Sponsored

Going With The 2dr Sport S Instead Of Rubicon

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
After much consideration, I have concluded that while the JL Rubicon is a truly amazing capable vehicle, but way more than what I need and will likely ever use for which it’s intended.

Only thing I see changing is going with the same wheel size, but aftermarket wheels. Any thoughts on what would look best on this combination?

9DA4903F-09EF-4267-B469-C157EEBF4B1D.jpeg

A2104676-981A-46E8-B608-BB7E67D86C58.jpeg

E07E003C-F2A4-49F9-B191-83F6856AB51C.jpeg

98ACD0B5-09DB-45B3-AFD2-93CCC9E33218.jpeg
Sponsored

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I'm in a similar boat as you. I love the Rubicon but can't quite justify paying the extra money knowing I won't use the added off-road components. Plus, I prefer the silver/gray interior of the Sport to the red Rubicon interior. What's most important to me aesthetically are wheels and tires -- not too big, not too small. That's something I should be able to do without having to get a Rubicon. I'll be honest, I think my preferred tire size might be slightly smaller than the Rubicon tires but slightly larger than the Sport S ones. But I really need to just wait and see a 2-door Sport S with optional tires/rims (the granite wheels) in person before I decide what I like. I may be perfectly fine with how they look, or maybe I won't... ;)

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BTW, how were you able to get the Jeep.com configurator to add the all-terrain tires but keep the stock silver wheels? I couldn't figure out how to do that.

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BTW, how were you able to get the Jeep.com configurator to add the all-terrain tires but keep the stock silver wheels? I couldn't figure out how to do that.
Never mind, I just figured out how to do it (by upgrading the axles).

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Sport vs Rubicon is a tough choice. I was stuck on the Sport S for a while. I would add the technology group to the Sport S which is standard on the Rubicon and that with the tires it got me leaning heavily Rubicon. Then with the Rubicon I would get:

-power dome hood
-rock rails
-stock lift
-Mopar fuel door
-33" AT's (this would have cost me $1000-1500 alone)
-bigger brakes
-D44 front and rear
-Lockers
-4.10 gears
-premium cloth seats
-7'' dash and 7'' radio standard
-higher fender flares (better looking IMO)

To me it justified the 3k difference (accounting 1k for not getting technology group and 1k for new 33" tires)

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Yes, I’m in the same boat. :like::like::like:

I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I'm in a similar boat as you. I love the Rubicon but can't quite justify paying the extra money knowing I won't use the added off-road components. Plus, I prefer the silver/gray interior of the Sport to the red Rubicon interior. What's most important to me aesthetically are wheels and tires -- not too big, not too small. That's something I should be able to do without having to get a Rubicon. I'll be honest, I think my preferred tire size might be slightly smaller than the Rubicon tires but slightly larger than the Sport S ones. But I really need to just wait and see a 2-door Sport S with optional tires/rims (the granite wheels) in person before I decide what I like. I may be perfectly fine with how they look, or maybe I won't... ;)

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a huge fan of that Ocean Blue. I'm likely going to get that but I'm not sure how I would like the red dash with it. The Sport S silver dash looks much better in my opinion.

Bradley

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Explorer
Both colors are really nice! Are you planning on keeping the wheels silver or making them black? If you go black then I personally think the granite crystal with the black top, black wheels and black fenders is very sharp! Also, for what it's worth, Im pretty sure white, black, silver (and granite) have the best resale value.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Here is a good comparison two other people had posted previously.

23B56BC8-38D7-414D-8811-85213B5FB03B.png

97FD6F4B-8276-4632-B5D5-3571121C73B7.png

0A60A0A8-90CA-40A6-82A7-CD9C22924B51.png

Sport vs Rubicon is a tough choice. I was stuck on the Sport S for a while. I would add the technology group to the Sport S which is standard on the Rubicon and that with the tires it got me leaning heavily Rubicon. Then with the Rubicon I would get:

-power dome hood
-rock rails
-stock lift
-Mopar fuel door
-33" AT's (this would have cost me $1000-1500 alone)
-bigger brakes
-D44 front and rear
-Lockers
-4.10 gears
-premium cloth seats
-7'' dash and 7'' radio standard
-higher fender flares (better looking IMO)

To me it justified the 3k difference (accounting 1k for not getting technology group and 1k for new 33" tires)

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm a huge fan of that Ocean Blue. I'm likely going to get that but I'm not sure how I would like the red dash with it. The Sport S silver dash looks much better in my opinion.
I'm with you. Blue has always been my favorite color, and it's pretty clearly my favorite color of those available. That said, I think granite and red look good too. I also like the Billet Silver, but I've had so many silver cars recently that I'm sort of burned out on it. Plus, I see at least five Billet Silver Jeeps every day where I live, and not nearly as many blue Jeeps.

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Leaning towards silver, maybe it’s just me, but never really been a fan of black wheels...might be something I grow into.

Unless you have huge wheels, 35s or above, would think black wheels would look a bit odd.

Both colors are really nice! Are you planning on keeping the wheels silver or making them black? If you go black then I personally think the granite crystal with the black top, black wheels and black fenders is very sharp! Also, for what it's worth, Im pretty sure white, black, silver (and granite) have the best resale value.

Bradley

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Explorer
Leaning towards silver, maybe it’s just me, but never really been a fan of black wheels...might be something I grow into.

Unless you have huge wheels, 35s or above, would think black wheels would look a bit odd.
IMG_4384.JPG

This was my Rubicon out in AZ with stock wheels/tires. I changed the wheels to black and had tons of compliments. To each their own though! You do you! Either way.. you're getting a JL which is awesome!
Sponsored