Aftermarket Fenders

MojitoWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Z28 R/S
Occupation
Stock Trader
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]Here is the JL Wrangler Genright aluminum fenders, body armor, and bumpers.
E6499EE2-1314-4C18-9B8E-B1FCB5D1BAA2.png

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
They are functional. If you look at them with a thermal scope, they are venting heat. They would probably vent more without the insulation but they do pass more heat than the rest of the hood.
Those Holes in the vents are only for water to drain and the PLASTIC fake vents are not heat sinks (if anything they prevent heat from escaping), the metal hood is the best heat sink. There is NO AIR passing through to the engine compartment the Foil blanket prevents that even if those were real vents. it is all a facade...

Bravo

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0, 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega CTD, 2019 Roadglide Special, 2015 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 2019 Skidoo Summit X 165, and 2018 Skidoo Summit X 154
Check out Metalcloak

BayWatch

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0T
@lightsout

Actually, the Rubi, hood vents are functional! Indeed, that don't allow much air movement, but they are functional.

hood.JPG
Do you drive it like that or did you just the insulation off for show? Any heat or performance issues? Sitting in the sun all day? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@lightsout

Actually, the Rubi, hood vents are functional! Indeed, that don't allow much air movement, but they are functional.

hood.JPG
Is there a mod to increase the air movement via the hood vents? Or could that have the side effect of too much water coming into the engine compartment?

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Those Holes in the vents are only for water to drain and the PLASTIC fake vents are not heat sinks (if anything they prevent heat from escaping), the metal hood is the best heat sink. There is NO AIR passing through to the engine compartment the Foil blanket prevents that even if those were real vents. it is all a facade...

I can tell you that if you look at the hood with a FLIR there is heated air emitting from the vents. Obviously it's not as efficient as it should be, but there is heat radiating out the vents.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I can tell you that if you look at the hood with a FLIR there is heated air emitting from the vents. Obviously it's not as efficient as it should be, but there is heat radiating out the vents.

All Due respect that is not the case. Look, 1st there is a Foil insulated blanket that covers the underneath of the hood, Then any heat that gets by that has only 2 ways out 1. thru the Metal hood and 2. thru the PLASTIC (CLOSED) vents that only have a small hole in them to drain water. With that said metal is a heatsink whereas plastic is an insulator. So if anything the Rubicon hood is less efficient than the Sport hoods, granted it is likely only marginal... These are basic thermal management principals

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Aren't the vents(hood and side) for air movement?

...to keep the hood from rattling at high speeds like JK did?

Hood vents could be just an added area for air to escape(?) Maybe all it needs is that tiny hole...kinda like a can of pineapple juice, must puncture 2 holes in top for air movement to allow juice to flow.

I'm not the engineer who designed them so I have no idea..just saying.

May be just for looks

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
Regarding the hood vents: Think of a straw you use to drink a soda or other refreshing beverage. Is it very big wide? No, but a vacuum is created when you suck which pulls the liquid up. At speed, with air being forced into the grill and cooler air rushing over the hood, that hot air wicks out, helping to cool it.

Another way to think of this is a tea kettle, or a relatively hot space vs. the small release valve/whistle. Water boils/turns to vapor at 212 degrees F. Put your hand in front of a tea kettle valve when that steam is releasing and tell me that little tiny hole isn’t doing its job after you utter an expletive. The engine compartment doesn’t likely get that hot but it’s because of the ventilation. The holes in the vents at the top of the hood, where the hottest air will travel, are small but significant enough to allow for airflow to try and get to equilibrium with the outside air.

That shield isn’t airtight by the way.

Sponsored

PowerGuy

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS StingGray
I really like Collins Brothers Jeeps fenders(Black Mountain).. not sure if they are available to the public yet.
2018-jl-on-40s-56__02145.1536695731.jpg
2018-jl-on-40s-41__87257.1536695731.jpg
2018-jl-on-40s-20__14023.1536695731.jpg
2018-jl-on-40s-2__57635.1536695731.jpg
2018-jl-on-40s-21__04972.1536695731.jpg
2018-jl-on-40s-9__26592.1536695731.jpg
I hope they release these.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
My ace tube fenders damaged my tub when i slid into a tree on a tight obstacle. Where they mount pushed into the tub. I liked them until that point. They are strong and they didnt bend but they transferred all the force to the body which buckled.

If i got tube fenders again I'd get something that was narrow like nemisis or I'd cut the stock flares.

Pic for reference
20141020_175300_zpszxfl4igh.jpg
Sorry to hear about that. I had the same thing happen to me on my first JK with a set of bushwacker PLASTIC flares. I slid into a dirt wall with them in the rear and it only put a tiny nick in the plastic, but due to how they mount to the sheet metal it pushed my rear 1/4 panel in a good 1-2" :headbang:

I have since vowed to never offroad with fenders wider than my wheels.
Sponsored