Sponsored

Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here!

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Im thinking of grabbing some fender welting to keep the gravel out of the fender crack.
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Im thinking of grabbing some fender welting to keep the gravel out of the fender crack.
John, is this the stuff that has the tubing of the above post, but connected to the outside of the tubing is a flat piece that juts out for and inch or two?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I've always enjoyed seeing, in pictures or real life, dogs absolutely loving their Jeep experience, sticking their noses out the window, or enjoy the smells of an open cabin like it was television for you and I. Many a picture of a rig on the beach, with dog and surfboard aboard help sell Jeep product in days past....

….but I also knew it wasn't safe if the animals were not merely strapped in, but in a way (i.e. body harness) that minimized the chances that the animal would be injured in a short stop or collision, I sought to protect the animal while giving it the maximum amount of freedom to enjoy the rig like you and I do, even sticking their noses slightly outside the cabin, but never be ejected from it.

Enter, the "Jeep Barkery":

IMG_2414.JPG

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-wrangler-bar-kery.11285/

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
John, is this the stuff that has the tubing of the above post, but connected to the outside of the tubing is a flat piece that juts out for and inch or two?
Basically yes. The flat part is what holds it in between the fender and body. You can notch out for the fasteners etc. Used with many older cars. Just not sure if it will work. Im waiting for my JL to be delivered any day now.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Bikini Tops

There's going to be plenty of things that you'll want for your Jeep that buying, over making, just makes more sense. For example, if you're in the market for an aftermarket bumper, you can either save the money and buy one, or spend your life savings on metal fabrication equipment, to make one yourself.

But the best way to save that money is to not spend it elsewhere, particularly on the accessories you can get away with making yourself that a DIY will far closer approach the purchased "real McCoy" on.

One of those accessories is a bikini top. You know something like this:
bikinitop.jpg

Here's how to do it:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ni-tops-available-anywhere.16623/#post-408085

Sponsored

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I posted this hack in another thread but it belongs here.. This hack was inspired by the almost weekly, "Dad, I dropped my phone in the gap between the seats - stop the Jeep." It also prevents other stuff from falling in there too - like the key fob or crumbs or money etc... Cut to length for both driver side and passenger side. Silent. And even matches the color of the seat/trim.

Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 8.39.20 AM.png

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Having things secured with a bungie cord overhead is an accident waiting to happen.
Nothing "secured" is an accident waiting to happen because, by definition, it's secured.

I'd prefer to say that having certain things secured overhead, irrespective of whether it's a $139 device that keeps them there or 2 harbor freight elastic nets at $4 a pop are safe or unsafe more as a product of their (or your) size and weight. Some front passenger's height (better, above torso height) may have anything above get in the way of their headroom, including the top itself.

That some hack or purchased product is not right for everyone or everything doesn't mean we have to throw out the baby with the bath water. Stick a windbreaker up there: expect no problems, all while "throwing knives" best be kept in a latched steel box stored and affixed to your cargo area.

Every hack or product has indications and contraindications.

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing "secured" is an accident waiting to happen because, by definition, it's secured.

I'd prefer to say that having certain things secured overhead, irrespective of whether it's a $139 device that keeps them there or 2 harbor freight elastic nets at $4 a pop are safe or unsafe more as a product of their (or your) size and weight. Some front passenger's height (better, above torso height) may have anything above get in the way of their headroom, including the top itself.

That some hack or purchased product is not right for everyone or everything doesn't mean we have to throw out the baby with the bath water. Stick a windbreaker up there: expect no problems, all while "throwing knives" best be kept in a latched steel box stored and affixed to your cargo area.

Every hack or product has indications and contraindications.
Until that windbreaker slips out and falls over your head while on the freeway.... Expecting no problems is exactly how most accidents happen...

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Until that windbreaker slips out and falls over your head while on the freeway.... Expecting no problems is exactly how most accidents happen...
Nathan, the laws of physics prevent netting secured on all 4 sides, hacked or purchased, that takes up 1/20 of the footprint of a stuffed up lightweight coat like a windbreaker from slipping out and falling. I really don't think your concern is reasonable, specific to the hack versus the purchased product, or that every hack is for everyone or every purpose. If you feel otherwise, don't use the hack.

If you don't torque down the adjustments screws in the hardware of the Jeep Barkery the dog could go flying...as it could if you don't secure the purchased harness correctly. If you don't connect the caribiner's of the first post correctly, someone could slip and fall. Maybe connecting the wires of the ESS/Aux battery post can cause an explosion. Maybe the improperly tied down Freedom panel causes problems to the freeway driver behind you. Common sense and responsibility play into all choices, some of which I'll concede are inherently unsafe and bad. But there isn't a mod that someone couldn't find risk with--not the least of which being the ultimate one--driving in the first place.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/consumer-probe-irwin-mainway/2721468

0iiiiiii0

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 YJ (sold), 04 Land Rover Disco II (dead), 18 JLU Sport S (granite)
Internal surf rack...bc I don't have a roof rack yet (still debating on what to get) and to be honest, its a PITA to put surfboards on the roof if you don't have to :)

PVC for the crossbars with some pipe insulation as padding (will eventually wrap them in canvas). I have them temporarily strung up from the roll bars with some parachord. I'm using the empty holes on the back rollbar to anchor the rear crossbar. I read somewhere it would fit an 8M 1.5 bolt, but that was too small. I need to go out and find the right fit.

All and all, not too bad. I can fit two boards pretty comfortably (biggest being about 7'2"), and the bars are easy to remove if I need to pack the kids in the jeep :) I should add that I'm not a tall guy, and the boards actually rest above my head with room to spare.

tshkbm2.jpg

ED1mV8U.jpg

View attachment 113855

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

HungryFerret

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)