Sponsored

My first Jeep build in 20 years

texastonka

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Trackhawk, AEV Prospector XL, Viper TA2.0, Dodge Demon, etc etc etc...
Posted in wrong area before, sorry.

I haven't had a Jeep since I sold my '84 CJ7 back in early 2000's. The bug finally found me again and I've ordered a 2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon. Aftermarket is still slim on these new rigs but I'm sure it will grow quickly.
What I plan on for build in the first few miles of ownership:
6.4L engine & trans swap at Dakota Customs
Dynatrac JL Pro Rock XD60 72" width front and rear with 5.13 gears and Eaton ELocker4 integrated to OEM switch
New drive shafts front and rear
Metal Cloak 3.5" Game Changer with 6paks
Trailready or Spyder Lock 17" beadlocks with 5.5" BS
40x13.50R17 Pro Comp Xtreme M/T 2
Metal cloak armor, underside, fenders, rails, rocker skins, bumpers etc.
PSC hydro assist steering

This should be enough work to get through the winter and get started on some trails. My question now is from being so far out of the scene, I've done research on quality parts, from my current list does anyone have any advise on any parts listed NOT to get? Or a better option for my first stage? I bypassed the TJ and JK, moving right from CJ to JL so it is a complete new animal. Appreciate any input, good, bad or indifferent. Excited to be getting back in the off road world.
Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Sounds like you've done your homework. As far as I know, most of those parts are from reputable, quality manufacturers. You should have good luck with them. I have a JLUR coming (in Orange) in a few weeks and it is my first Jeep outside the TJ platform, so I have some research to do myself. Good luck with the build- Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

OP
OP
texastonka

texastonka

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you've done your homework. As far as I know, most of those parts are from reputable, quality manufacturers. You should have good luck with them. I have a JLUR coming (in Orange) in a few weeks and it is my first Jeep outside the TJ platform, so I have some research to do myself. Good luck with the build- Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
Appreciate it. Back in the CJ days you had to make your own really good suspension and engine swaps were more done in the barn with a welder and axles were Lincoln locked. Technology and the marketplace has really stepped up. Never thought I'd be able to wheel a 'bolt on' Jeep but these parts look like they should do the trick.
Good luck on your new Jeep as well! These 4 door JL are monster sized compared to our old ones.

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
@texastonka - take this with a grain of salt as I’ve just started researching, have never owned a jeep before, and don’t get mine until after the new year...

BUT, I’ve been looking at AEV for bumpers, wheels, etc., and I know they do the Hemi swap. I’ve been asking around and AEV gets nothing but positive reviews in function, finish, customer service, etc.

Just thought I’d add them to your list to look at.

Chad

OP
OP
texastonka

texastonka

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@texastonka - take this with a grain of salt as I’ve just started researching, have never owned a jeep before, and don’t get mine until after the new year...

BUT, I’ve been looking at AEV for bumpers, wheels, etc., and I know they do the Hemi swap. I’ve been asking around and AEV gets nothing but positive reviews in function, finish, customer service, etc.

Just thought I’d add them to your list to look at.

Chad
I know AEV well. I have a Prospector XL using a Tungsten Limited Ram 2500. Not a cheap build.
I like their stuff but not for rocks. Expedition type vehicle yes but not play toy rocks/trails.
Also they do not do a Hemi swap for the JL yet just JK. Already spoke with them in detail about it. Dakota Customs was great customer service and talked to me in depth about his swap.
AEV is a great company, not knocking them at all. I love my Prospector XL. They just don’t make parts for the type of wheeling I plan on doing.

Sponsored

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
I know AEV well. I have a Prospector XL using a Tungsten Limited Ram 2500. Not a cheap build.
I like their stuff but not for rocks. Expedition type vehicle yes but not play toy rocks/trails.
Also they do not do a Hemi swap for the JL yet just JK. Already spoke with them in detail about it. Dakota Customs was great customer service and talked to me in depth about his swap.
AEV is a great company, not knocking them at all. I love my Prospector XL. They just don’t make parts for the type of wheeling I plan on doing.
Ahh... see, I hadn’t even thought about the major difference between an expedition and rock wheeling.

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
Engine Swap... I would seriously consider Motech. I currently have a 17 JK at Motech for an LT1 swap. They have several videos of their 5.3 swap in a JLU.

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @texastonka - I’m in Southern Illinois and will just start wheeling when my JLUR arrives in January. I’m going to put 35’s on with AEV Rims, and want to lift it probably 2.5”. The wheeling plan to do will first be trails, and then SOME rocks, but probably won’t go crazy with that.

What should I be looking for in a lift? I haven’t even started researching it.

OP
OP
texastonka

texastonka

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine Swap... I would seriously consider Motech. I currently have a 17 JK at Motech for an LT1 swap. They have several videos of their 5.3 swap in a JLU.
I did consider them, and I've heard nothing but excellent reviews. Was considering to swap in a L86 with 8 speed trans. More I thought about it the more I wanted the Hemi. I've heard of some cooling issues in the past but newer stuff has solved that. Hemi has more power and more torque and I'll be going with a truck 8spd with the 500hp 6.4 Hemi, or if Santa is really good to me I ya go with the 6.2 Hellcat motor. It's a big jump in price so that is only about a 10% chance right now.
I've been MOPAR or no car since age 15 so sticking with MOPAR hemi in a Jeep was kinda a must for personal preference.
The l86 may run smoother and actually work better but it isn't a hemi. Lol.

OP
OP
texastonka

texastonka

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey @texastonka - I’m in Southern Illinois and will just start wheeling when my JLUR arrives in January. I’m going to put 35’s on with AEV Rims, and want to lift it probably 2.5”. The wheeling plan to do will first be trails, and then SOME rocks, but probably won’t go crazy with that.

What should I be looking for in a lift? I haven’t even started researching it.
Ezun- no one can answer this for you. It depends 100% on your personal use of the truck. From your brief description and being in Illinois maybe a AEV conversion is perfect for you. They ride great on trails and street and mild rocks. But if you want to go a little more hardcore trails and rocks and want awesome road you'd need to go with MatalCloak or Teraflex in my opinion. If you want all out off-road then a full $8k EVO kit may be what you need. All suspension has pros and cons, plus and minus, trade offs in one area for another.
I was very impressed with the JK long arm Metal Cloak and their 6pak shocks. They don't offer that for the JL yet but I'm going mid arm Matal Cloak for the short term and hope the long arm kit comes out as an upgrade.

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
Ezun- no one can answer this for you. It depends 100% on your personal use of the truck. From your brief description and being in Illinois maybe a AEV conversion is perfect for you. They ride great on trails and street and mild rocks. But if you want to go a little more hardcore trails and rocks and want awesome road you'd need to go with MatalCloak or Teraflex in my opinion. If you want all out off-road then a full $8k EVO kit may be what you need. All suspension has pros and cons, plus and minus, trade offs in one area for another.
I was very impressed with the JK long arm Metal Cloak and their 6pak shocks. They don't offer that for the JL yet but I'm going mid arm Matal Cloak for the short term and hope the long arm kit comes out as an upgrade.
Texastonka: Thanks, this is helpful. I had a feeling that was the case - that I’d have to figure out what the heck I want to do. Being brand new to Wranglers it’s like not knowing how to swim and being dropped in the middle of the ocean.

I’m leaning towards MetalCloak/Teraflex given most of the comments on here. I like your comment “awesome road” - that makes me more interested in the MetalCloak.

For someone who is highly capable, but has never done the work - do people usually install MetalCloak DIY?
Sponsored