First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
With the JL having so many steering issues it is difficult to sort it all out so I describe what I am experiencing, which may be a little different.

Three days ago I got into tight city traffic after about an hour of freeway and steadily moving city traffic. I was near my destination and as I was about to make a tight right-hand turn, my JLU Sahara lost its power steering. I was able to steer slowly by using both arms to aggressively tug on the steering wheel. Over the next three blocks and three additional right-hand turns, the power steering came back on and was lost again four or five times. A red warning message stating the power steering required servicing was displayed on the dash display. The warning went away each time when the steering started to work again. Thanks to some strong arm muscles, we reached our destination and parked for the night.

For the next two days and about 75 miles, the steering has worked fine again.

Is this a known problem and if so, is there a fix yet?
I'll have to take it into a dealer as soon as possible but the dealer where it was purchased said they could not even look at it for about a week.
Sponsored

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
With the JL having so many steering issues it is difficult to sort it all out so I describe what I am experiencing, which may be a little different.

Three days ago I got into tight city traffic after about an hour of freeway and steadily moving city traffic. I was near my destination and as I was about to make a tight right-hand turn, my JLU Sahara lost its power steering. I was able to steer slowly by using both arms to aggressively tug on the steering wheel. Over the next three blocks and three additional right-hand turns, the power steering came back on and was lost again four or five times. A red warning message stating the power steering required servicing was displayed on the dash display. The warning went away each time when the steering started to work again. Thanks to some strong arm muscles, we reached our destination and parked for the night.

For the next two days and about 75 miles, the steering has worked fine again.

Is this a known problem and if so, is there a fix yet?
I'll have to take it into a dealer as soon as possible but the dealer where it was purchased said they could not even look at it for about a week.
there's a recall for the steering (input shaft?) welds on the JL's. May want to check if yours is in that series of recalled vehicles.

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
there's a recall for the steering (input shaft?) welds on the JL's. May want to check if yours is in that series of recalled vehicles.
No, mine is not in the recall sequence for that one.

First Name
Donna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2007 Audi RS4, 2014 Audi SQ5, 2005.5 Audi A4 Avant
Occupation
realtor
There is a bulletin on the power steering issue. The solution is to replace the steering pump with a different part that has -AD as the last letters of the part number. The bulletin says to flash the computer to default settings first, which doesn't work and I don't know why they bother with that. Tell your dealer they need to give you a loaner until this is fixed if they can't take it in for a week as this is a serious safety issue. Do not drive it like this you are likely to have an accident. I contacted @JeepCares and asked them why this is not a recall, as everyone seems to experience this at low temps. They said that was not their purview to determine when recalls are made. My next move will be to call Jeep. This should be a recall.

For the good news, once my steering pump was replaced with one which ended in -AD, the problem disappeared.

Sponsored

Joe kenzo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jl
Mine dealer said nothing wrong , how did you get them to change it?

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
There is a bulletin on the power steering issue. The solution is to replace the steering pump with a different part that has -AD as the last letters of the part number. The bulletin says to flash the computer to default settings first, which doesn't work and I don't know why they bother with that. Tell your dealer they need to give you a loaner until this is fixed if they can't take it in for a week as this is a serious safety issue. Do not drive it like this you are likely to have an accident. I contacted @JeepCares and asked them why this is not a recall, as everyone seems to experience this at low temps. They said that was not their purview to determine when recalls are made. My next move will be to call Jeep. This should be a recall.

For the good news, once my steering pump was replaced with one which ended in -AD, the problem disappeared.
Do you or anyone else have the service bulletin number?

It seems customers have to prove these things to dealers or they just shrug it off.

First Name
Donna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
realtor
Do you or anyone else have the service bulletin number?

It seems customers have to prove these things to dealers or they just shrug it off.
Actually my dealer took it very seriously and fixed it immediately. It's FCA that is not taking it seriously enough. My service dept. was stellar and I highly recommend Ft. Collins Jeep in Colorado.

I'm looking up the bulletin number and will post when I find it.

First Name
Donna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
realtor
OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Here is link to a bulletin, but it does not include the last step my dealership did, the replacement of the steering pump.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...sist-steering-lockup-at-highway-speeds.12226/
I read through the Service Bulletin but the symptoms it describes are not the same as mine. The SB states a reduction in steering assist at highway speeds. In my case, I lost ALL steering assistance and each time it occurred it was ay very low speeds, under 15 mph, each time while making a right-hand turn.

First Name
Donna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
realtor
I read through the Service Bulletin but the symptoms it describes are not the same as mine. The SB states a reduction in steering assist at highway speeds. In my case, I lost ALL steering assistance and each time it occurred it was ay very low speeds, under 15 mph, each time while making a right-hand turn.
Mine was temperature related. Ambient outdoor temperature lower than 35 degrees. When does yours happen?

OP
OP
Ron_H

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mine was temperature related. Ambient outdoor temperature lower than 35 degrees. When does yours happen?
It has happened when the temperature was about 50 degrees.

First Name
Donna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
realtor
It has happened when the temperature was about 50 degrees.
There are a lot of threads about steering problems on the forum. Have you searched for all of them to see if you can find a similarity?

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
In my case, I lost ALL steering assistance and each time it occurred it was ay very low speeds, under 15 mph, each time while making a right-hand turn.
Hmmmm . 15 mph and temperature 50 degrees , right-hand turn . A connecting hose , perhaps ?
Sponsored