Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Start with a little back story. About three years ago, I stumbled upon a Youtube video series from the JK Experience. Watched the Alaska one four or five times. This then caused me to stumble on to [Banned Site] videos. My wife Carla started watching the videos with me. Often on Saturday morning, we would watch a couple hours of Jeep videos and [Banned Site] ones became our favorites. We then started to hatch a plan. The plan was/is to off road from Arizona to Alaska. Basically put a Jeep behind the motorhome, go to to Arizona, then explore each western state until we make it to Alaska. Use the motorhome as a base camp and use the Jeep to explore. Explore an area then move on. When the JL came out, it was just about perfect timing. I was set to retire in September 2018 and planned to order the Jeep just after I retired. My wife retires three years after me so we will have time to pay off the Jeep, complete mods that we want/need to do for our travels. I started reading everything I could on the JLUR. Following Eddie's build of his JLUR, I started buying parts and mods for the Jeep. I figured Eddie was going to wheel way harder than I would so If it took the beating from Eddie, I should work for me.

So early summer, I started buying stuff, five Cooper STT Pro 37 in tires was the first major purchase, then five of ATX Slabs beadlock wheels, soon the TPMS were ordered, then a portable air compressor, a winch, and the normal recovery gear. Impulse bought an air jack, hate it. Soon other stuff started to arrive at the home, tire repair kits, shackles, foot pegs, tire deflators, and various other things that I thought might be nice for the Jeep.

Then I stumble on the need for a Jeep specific tool box/kit for on the trail. I read this huge thread, take notes and start outfitting a tool box. More to come on this. How did I get this old without a torque wrench?

So on September 17th 2018 finally arrives and I retire from 29 years, 6 months and 14 days from working in corrections. Then order a 2019 JLUR. As soon as my wife see the Jeep, she nicknames it the Mistress because, I am spending more time and money on the Jeep then her. Hence the name the Mistress. She will carry us into adventure.

We picked up the Mistress two days ago.

20181121_165523_zps50rea2zs.jpg

It currently has 94 miles on it and my bud, Bill and I started the build. The front bumper was the first thing to come off.

20181123_111440_zpsurdcyyei.jpg

Then with the new bumper and winch was added.

20181123_185300_zpss5hmb1jt.jpg

With the new from bumper and winch on we set about putting the tires and wheels on. The factory lug nuts would not work with the ATX Slabs so the search was on. Found the correct lug nuts at Discount Tire. Black Friday and Discount tire was a fucking Zoo.

20181123_185405_zps7obndnlg.jpg

We finished after dark. So not the best photos, but hey it was about doing Jeep stuff today with a long time friend. The last thing I did was add a decal to the passenger side dash. Yes it is a little off. It is done on purpose. In the prison system, we say the only way you can do this job long term is to be a little off. So it is a subtle reminder that we are a little off.

20181123_185527_zpsw5ienhvo.jpg

On Saturday, Bill and I will be adding a set of the Roam side rails putting on the front skid plate. Next week or so the lift should be in and then in December the Roam rear bumper and tire carrier should be in. Exciting times around here. I figure the Tazer JL mini will be here also in a coupe days. After the lift is in, then we hit some of the Michigan trails for a test run.

We are planning our first trip out west with the JLUR to Colorado to do a week of wheeling around the end of June into July.
Sponsored

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
Great story. I’ll be following your build. Looks like you ordered your JL a few days before me. Mine is in the railyard waiting to get trucked to the dealer.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
So this morning finished up some small stuff and a friend of mine that I am nudging into Jeeping took the Mistress for a ride through the woods. Nothing big as with out the lift, I can not flex to much. Did lock it in and run some 4H and 4L just to say I did. Not that I needed to.

20181124_121151_zpsrcuipkwg.jpg

20181124_122812_001_zpst4hmhkcu.jpg

20181124_122826_zpskp88rb54.jpg

On the trail prior to 200 miles.

CalsJLUR

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Looking good! White is the best color choice!

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Looking good! White is the best color choice!
I liked the Mojito color, wife...HATED it. called it a girls....color to pretty boy....not for the trails....It was a color to take to the golf course...

We both liked Red, but liked Red accents better.

We both liked the White and I thought that it would be easier to make look personal. The White is super bright, Then any add on, will really stand out. We both liked how the red accents on the white stood out. I will add this to the hood in the next couple days or so. This was made to match the Rubicon sticker on the side of the hood.

20181125_075742.jpg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Great looking build! Will you at some point be heading up to Drummond Island? I've heard there are some good trails there, not to mention the fact it is probably gorgeous!

CalsJLUR

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I liked the Mojito color, wife...HATED it. called it a girls....color to pretty boy....not for the trails....It was a color to take to the golf course...

We both liked Red, but liked Red accents better.

We both liked the White and I thought that it would be easier to make look personal. The White is super bright, Then any add on, will really stand out. We both liked how the red accents on the white stood out. I will add this to the hood in the next couple days or so. This was made to match the Rubicon sticker on the side of the hood.

20181125_075742.jpg
The sticker looks great! Interested to see how this build turns out. I am back and forth between the KM3, STT Pros and Patigonia MT. The Coopers look great on your rig!

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
The sticker looks great! Interested to see how this build turns out. I am back and forth between the KM3, STT Pros and Patigonia MT. The Coopers look great on your rig!
The Coopers are quiet going down the road. At 70 mph, I can still talk to my wife and listen to the radio at low volumes. I think the 37 are as quiet as the stock tires or quieter.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Great looking build! Will you at some point be heading up to Drummond Island? I've heard there are some good trails there, not to mention the fact it is probably gorgeous!
I have rode ATVs, SxS, snowmobiles, Geo Trackers, and Jeeps on Drummond Island. It is gorgeous. In fact I can be seen with Google Earth street view on Drummond Island. We were up there off roading and my faimily and I were standing next to our vehicles when the google car went by. I know the cool places to go see on Drummond Island.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
So I installed the Roam Offroad side armor steps yesterday.

20181128_103621.jpg

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Today I installed the Tazer Mini. I set the tire size to 37 and adjusted the TPMS to 20 pounds, Did a quick little drive and the speedo was dead on with GPS speed. Everything working right, then I cruised the fields behind the house.

20181129_140426.jpg

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Well, did some more tinkering with the Mistress and the Tazer. As a past drag racer, I find out that the Tazer has a line lock for doing burnouts. WHAT? Now I don't plan on doing any burnouts is what I tell the wife...... Might have to go to the back part of the yard or in the field and give this a test.. Just to make sure it works.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Cool build. A comma would have done wonders for your thread title, though!!

1B41918E-7858-4916-A06E-A2D4A852A860.png

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
So it did warm up enough to put the 1941 decal on. 47 degrees today.. Still overcast, but this is Michigan. We had snow yesterday.

20181202_160506_001.jpg

20181202_160438.jpg

20181202_160452 (1).jpg
Sponsored