Installed Mopar Rubicon Steel Bumper on a Sahara. Here's what we learned

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
You're correct that you have to order the steel skid plate and spacer if you change to the Rubi steel bumper. Additionally, there is a bracket you need to mount the skid plate.
So does the steel bumper package come with a steel skid plate when I order it via option from the factory?? My dealer said NO.
Sponsored

OP
OP

KBCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q7
How much was the hood, painted and installed?
To be honest, I don't remember now. It was wrapped up in the bill for the car and some other things we did to the car before we picked it up. If it's important, I can check it in a couple of days....we're not in town right now.

OP
OP

KBCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q7
So does the steel bumper package come with a steel skid plate when I order it via option from the factory?? My dealer said NO.
I don't know the answer to that question - we did not order the bumper as an option on a new car. I ordered it after the fact as a part from MoPar. In that situation, the steel skid plate doesn't come with the MoPar steel bumper, and the plastic skid plat will not fit up with the steel bumper.

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I don't know the answer to that question - we did not order the bumper as an option on a new car. I ordered it after the fact as a part from MoPar. In that situation, the steel skid plate doesn't come with the MoPar steel bumper, and the plastic skid plat will not fit up with the steel bumper.
So by that, you could assume the steel bumper group comes with a steel skid plate? My dealer was very confident that the group only came with a steel rear and front bumper and not skid plates based on the discriptjon of the package.

Sponsored

OP
OP

KBCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q7
So by that, you could assume the steel bumper group comes with a steel skid plate? My dealer was very confident that the group only came with a steel rear and front bumper and not skid plates based on the discriptjon of the package.
Welllllllllllll, I can make assumptions, but I do not know the factual answer <G> I'd say trust your dealer..............if he's wrong, it's his problem. You might also call another dealer and see if you get the same answer.

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Welllllllllllll, I can make assumptions, but I do not know the factual answer <G> I'd say trust your dealer..............if he's wrong, it's his problem. You might also call another dealer and see if you get the same answer.
Why is it his problem? I specially told him I wanted the steel bumper group because I wanted a steel skid plate from the factory. I don’t have a fantastic reason as to why I wanted that but Its what I wanted. I think it is my problem now

OP
OP

KBCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q7
Why is it his problem? I specially told him I wanted the steel bumper group because I wanted a steel skid plate from the factory. I don’t have a fantastic reason as to why I wanted that but Its what I wanted. I think it is my problem now
I'm sorry, maybe I'm not understanding the issue you're articulating. I understood you were trying to determine if the steel skid plate was part of the steel bumper group. You're dealer said no, so I assume you ordered a skid plate separately (because you wanted it). If the bumper group comes in with a steel skid plate and you end up with two, I'd say it's the dealers issue and he'll have to refund the second plate - he said the skid plate wasn't part of the bumper group. If the bumper group comes in without the skid plate, you're golden..........it worked as planned. I also suggested you could kind of check on the accuracy of what the dealer told you by calling another dealer and asking them.

Did I get it right, or do I misunderstand the issue?

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I'm sorry, maybe I'm not understanding the issue you're articulating. I understood you were trying to determine if the steel skid plate was part of the steel bumper group. You're dealer said no, so I assume you ordered a skid plate separately (because you wanted it). If the bumper group comes in with a steel skid plate and you end up with two, I'd say it's the dealers issue and he'll have to refund the second plate - he said the skid plate wasn't part of the bumper group. If the bumper group comes in without the skid plate, you're golden..........it worked as planned. I also suggested you could kind of check on the accuracy of what the dealer told you by calling another dealer and asking them.

Did I get it right, or do I misunderstand the issue?

Misunderstanding and it’s probably my fault for not being clear. The dealer said it didn’t come with steel skid plate. I didn’t order the group because it didn’t have the skid plate and I was worried an aftermarket steel skid plate might not have fit with the mopar steel bumper. I was also getting the vehicle at the below FFP, I don’t even wanna know how much the whole set up costs at this point

OP
OP

KBCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q7
Misunderstanding and it’s probably my fault for not being clear. The dealer said it didn’t come with steel skid plate. I didn’t order the group because it didn’t have the skid plate and I was worried an aftermarket steel skid plate might not have fit with the mopar steel bumper. I was also getting the vehicle at the below FFP, I don’t even wanna know how much the whole set up costs at this point
Ahhhhh I get it now. Thanks for the clarification <G>

Sponsored

Jessjames357

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Just a heads-up!! I ordered a Rubicon steel bumper for our Sahara. I was "supposed" to bolt right up with no other parts needed. Because it was a new JL aftermarket production part from MoPar, it took forever to get it and I'd kind of lost interest as the original bumper worked fine with my fire department lights......but I gave my word and I honored it with the dealer. The bumper finally came in and the dealer mounted it this morning. Here's what we learned; a) the bumper bolts right up - no problem at all, b) the original Sahara LED fog lights work perfectly in the Rubicon steel bumper, c) the skid plate and air dam between the bumper and grill (from the Sahara with a plastic bumper) will NOT work, you have to order a new, steel skid plate and air dam for a Rubicon, d) The changeover took twice as long as the dealer work sheet said......though it was their first such effort so I assume there will be an improved learning curve. Benson Jeep (Greenville SC) took very good care of me and we worked out a mutually agreeable deal to get the rest of the parts and finish the job. It's GOOD to do business with a good dealer!

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG

Thanks for the post I was looking to do the same thing was just waiting to pick one up from a Rubicon owner who swapped out to aftermarket.

WrnglrJL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
LEO
I Have the Rubicon steel front bumper and skid plate and winch guard on my Sahara and I love it. Who cares what anyone else does with their jeep, it definitely isn't like one couldn't afford the rubicon they are all pretty much in the same price point. Let everyone be happy and enjoy their jeeps.
IMG_4251.JPG

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
I Have the Rubicon steel front bumper and skid plate and winch guard on my Sahara and I love it. Who cares what anyone else does with their jeep, it definitely isn't like one couldn't afford the rubicon they are all pretty much in the same price point. Let everyone be happy and enjoy their jeeps.
IMG_4251.JPG
Looks great!

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
b) the original Sahara LED fog lights work perfectly in the Rubicon steel bumper
Can you confirm this? I had thought that I read the LED fogs coming out of plastic bumpers would not fit the steel bumpers.

I have a Rubi with LED fogs and plastic bumper. Would like to upgrade to a steel bumper and am trying to understand if I need new fogs, or if the ones I have in my plastic bumper will work.

Also, I had not realized a "spacer" was needed for the steel skid. Any details on that? Any links to the factory skid and/or spacer so I can start to piece everything together?

Snowwhite

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Can you confirm this? I had thought that I read the LED fogs coming out of plastic bumpers would not fit the steel bumpers.

I have a Rubi with LED fogs and plastic bumper. Would like to upgrade to a steel bumper and am trying to understand if I need new fogs, or if the ones I have in my plastic bumper will work.

Also, I had not realized a "spacer" was needed for the steel skid. Any details on that? Any links to the factory skid and/or spacer so I can start to piece everything together?
I was hoping you could confirm this too? I read that there is a bracket that needs to be added to move the Sahara JL led fog lights to the steel rubi bumper?
Sponsored