Sponsored

lifetime or 7/100 warranty-help me decide.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Read the fine print on the “lifetime warranty”. They will only cover until the price of the repairs exceeds the price of the vehicle. Once I read through the the details I was less enthusiastic about the “lifetime warranty.”
I don't know, that still covers a lot of repairs well past 100K miles. Makes sense why they wouldn't want to pay $2,000 to fix a vehicle that's only worth $1,500 because it has a ton of miles and is all beat up. Although I do see your point, that's not truly "lifetime" now is it...
Sponsored

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Read the fine print on the “lifetime warranty”. They will only cover until the price of the repairs exceeds the price of the vehicle. Once I read through the the details I was less enthusiastic about the “lifetime warranty.”

Lifetime Maximum Care
Vehicles with a minimum 3-year/36,000-mile Basic Warranty can be covered with a Lifetime Maximum Care Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan. FCA vehicles with the 5-year/60,000-mile, the 5-year/100,000-mile or the 4-year/50,000-mile Powertrain Warranty also qualify for coverage. This great warranty covers more than 5,000 components, including the engine, transmission, driveline, steering, air conditioning, engine cooling and fuel system, electrical and expanded electrical, front and rear suspension, anti-lock brakes, instrumentation, power group, luxury group, body mechanisms, manual interior mechanisms, Mopar accessories, plus safety and security systems. And, the Lifetime Maximum Care Vehicle Protection provides comprehensive coverage when the Standard Warranty expires. In addition, Lifetime Maximum Care provides First-Day Rental, Car rental Allowance, $100 Towing/Roadside Assistance and $1,000 Trip Interruption Protection on the day you buy the Lifetime option. These benefits expire at 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Lifetime Maximum Care ends on the date of sale or transfer or when an individual claim meets or exceeds the fair market value of the vehicle at the time of claim or when the total amount paid for all claims under the warranty exceeds the purchase price of the vehicle. For more details on the possible the best extended warranty on the market, click Mopar Vehicle Protection Lifetime Maximum Care.
I think lifetime is still a pretty good deal considering that jeeps hold their value. So if you're in it for the long haul it's good. The KBB value on a 7 year old jeep is $24,000. There isn't a repair i could think of that would cost that much.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
I was just pointing out that it really is not a lifetime warranty. It also states that it expires if the total cost of repairs exceeds the original purchase price...which can be a lot of money but it still isn’t lifetime.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
First, Wrangler is probably the best value holder so it gonna take a while for the repair cost exceed the car value (especially Rubicon).

Second, unlike literally every other generation, JL is stacked with electronics, and Rubicon with lockers, disconnect, shocks, etc.

So I suggest jump on the lifetime if you own a loaded Rubicon.

Sponsored

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
YEs we have Geico and they mentioned the breakdown insurance. I will have to look into that further.
update: turns out we already have the breakdown insurance. My husband had them add it when we added the Jeep.
The only bad thing about Geico as car insurance is they Will Not cover off road driving. They are pretty explicit about it in their policy. My Farmers policy will cover this however.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
If your Rubi does not have all the driver aids, bigger uconnect,ect. I would pass. If it has all the electronics,go for it.
My Ford Fusion plug in car, crapped out. Just needed a new battery ( hybrid )......well $17,000. later it was running again.
I guess what I'm saying is the more tech on the Jeep get a warranty. Most shops can do mechanical things, but most struggle with newer tech. They put many more hours and parts in trying to fix something they do not know and you wind up paying more for repairs. If I had the 2.0 model, for sure warranty... Unless you only hold it for 3-5 years.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was just pointing out that it really is not a lifetime warranty. It also states that it expires if the total cost of repairs exceeds the original purchase price...which can be a lot of money but it still isn’t lifetime.
If your Rubi does not have all the driver aids, bigger uconnect,ect. I would pass. If it has all the electronics,go for it.
My Ford Fusion plug in car, crapped out. Just needed a new battery ( hybrid )......well $17,000. later it was running again.
I guess what I'm saying is the more tech on the Jeep get a warranty. Most shops can do mechanical things, but most struggle with newer tech. They put many more hours and parts in trying to fix something they do not know and you wind up paying more for repairs. If I had the 2.0 model, for sure warranty... Unless you only hold it for 3-5 years.
I have the unconnect and the safety package so yeah I’ll probably just get it. I’ll keep the geico anyway as it’s only $30 a year. Good backup in case the Jeep warranty gives me a problem.
And from what I heard it covers the clutch which Jeep doesn’t. That alone is worth it.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
Very true for any vehicle if it's more of a nuisance it would be time to go.
Which would be a good reason to get the 7/100 as it is transferrable and it would make it easier to sell your Jeep

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which would be a good reason to get the 7/100 as it is transferrable and it would make it easier to sell your Jeep
The only kicker is that if I decide to keep it past 7 years my luck that 8th year something big will go.

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
The only kicker is that if I decide to keep it past 7 years my luck that 8th year something big will go.
Sounds like you have commitment issues :giggle:

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
I'm having the same debate in my mind. I seldom buy extended warranties on anything. However Jeep having ventured into the automotive world of electronics gives me a lot of concern for reliability. I seldom keep a car for more than 2 years but at 65 I figure it's time to get something I like and keep it. However I have 4 grandkids that I plan on giving cars to when they turn 16 and thought I might as well buy something and give it up in a couple of years. But when the Rubicon came out and it's now a $60,000 Jeep I don't think I will be passing it along....at least not to the first one. So my debate....If I like it and keep it the lifetime makes a whole lot of sense. I can put it in my and my wifes name and its under warranty as long as one of us is alive. I can even let the gkids drive it if I want. Or I can simply get the 8 year / 125,000 mile warranty and give it to the second gkid at which time it will probably be a $30,000 Jeep and still have a lot of warranty left for a small transfer fee. Then I get another one for #3, or #4 gkid.

Hummm, I think I just talked myself into the 8yr / 125,000 mile warranty

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you have commitment issues :giggle:
I'm having the same debate in my mind. I seldom buy extended warranties on anything. However Jeep having ventured into the automotive world of electronics gives me a lot of concern for reliability. I seldom keep a car for more than 2 years but at 65 I figure it's time to get something I like and keep it. However I have 4 grandkids that I plan on giving cars to when they turn 16 and thought I might as well buy something and give it up in a couple of years. But when the Rubicon came out and it's now a $60,000 Jeep I don't think I will be passing it along....at least not to the first one. So my debate....If I like it and keep it the lifetime makes a whole lot of sense. I can put it in my and my wifes name and its under warranty as long as one of us is alive. I can even let the gkids drive it if I want. Or I can simply get the 8 year / 125,000 mile warranty and give it to the second gkid at which time it will probably be a $30,000 Jeep and still have a lot of warranty left for a small transfer fee. Then I get another one for #3, or #4 gkid.

Hummm, I think I just talked myself into the 8yr / 125,000 mile warranty
Transfer option is a plus for sure

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
I took a gamble this time and didn't buy any extended warranty. All I can suggest to the OP is read the fine print and look for deductibles, limits, and exclusions. Those warranties work differently than the factory warranty. Who offers these extended warranties anyhow? It not Jeep directly but a 3rd party most likely. They work like insurance companies in a way.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
It may have sounded like I was selling against the lifetime warranty but when my 2019 comes in I will most likely get the lifetime warranty. I still own and drive my 1993 ZJ so I tend to keep things for a while a lifetime warranty would be a nice asset right now since three of my four power locks and one of my power windows is acting up. Would be nice to get it all fixed for a $100 deductible.
Sponsored