Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread so far. I just experienced true death wobble 4 times yesterday after hitting pot holes or expansion joints at freeway speeds resulting in violent steering wheel shimmy and the entire vehicle shaking until I was able to slow down to under 50 mph. I haven't had a single bit of steering play or shakes before this.
When I was looking underneath yesterday after it first happened, everything looked good. My daughter started turning the steering wheel back and forth while I visually inspected track bar, tie rod, ball joints, and everything looked fine. This morning after reading this thread, my stabilizer with a date code of XO17M1 (well under the 2xx date code) now has damage to the protective sleeve from some sort of impact. I don't remember seeing that yesterday (not saying it wasn't there) and it looks fresh from the picture.
I can only imagine I'll get push back from the dealer due to damage and modifications. I'll update after I get into the dealer and see what they say. I'll make sure to bring up the mentioned case number about the stabilizer build dates, and insist on a full steering inspection. Luckily the first spot this happened is actually on the dealer's normal test drive route.
Info about my Jeep: Sport bought new off the lot in March, 15k miles now, spacer lift with stock arms and track bar installed 12k miles ago, stock wheels, stock 245/75/17 tires at 37 psi, and aftermarket bumper with lower plastic air dam removed.

20181111_084638.jpg

20181111_084821.jpg
Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread so far. I just experienced true death wobble 4 times yesterday after hitting pot holes or expansion joints at freeway speeds resulting in violent steering wheel shimmy and the entire vehicle shaking until I was able to slow down to under 50 mph. I haven't had a single bit of steering play or shakes before this.
When I was looking underneath yesterday after it first happened, everything looked good. My daughter started turning the steering wheel back and forth while I visually inspected track bar, tie rod, ball joints, and everything looked fine. This morning after reading this thread, my stabilizer with a date code of XO17M1 (well under the 2xx date code) now has damage to the protective sleeve from some sort of impact. I don't remember seeing that yesterday (not saying it wasn't there) and it looks fresh from the picture.
I can only imagine I'll get push back from the dealer due to damage and modifications. I'll update after I get into the dealer and see what they say. I'll make sure to bring up the mentioned case number about the stabilizer build dates, and insist on a full steering inspection. Luckily the first spot this happened is actually on the dealer's normal test drive route.
Info about my Jeep: Sport bought new off the lot in March, 15k miles now, spacer lift with stock arms and track bar installed 12k miles ago, stock wheels, stock 245/75/17 tires at 37 psi, and aftermarket bumper with lower plastic air dam removed.

20181111_084638.jpg

20181111_084821.jpg
If the dealer refuses warranty, then it could be the perfect opportunity to get an aftermarket steering stabilizer vs paying for another OEM version. Several people on this forum say the steering is way better with Fox, RC, etc. steering stabilizers than the OEM version anyway.

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If the dealer refuses warranty, then it could be the perfect opportunity to get an aftermarket steering stabilizer vs paying for another OEM version. Several people on this forum say the steering is way better with Fox, RC, etc. steering stabilizers than the OEM version anyway.
That's my plan if they refuse. Was hoping to get by until spring to do an actual lift and replace everything under there, but this might force action sooner.

NachoJLUGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
So, I have a 2018 Jeep JLU Sahara with 11XXX KM's on it, everything has been perfect, no recalls etc but for some reason when I hit a bump my steering wheel like shakes? It kinda feels like my tires went flat and have no air in it.

I'm new to anything really vehicle related so I was wondering if anyone may know the cause?

Edit: This only happens at highway speeds, and is bone stock.
I had the exact same problem- it was the steering dampener. Part was on back order until Jan 2019 so they ended up getting me an aftermarket part. Just got vehicle back and seems to work fine now.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I had the exact same problem- it was the steering dampener. Part was on back order until Jan 2019 so they ended up getting me an aftermarket part. Just got vehicle back and seems to work fine now.
Which aftermarket steering stabilizer / model did you get? And how does it drive before the problem started compared to now?

Sponsored

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Well I brought my vehicle to the dealership after experiencing this wobble multiple times (the dealership was able to replicate it as well). They are saying the suspension is fine and that it is likely due to it being lifted while still having narrower tires... I have the factory Sport Bridgestone tires along with the Mopar 2" lift which I had installed at a Jeep Dealer... I'm seeing that multiple members on this thread have experienced this issue without a lift so I'm not convinced this is the issue...I've also driven the vehicle for thousands of miles without suspension issues as well which tells me something has changed. The dealership I went to said they had 2 different technicians inspect the suspension however and could not find anything wrong. How much impact would tires have on this issue? I rotate my tires often and make sure to inflate them per spec. The dealer advised they saw cupping of the tires but the wear I observed appears very minimal (I do 5 tire rotations as well).

