Westin Triple Tube Rock Rails

JLUSSOBRTP

First Name
Aimee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I’m really confused. Potential rookie questions.
I’ve been doing a lot of research on rock rails/sliders, and it seems the consensus is that frame mounted rails are better than body mounted for off-road use. I don’t plan quite to go rock crawling, but do want to do moderate trails. I also wanted a bit of a step. I ran across the Westin Triple Tube rails and they seemed like the best of all worlds. They also look great. The Westin website says that they are “frame mounted.” Their promo video says they’re frame mounted. I get them, and unless I’m a struggling newbie who doesn’t understand, the only frame mount they use is in the front. The back two attach to the side body bolts. To make things even more confusing, the instructions explicitly state to remove the back and middle m12 body mount bolts and m10 nuts. Upon removing all 6 of them from the passenger side and lining up the rail, it became obvious that the mounting bracket could just slip around the M12 body mount bolt. They do not attach to the pinch seam. I realize I made a couple rookie mistakes in getting them - (not reading instructions before ordering/installing & then blindly following the instructions instead of making my own observations first). Never again. All that said, my questions are:

1. When people refer to body versus frame mounting, is this the area they’re taking about being weaker? Or is there another area y’all are referring to?
2. If yes, how do y’all feel about a frame + body mount combo for rails in terms of strength?

I went ahead and installed them and like the way they look, but am planning to send Westin an email after even more issues with the crummy hardware they included. Is the mounting advertising something I should include? Or is this typical if rails only have one frame bolt?

9936FEB2-7BD1-40B6-9DDF-22166CA81BFB.jpeg

5F070FC9-2A4A-4971-8869-527DBFE9CF8D.png

551A3675-6EE6-42CA-AA16-1B9B80A0F792.png
Sponsored

Wingman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon in Mojito; 2017 Orange Blast Metallic Chevy SS
Occupation
Architect
I too installed these Westin Rock Rails. It was the first major wrenching on my JLUR. I too was a bit perplexed by the instructions. Started with the drivers side, and loosened the bolts seemingly forever before looking closet nd realizing I just needed to loosen them, Which I agree should be stated. I also was petrified of breaking this bolt from reading this forum. Drivers side went in relatively easy but it took me a while to figure out the front connections.
I moved on to the passenger side and it went in easier with what I learned.
I actually contacted Westin and they sent me an additional hardware packet I thought I stripped the L bolt (towards the front) so I stopped turning. I actually contacted Westin and they sent me an additional hardware packet

I love the look and functionality. I likely will never rock climb but I have a shorter wife and a 9 year old so I really was looking for a beefy good looking step to match the Rubicon's looks.

After a week or so I noticed a squeak on the passenger side, towards the rear and more prevalent when I have passengers in the rear seat. he next weekend I took a look again, torqued the bolts and even put a little grease between the washers and the rail bracket. Still had the squeak .Backed the bolts out again. I ended up breaking one of the flanking M10 bolts in the process. I was worried but contact a JEEP friend who is also a mechanic. He fixed that up pretty quick. We spoke about the squeak and he was going to remedy it with thin neoprene or rubber pads to keep the metal on metal from squeaking. We have not gone down that road yet, and I still have the squeak. I drove it today and the squeak is still there, but it wasn't as annoying as I remember (This is my wifes daily I get weekend nd holiday visitation LOL) We'll see what we do. I still love the look and functionality; I wish it hid the pinch seam. I actually plastidipped my pinch seam black but peeled it off because didn't do an even job. I still may go that route as it looked good, I just need to get better at applying it. The Westin's look great but are hard to keep clean. I still think these are the best looking sliders available to match the stock Rubicon looks
IMG_20181028_171908.jpg
IMG_20181028_171941.jpg
IMG_20181028_171941.jpg
IMG_20181028_175652.jpg

MVIMG_20181028_175704.jpg

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
They look sharp!

OP
OP
JLUSSOBRTP

JLUSSOBRTP

First Name
Aimee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I had creaking for a while too. My neighbor who is a fellow Jeeper helped me take pretty much all of the hardware off the passenger side and start over. The Jeep had actually started to eat one of the washers because it was so small compared to the oval hole. We put fender washers on those. That movement had caused bad things to happen on the U bolt, so we had to spacer it out. Thankfully I didn't break anything. My creaking is gone though!

I dipped my pinch seams using Rustoleum Peel Coat Tungsten. It looks like it has a bit of texture and matches perfectly. Sprayed it over Grey Plasti Dip first.

