Sponsored

Need help choosing an exhaust. Anyone have an ideal sounding exhaust?!

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
  • Banned
Was looking to get Flowmaster Outlaw but seems to be very loud. I like the way it sounds on video but worried it may be much louder in person. Anyone have this exhaust? Your thoughts?

Anyone have an exhaust that they would highly recommend? Looking for sound that's throaty when you get on it but relatively low in volume on cold start or cruising.
Sponsored

snowren24

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2007 Acura TL-S, 2013 Triumph Street Triple
Vehicle Showcase
watching this one for sure.

I was looking at the flowmaster exhaust and intake as well but I'd prefer something different I think.

I've been thinking about the MangaFlow exhaust. I wish there was something reliable out there showing them side by side, same mic set ups and what not. .

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I have the AFE rockbasher. I love it, it gets compliments on the sound of it all the time, deeper sounding. I have a soft top and I dont notice any drone out of it, very minimal at most.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
  • Banned
Did you guys see this review of the Borla? They have 3 options....normal, sorta loud (sport) and really loud....this reviewed the sport and I was thinking of going with this.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/borla-cat-back-exhaust-review.18061/#post-440695
Wow that sounds perfect, just what I looking for.

I'll be honest I'm a mopar guy but I dont see them releasing an exhaust anytime soon. With that said what are the negatives of adding an aftermarket exhaust?

Still waiting for Mopar to release the intake...

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I've been a FLOWMASTER ADDICT for over 25 years and still have the "10" series on my RAM--loud and DEEP--I really enjoy it, but--

Fast forward to the JL 2dr "soft top"--

I installed the DYNOMAX "TURBO", has a very light background tone and no DRONE, so it's very pleasant with the top down and there's no interference with phone/conversations--

SUNP0175_zpslsfs4wby.jpg

The muffler tucks "WAY UP" outta the way and the tips can be removed in less than one minute--

If I want noise I drive the RAM--

W.E.

JIMBO

JLU4TJ

Wow that sounds perfect, just what I looking for.

I'll be honest I'm a mopar guy but I dont see them releasing an exhaust anytime soon. With that said what are the negatives of adding an aftermarket exhaust?

Still waiting for Mopar to release the intake...
I think you're right...I don't think they're in a hurry to release another Exhaust System anytime soon. I have never added an aftermarket exhaust before so I was reading around doing my own research too. It seems really easy to do yourself...which was important to me...and it had enough sound that it was better than stock but not so much sound that it would be droning on and on while on a long freeway trip or upset my neighbors. Let us know what you end up going with once you do...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
  • Banned
I've been a FLOWMASTER ADDICT for over 25 years and still have the "10" series on my RAM--loud and DEEP--I really enjoy it, but--

Fast forward to the JL 2dr "soft top"--

I installed the DYNOMAX "TURBO", has a very light background tone and no DRONE, so it's very pleasant with the top down and there's no interference with phone/conversations--

SUNP0175_zpslsfs4wby.jpg

The muffler tucks "WAY UP" outta the way and the tips can be removed in less than one minute--

If I want noise I drive the RAM--

W.E.

JIMBO
Not sure I completely underst
So many options. it's...exhausting.
:cwl::cwl:good one

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I got the Borla s-Type and it’s awesome. I would have accepted a louder one, but the more I drive with this one the more I like it. The S-type is the middle one. I think the Touring one will be very quite in comparison.
I watched a ton of videos and nothing there gives you the real feeling.

Sponsored

JLU4TJ

I got the Borla s-Type and it’s awesome. I would have accepted a louder one, but the more I drive with this one the more I like it. The S-type is the middle one. I think the Touring one will be very quite in comparison.
I watched a ton of videos and nothing there gives you the real feeling.
Thanks!!!!!

JLJS74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4DR JL
I recently got the Borla S-Type as well (middle option) in black. I like it, but I would like to hear the Attak (loudest option) in person to officially say which I like better. What I can tell you is that in person, the S-Type is not as loud as in the Borla videos. If you want to understand what I mean, just listen to what the stock exhaust sounds like in their videos (they do a nice job of playing stock, than touring, than s-type, than attak so you can compare). The stock exhaust in their videos sound much louder that they do in person (IMO), and so it follows that the S-type isn’t quite as loud in person as in the video. That said, pretty happy with the sound. Only issue is the black paint started flaking off the day I had it installed. Borla said that they must not have wiped it down properly before painting it, so they are (hopefully) sending me a replacement. Still, a cosmetic issue only (that will be remedied).

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
watching this one for sure.

I was looking at the flowmaster exhaust and intake as well but I'd prefer something different I think.

I've been thinking about the MangaFlow exhaust. I wish there was something reliable out there showing them side by side, same mic set ups and what not. .
I have the MagnaFlow axle back dual outlet on my current V6 and love the sound.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
My DYNOMAX IS POLISHED STAINLESS, which will outlast your jeep ownership--

Course--you can't really see it without getting under the JL--COOL

W.E.

JIMBO

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
I like to do things differently than most...and I like chambered exhausts like Flowmaster but wanted to do something different. I have a Spintech 9000 Pro Street muffler dumped in front of the rear axle and I love how it sounds. It might be a bit louder than what you want on startup but it sounds about as good as a V6 can sound with no drone unlike a Flowmaster (unless you are purposely trying). Cannot recommend it enough and a lot of people have complimented me on it so there you go.

Cheers
Sponsored