I checked my steering dampener and found that the number was in the 300s... I got my Jeep in early February but it seems that many members have later build dates but lower numbered stabilizers so I'm not sure how that works.?.?

I'm gonna rotate the tires just for the heck of it to see if it has any impact on the issue once the weather allows. In the meantime if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'm all ears... I'm just really bummed I'm having this issue.

Thanks all!

zamboniman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Not that it helps anyone's steering issues, but maybe a little humor will help. Google Death Wobble and check out the memes

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Well I brought my vehicle to the dealership after experiencing this wobble multiple times (the dealership was able to replicate it as well). They are saying the suspension is fine and that it is likely due to it being lifted while still having narrower tires... I have the factory Sport Bridgestone tires along with the Mopar 2" lift which I had installed at a Jeep Dealer... I'm seeing that multiple members on this thread have experienced this issue without a lift so I'm not convinced this is the issue...I've also driven the vehicle for thousands of miles without suspension issues as well which tells me something has changed. The dealership I went to said they had 2 different technicians inspect the suspension however and could not find anything wrong. How much impact would tires have on this issue? I rotate my tires often and make sure to inflate them per spec. The dealer advised they saw cupping of the tires but the wear I observed appears very minimal (I do 5 tire rotations as well).

I checked my steering dampener and found that the number was in the 300s... I got my Jeep in early February but it seems that many members have later build dates but lower numbered stabilizers so I'm not sure how that works.?.?

I'm gonna rotate the tires just for the heck of it to see if it has any impact on the issue once the weather allows. In the meantime if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'm all ears... I'm just really bummed I'm having this issue.

Thanks all!
This thread might help out - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...teer-steering-issues-drifting-resolved.17478/

baggio16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon
I had my appointment at my local dealer on Friday. I tried to hit every drainage grate dip on the highway on my way home (well after rush hour). NO WOBBLE so far. The steering stabilizer was replaced in about 1 hr. I feel much safer on the road, and I appreciate everything @JeepCares has done to help expedite my request. @JeepCares really cares.
I had the same experience after replacing mine. It was nice being able to drive over 55 and feel safe. Ha.

My dealer told me March 2019 for the stabilizer, but Jeep was able to to get it to me last week. I really appreciated the help I've received from Jeep corporate vs the actual dealer.

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
On my 12 JKU years ago I wanted the tires that came on the Sahara's They last much longer than the Goodyears. Anyways I found some 17's and got them mounted balanced yada yada yada. Those tires were so so sensitive to any slight decrease in tire pressure and man you felt it when you hit a bump. Not wobble but you just felt it. Granted beefed up tires than the goodyears any day.

Fast Forward to my Sahara JL. While my steering stabilizer is on order, bringing my tire pressure from 31 back to 35 36 made a huge difference. Just an FYI.

10603671_10206101941852677_1505459477383454807_n.jpg

11023335_10206101941492668_6929862088465122331_n.jpg

11075005_10206101940972655_3625842743574641821_n.jpg

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I finally captured it on video.
I think in one of your past posts you said your OEM steering stabilizer wasn't in the problem range, right? Either way, it still could be a failed steering stabilizer (vs in the bad batch). A replacement steering stabilizer (OEM or aftermarket) has fix several other who mentioned the steering wheel wobble problem (non-lifted and lifted). But first, have they manually (not visually) checked the fasteners in the steering and suspension? Meaning the ball joint nuts, shock bolts, steering stabilizer bolts, track bar bolts, etc. for the proper torque? If you turn your steering wheel all the way over, you can visually see the ball joint nuts. Check the cotter pins. If they are bent perfectly as installed by a factory robot, then they haven't checked the torque on the ball joint nuts. If they have, they will look manually bent by hand.

hammerheadnc

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 3.6L (Punky), 2016 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Big Red)
So the wife and I went on a trip to the mountains in Punky this past weekend and experienced the wobble several times. Always greater than 70mph and going over bridges and overpasses when it happened. My date code is later and the suspension feels tight. After reading about the deflection of the stock track bar I am considering metalcloak track bars front and rear and their stailizer with relocating bracket. Anyone have experience with their track bars and stabilizers?

45109455364_de6d51ae78_z.jpg

45109569364_2e358fe1d7_z.jpg