about the track bar and the play in the steering wheel? Any 2019 owners please chime in.

JohnnyB54

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
I picked up my 2019 JLUS yesterday. I only test drove a 2018 and I didnā€™t have any steering issues during the test drive. That being said I have only driven around 80 miles since I picked up my 19. About 50 miles of the 80 were highway driving the rest everyday street driving. I found the steering so far to be tight, responsive with no wondering. So responsive in fact I took a few turns a little tight until I got used to it. So far Iā€™m very happy with it. If any issues pop up within the next few days Iā€™ll post them. The one stand out issue I did have when I picked up the Wrangler was fuses and relays in the fuse box not fully seated in the fuse box.

Hosedragger

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I have a 2019 Rubicon previously I had a JK I have about 400 miles on her. I Seem to have the drifting issues at first so I checked my tires the pressure Was at 47 psi so I lowered it to 34 and that has seem to help out its tightened up the steering
Manufactured date is 11/18 If anything else changes I will repost

Last edited:

Sponsored

RubiZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have a 2019 Rubicon previously I had a JK I have about 400 miles on her. I Seem to have the drifting issues at first so I checked my tires the pressure Was at 47 psi so I lowered it to 34 and that has seem to help out its tightened up the steering
Manufactured date is 11/18 If anything else changes I will repost[/QUOTE
I picked up my 2019 JLUS yesterday. I only test drove a 2018 and I didnā€™t have any steering issues during the test drive. That being said I have only driven around 80 miles since I picked up my 19. About 50 miles of the 80 were highway driving the rest everyday street driving. I found the steering so far to be tight, responsive with no wondering. So responsive in fact I took a few turns a little tight until I got used to it. So far Iā€™m very happy with it. If any issues pop up within the next few days Iā€™ll post them. The one stand out issue I did have when I picked up the Wrangler was fuses and relays in the fuse box not fully seated in the fuse box.
Fuses were not seated properly? Wow...would not expect that. Did you check them all and pushed them in to secure all?

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I went most part numbers related to the steering components and compared 2018 vs 2019, such as the track bar, upper and lower control arms, stabilizer bar, link rod, power steering pump, pitman arm, stabilizer bar bushing, left knuckle, right knuckle, ball joints, stabilizer link, etc. This is what I found:

All steering related part numbers that I checked (I didn't check any steering related circuit boards or wiring) are the same comparing 2018 vs 2019, except:

1. Steering Box: The 2019 JL has the -AD version, and people who had their steering boxes replaced on their 2018 JL now have the -AD version. I don't know if/when any of the late production 2018s have the -AD version or not.

2. Steering Damper / Stabilizer: The 2019 JL has the -AD version, and people who had the bad date codes replaced now have the -AD versions. I don't know if/when any of the late production 2018s have the -AD version or not.

3. All of the above steering related parts are also showing good for 2018 - 2020, except the following parts are n/a for 2020, which means there will probably be different part numbers for these 3 steering related components in 2020:
a. Left knuckle
b. Right knuckle
c. Ball Joints

DIRKS

First Name
David Beischer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I picked up my 2019 JLUR on Friday, it wandered the entire 55 mile ride home. Keeping it between the lines was exhausting. Iā€™ve had my wife drive it with out warning her and she reported ā€œthe steering is funnyā€.

I called for an appointment on Monday and the first they could get me in was tomorrow. Iā€™lol have about 130 miles on it by the time I get it to the dealer.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I picked up my 2019 JLUR on Friday, it wandered the entire 55 mile ride home. Keeping it between the lines was exhausting. Iā€™ve had my wife drive it with out warning her and she reported ā€œthe steering is funnyā€.

I called for an appointment on Monday and the first they could get me in was tomorrow. Iā€™lol have about 130 miles on it by the time I get it to the dealer.
Thanks for the update. What's your tire pressure?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

DCELL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Sahara, Ford F150
No problems. 200 miles, varying speeds & roads-up to 85MPH on a toll road & 20 on shi**y roads. Just 2WD. Very tight & responsive. Almost too responsive-no limp wristing the bottom of the steering wheel with one hand. Seriously though, tight.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Picked up my 2019 JLUR, last Friday. Thus, far it has logged some 560 miles. Took it up to the snow, last Sunday. Took it out on some mild trails this past week. Mixed miles have been 70/30 hwy/city. Thus far, the steering has been spot on with respect to tracking a line on the highways. Does quite well through high speed turns.

I will be taking my JLUR to San Diego and San Francisco. Will report back after my trip.
Sponsored