Sponsored

Track bar weld repair

TDjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
My jl is on the recall, including the build number, so my dealer will be taking photos to submit on Thursday. I'm wondering how everyone else is feeling about the fix. I'm very curious to see how good the repair weld is. Has anyone had a repair yet? My outside weld looks pretty good, inside weld is shaky at best.
Sponsored

Zane6842

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

TDjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Yeah I'm just getting started on this issue. I just wondered if anybody has had the repair completed yet.

OP
OP

TDjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Pic of interior weld

Screenshot_2018-10-06-09-25-56.png

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Just because a recall is issued and a fix is in place, reporting to NHTSA is still a good idea for several reasons.

We’ve been told by FCA that only 18,000 vehicles with very specific frame build dates are possibly involved, and of those only 700-800 are likely to be defective. What if they’re wrong? It seems as if they could be, because vehicles outside of their parameters seem to have suspect welds too. Everyone needs to report so they (and we) have a better understanding of the scope of the problem besides taking FCA at their word.

If he has a crash due to the defective weld failing before the repair is performed (or even afterward) NHTSA needs to know so they can investigate. I don’t trust that FCA or any manufacturer will “do the right thing” on this regard without being required to by a government authority - see Honda, Toyota, Ford, etc., etc.

If this issue (or any issue from any manufacturer) causes someone to get hurt or worse, it’ll be good to have as much documented evidence of the issue and who knew what and when they knew it for the inevitable personal injury or wrongful death litigation.

And lastly, why not report it? Doesn’t hurt or cost anything, and it could possibly help by providing more complete information.

Just my .02.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Just because a recall is issued and a fix is in place, reporting to NHTSA is still a good idea for several reasons.

We’ve been told by FCA that only 18,000 vehicles with very specific frame build dates are possibly involved, and of those only 700-800 are likely to be defective. What if they’re wrong? It seems as if they could be, because vehicles outside of their parameters seem to have suspect welds too. Everyone needs to report so they (and we) have a better understanding of the scope of the problem besides taking FCA at their word.

If he has a crash due to the defective weld failing before the repair is performed (or even afterward) NHTSA needs to know so they can investigate. I don’t trust that FCA or any manufacturer will “do the right thing” on this regard without being required to by a government authority - see Honda, Toyota, Ford, etc., etc.

If this issue (or any issue from any manufacturer) causes someone to get hurt or worse, it’ll be good to have as much documented evidence of the issue and who knew what and when they knew it for the inevitable personal injury or wrongful death litigation.

And lastly, why not report it? Doesn’t hurt or cost anything, and it could possibly help by providing more complete information.

Just my .02.
Exactly so ! Also tell Trump . Make Jeep Great Again .

RamMan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Dsl. / '16 Ram PW / '14 GC Dsl.
Occupation
Transport / Odd Jobs
My welds looked OK (not recalled);but I took the Forum's advice, and ordered / installed an overlay support bracket ($110) from Rusty's Off Road. Anything to stiffen the frame bracket is worth it. The installation must have done something. The steering wheel went to the 11:30 position from straight up. I easily corrected that. The JLs already track better than the JKs, more like a car.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
My welds looked OK (not recalled);but I took the Forum's advice, and ordered / installed an overlay support bracket ($110) from Rusty's Off Road. Anything to stiffen the frame bracket is worth it. The installation must have done something. The steering wheel went to the 11:30 position from straight up. I easily corrected that. The JLs already track better than the JKs, more like a car.
That’s interesting. I guess it affected the track bar position and caused the axle to shift to the right, causing your drag link to pull your tires slightly to the right? That seems the only thing it could have done. It still uses the original bracket and mounting hole location so in theory it should not have changed anything.

Did you have to lengthen the drag link to correct the steering wheel?
Sponsored