27B9F4FA-FD94-49C9-992F-521F8E2AC5A1.jpeg

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
I’m really confused. Potential rookie questions.
I’ve been doing a lot of research on rock rails/sliders, and it seems the consensus is that frame mounted rails are better than body mounted for off-road use. I don’t plan quite to go rock crawling, but do want to do moderate trails. I also wanted a bit of a step. I ran across the Westin Triple Tube rails and they seemed like the best of all worlds. They also look great. The Westin website says that they are “frame mounted.” Their promo video says they’re frame mounted. I get them, and unless I’m a struggling newbie who doesn’t understand, the only frame mount they use is in the front. The back two attach to the side body bolts. To make things even more confusing, the instructions explicitly state to remove the back and middle m12 body mount bolts and m10 nuts. Upon removing all 6 of them from the passenger side and lining up the rail, it became obvious that the mounting bracket could just slip around the M12 body mount bolt. They do not attach to the pinch seam. I realize I made a couple rookie mistakes in getting them - (not reading instructions before ordering/installing & then blindly following the instructions instead of making my own observations first). Never again. All that said, my questions are:

1. When people refer to body versus frame mounting, is this the area they’re taking about being weaker? Or is there another area y’all are referring to?
2. If yes, how do y’all feel about a frame + body mount combo for rails in terms of strength?

I went ahead and installed them and like the way they look, but am planning to send Westin an email after even more issues with the crummy hardware they included. Is the mounting advertising something I should include? Or is this typical if rails only have one frame bolt?

9936FEB2-7BD1-40B6-9DDF-22166CA81BFB.jpeg

5F070FC9-2A4A-4971-8869-527DBFE9CF8D.png

551A3675-6EE6-42CA-AA16-1B9B80A0F792.png
Using the body mount is still considered frame mount. Some steps (such as the OEM mopar ones on the sport) actually bolt to the pinch seam. This would be considered body mount. By mounting onto the mounts that the body is bolted to, they are technically mounted to brackets that are welded to the frame, therefore part of the frame. Hope that gives you a bit better understanding. I could be wrong but as long as not bolted to the pinch seam, think that is considered frame mounted.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLUSSOBRTP

JLUSSOBRTP

First Name
Aimee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Using the body mount is still considered frame mount. Some steps (such as the OEM mopar ones on the sport) actually bolt to the pinch seam. This would be considered body mount. By mounting onto the mounts that the body is bolted to, they are technically mounted to brackets that are welded to the frame, therefore part of the frame. Hope that gives you a bit better understanding. I could be wrong but as long as not bolted to the pinch seam, think that is considered frame mounted.
Thank you! I was hoping that was the case! You rock.

Wingman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon in Mojito; 2017 Orange Blast Metallic Chevy SS
Occupation
Architect
I had creaking for a while too. My neighbor who is a fellow Jeeper helped me take pretty much all of the hardware off the passenger side and start over. The Jeep had actually started to eat one of the washers because it was so small compared to the oval hole. We put fender washers on those. That movement had caused bad things to happen on the U bolt, so we had to spacer it out. Thankfully I didn't break anything. My creaking is gone though!

I dipped my pinch seams using Rustoleum Peel Coat Tungsten. It looks like it has a bit of texture and matches perfectly. Sprayed it over Grey Plasti Dip first.

Good to know...I will look at my washers and U bolt. I 'painted' the same area but peeled it because I wasn't happy with my application. Will likely do it in the spring

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I also have these with a painted pinch seem. Very happy so far.
I did not do the install myself though...

IMG_7375.jpg

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392

Got the same issue with the passenger side rear mount. When you flex the body any, you hear a squeak/ rub sound. I have tightened/loosened/lubricated and everything thing in between. Every time I think it’s gone, in a few days it’s back. The fender washers you mentioned where put on the M10 nuts that flank the main body bolt? I am just about finished with these steps. I will give your fix a try.

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I am done with the Westin step/rails. I have been able to make them squeak/pop less, but I have had the passenger rail off 5 times trying something different. It’s only the passenger rail. They are coming off and new LOD Destroyer rails ordered. Anyone nearby that wants a science project, let me know, I will make a killer deal on the Westin’s!

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I have no squeaking on mine. Did you guys use the pads that they included for the front mounts?

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I have no squeaking on mine. Did you guys use the pads that they included for the front mounts?
Yes. Passenger rear mount squeaks and when the Jeep flexes any it sounds like someone is hitting the bottom of the Jeep under the pass rear seat. I think the rear pass mount is off by some amount and has some clearance when bolted up. And to pull it up with the bolts will snap the little bolts on the side of the body bolts. I tried shims etc but no luck.

homebrew

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JL Rubicon
So whats the trick to getting these to stay quiet? has anyone actually used them as sliders? I have a set on the way. Thanks

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
So whats the trick to getting these to stay quiet? has anyone actually used them as sliders? I have a set on the way. Thanks
They will hold up just fine. They are just as strong and frame mounted like a lot of other brands.

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is quiet... not sure what the other issue is
Sponsored