Sponsored

Test drive Sahara vs Rubicon in Ontario Canada

Gus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler 2018 JLU Rubicon
Hi All,
Finally the JLU has arrived in Ontario, and I got a chance to take both the Rubicon and Sahara for a test drive.

My observation:

1. the Rubicon seems it has a rougher suspension and bounces more on street bumps vs the Sahara much smoother ride.
2. the gears on the Rubicon are louder and lower I am assuming due to the lower gear ratio, so it sounds louder and bit slower compared to the zahran where the gear shift is much smother and the acceleration is kind of faster and smoother as well
3. The rubicon had cloth seats, so the rear seat doesn't have the middle cup holders fold option, but the Sahara With leather seats has it. I am not sure if this has to do with the leather vs cloth package, or Sahara vs Rubicon?
4. The rubicon rides higher for sure, due to bigger tires, the door entry thought from the edge to the ground for both Sahara and Rubicon seems very close within 1 cm or so
5. There was a sport parked next to the Rubicon, and I noticed the fenders and the fender front light of the sport, are smaller compared to the Sahara and Rubicon, the whole fender is also noticeably thinner including the light..
6. The dual top comes with premium soft top
7.teh Sahara is easier to climb in obviously due to the side steps, when compared with Rubicon, (no sidesteps)

It definitely worth paying the extra 3-4K for the Rubicon(specially the looks and performance options) , but it is on the account of the comfort of the ride. It just something to think over!!!

Any comments and feedback on the above is always welcomed.

Thanks
Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Interesting thanks. I know for sure in the next week or so....

Reactions: Gus

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Thanks! Would have loved some good rubicon cloth interior pics.... I havenā€™t found any decent real life photos of them.

Sponsored

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
Gus thanks for sharing. Good stuff.

It looks like Rubicon clothe option doesn't have red stitching on top of dash or center arm rest. Or door arm rests (which we knew). At least the center arm rest doesn't have white stitching like the build a jeep and some pre production jeeps.

OP
OP
Gus

Gus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gus thanks for sharing. Good stuff.

It looks like Rubicon clothe option doesn't have red stitching on top of dash or center arm rest. Or door arm rests (which we knew). At least the center arm rest doesn't have white stitching like the build a jeep and some pre production jeeps.
Good observation. Thanks for sharing.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Were you able to get them to highway speeds? One of the biggest complaints I had with my 2 door JK was it didn't seem to really like going more than 65 and even then I looked drink with it tracking. I know it's not a highway cruiser but I'm hoping it's a bit better when I get out on the windy 75mph highways.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gus

Gus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Were you able to get them to highway speeds? One of the biggest complaints I had with my 2 door JK was it didn't seem to really like going more than 65 and even then I looked drink with it tracking. I know it's not a highway cruiser but I'm hoping it's a bit better when I get out on the windy 75mph highways.
noI didn't, will try next time.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same issues with my 2dr at speed. The 4dr's always felt much more stable at 60+mph with their longer wheel base, but nowhere near any "cars" I've owned.

Bluerhino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2005 Porsche 911 S
How did the electronic start stop feel. Was it smooth to or jerky. In my wifeā€™s BMW X3 it is very jerky. Drives me crazy.

OP
OP
Gus

Gus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you talking about the rubicon in specific or Wrangler in general ?

OP
OP
Gus

Gus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How did the electronic start stop feel. Was it smooth to or jerky. In my wifeā€™s BMW X3 it is very jerky. Drives me crazy.
It felt ok didnā€™t really pay much attention to it.
Sponsored