Sponsored

What am I missing here... it sure seems to me like the upcoming hybrid is the ONLY Wrangler to get!

lagunajim

I don't know how you can say that -- they certainly have their place, and I know a lot of people who own them who are happy.

FYI, my current daily-driver scores 11.4 mpg ;)
Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
I don't know how you can say that -- they certainly have their place, and I know a lot of people who own them who are happy.

FYI, my current daily-driver scores 11.4 mpg ;)
Plenty of people do love them and that is there perogative. In my experience with an albeit small sample size across 3 different hybrid types they have been overwhelmingly crap. My in laws have had several and the prius in particular is downright frightening to drive in more than 3 iches of snow.

The only hybrid that has ever sparked a bit of interest in me was that 600hp hub wheel mini cooper s with a honda rebel 250cc motor for charging. And that would only be for track days. Not that id fit easily in a cooper.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
Having owned an electric auto I will not buy a hybrid in the near future. They cannot last. Maintenance is a killer. A 1966 Willy's still has value because it is simple to use and maintain.

lagunajim

Having owned an electric auto I will not buy a hybrid in the near future. They cannot last. Maintenance is a killer. A 1966 Willy's still has value because it is simple to use and maintain.
Just curious, what vehicle did you have?

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Definitely true about the maintenance thing. One of the things I like most about the CJ, YJ, TJ and hate about the JL is the ease of maintenance. In the CJ, YJ, TJ I have room to get at things...I don't have to take a bunch off stuff off to reach what I need to work on. Dreading working on this Pentastar 3.6. As far as sale value jeeps in general are like gold. They just don't drop much in value. Not sure about an hybrid e-jeep as only time will tell but I imagine that it wouldn't hold its value as well since batteries have a very limited lifespan. IMHO the only way that a 10yr old e-jeep with out-value a conventional jeep would be if the government mandates the use of hybrid e-vehicles. Nobody is going to want to buy a 10 yr old hybrid jeep knowing that the battery has reached its lifespan and that they will have to shell out $5-10k to get a new one. We're already seeing that in Prius' now.

Sponsored

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
A lot of countries are already making the mandatory push to electric. It’s only a matter of time so enjoy it while you can.

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
So with the plug in hybrid being listed as a 2020 arrival can we assume that it will likely be a 2021 model?

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I still just can wrap my head around a hybrid vehicle of any kind.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Here would be my concerns if I was the one purchasing:

1) What's the warranty on the hybrid?
2) How much is it going to cost to replace that battery pack out of warranty? (A lot.)
3) How is it going to handle water, particularly standing water on the roadway and small water crossings off road?
4) Will I be able to do any work on this thing in my own driveway to save money in the future?
5) What's the reliability going to look like compared to the standard engine options? (Probably worse.)
6) What's the resale value going to look like? (My guess is atrocious.)
7) How much curb weight is that battery pack going to add? And how much payload/towing is that going to kill? (Probably 50% of it)
8) How will this sophisticated hybrid system affect insurance rates?
9) How much ground clearance is going to be lost to the battery pack hanging low under the body?
10) What is the maintenance schedule going to be?

To me, "Wrangler" and "Hybrid" aren't two words that go together. I have a friend who owns a Toyota Highlander (I think) that is a hybrid and this past summer he was hauling some water containers in the cargo area. One of them turned over and spilled in his cargo area and killed his battery system. I think it was $3,500 to get it running again. No thanks. I'll pass. Gasoline combustion has worked for over 100 years. It's just fine for another 100.

Sponsored

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here would be my concerns if I was the one purchasing:

1) What's the warranty on the hybrid?
2) How much is it going to cost to replace that battery pack out of warranty? (A lot.)
3) How is it going to handle water, particularly standing water on the roadway and small water crossings off road?
4) Will I be able to do any work on this thing in my own driveway to save money in the future?
5) What's the reliability going to look like compared to the standard engine options? (Probably worse.)
6) What's the resale value going to look like? (My guess is atrocious.)
7) How much curb weight is that battery pack going to add? And how much payload/towing is that going to kill? (Probably 50% of it)
8) How will this sophisticated hybrid system affect insurance rates?
9) How much ground clearance is going to be lost to the battery pack hanging low under the body?
10) What is the maintenance schedule going to be?

To me, "Wrangler" and "Hybrid" aren't two words that go together. I have a friend who owns a Toyota Highlander (I think) that is a hybrid and this past summer he was hauling some water containers in the cargo area. One of them turned over and spilled in his cargo area and killed his battery system. I think it was $3,500 to get it running again. No thanks. I'll pass. Gasoline combustion has worked for over 100 years. It's just fine for another 100.
If it's like the Pacifica Hybrid, it will have a 10 year / 150,000 mile warranty on the battery. It's likely that most initial buyers will sell their Wrangler Hybrid long before battery replacement prices become a consideration. The 2nd or 3rd buyers will likely have to consider that. I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't sell it if it wasn't highly waterproof... it's still a wrangler after all. I've never heard of hybrid resale rates being atrocious... is that a thing that I'm not aware of?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If it's like the Pacifica Hybrid, it will have a 10 year / 150,000 mile warranty on the battery. It's likely that most initial buyers will sell their Wrangler Hybrid long before battery replacement prices become a consideration. The 2nd or 3rd buyers will likely have to consider that. I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't sell it if it wasn't highly waterproof... it's still a wrangler after all. I've never heard of hybrid resale rates being atrocious... is that a thing that I'm not aware of?
Federal emission law requires an 8 yr 80,000 mile warranty on the generator and 48v power pack so that is what is listed in the 2019 Jeep warranty manual. I wouldn't buy it because it is far too complicated and requires premium gas which, cost-wise, does away with the small increase in mileage improvement. Also, the extra battery causes more pollution because battery manufacturing is one of the most toxic processes.

And as to the carbon footprint reduction with a plug-in electric Forbes a few years ago printed a study that was done that said just about everywhere except the NW it was breakeven or worse for the electric vehicle because most states rely on carbon fuel to generate electricity. Also don't like everyone paying taxes to incentivize people to buy electric cars (or solar panels, etc.). If a technology that has been around for decades can't sustain itself without my tax dollar it doesn't need to exist.

And right now the cost of battery replacement is very expensive so any car with batteries looses value because the next buyer knows it may cost a lot to replace them while they own the car. Yes we need to find a way to have vehicles that can go 500 miles with instant replenishing of fuel with reasonable cost but we aren't there anytime in the near future. America is a big country and while some only travel a few miles a day and can wait for an overnight charge, many live in areas where they need to drive long distances everyday or have jobs that require long trips. Plus do you have a car for short distances and one that can drive further for holiday and vacation travel? I don't want to be 4 wheeling in back country when my electric Jeep runs out of power. Not the same as bringing a couple of gallons of gas to get going again.

And I am not a millenial but I was a mechanical engineer that did design solar systems so I'm not against alternate energy but it has to make sense.

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FeI wouldn't buy it because it is far too complicated and requires premium gas which, cost-wise, does away with the small increase in mileage improvement.
I don't think that the Pacifica Hybrid requires premium gas... at least that is what is listed on www.fueleconomy.gov

Jeddi

First Name
Jeddi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK8
I've had a Tesla MS since 2013 and still love the car (even after 87k miles). Don't knock till you try it!
Sponsored