2200 mile round trip just completed on 37s

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
I'm also on 37's (Nitto Ridge Graps) and frequently drive interstates. With 37's (as you know) air pressure is crucial. Both my 17 JKU and my new JL rolled beautifully on 37's at a cold 29-30 psi.
At 32psi and above I experienced a little bump steer from time to time. I'm replacing my factory stabilizer this winter to alleviate any bump steer at higher pressures. Mostly because I'm going to Moab in early Spring, and want to stretch my gas mileage.
If I were on 35's or smaller... the stock stabilizer would be more than enough dampening. My wife's has had her stock one since 2010. She's running 35's.
Take a look at the MetalCloke steering stabilizer relation bracket and front diff cover. Moves the steering stabilizer up higher, since it's so low from factory.
Sponsored

Obone

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RUBICON
Occupation
physician
Buffalo Trace is great everyday stuff and can't beat the value; it's neck and neck for me with Knob Creek. Both are on constant sale around here at our mega-lo-mart of liquor Binny's for around $25 a fifth, which is a deal up here. My whiskey-geek friend and I keep talking about doing a bourbon trail tour "one of these days". Take the wives and have one of them do the driving once we're there. :)
You should have stopped off at J. O. B. in Springfield, MO one of the top 10 whiskey bars in the U. S. It’s an awesome place.

TxJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ Sahara, 2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Does the Nexus 2.2 for the JK work on the JL? I was not seeing one for the JL on the TeraFlex site.

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Does the Nexus 2.2 for the JK work on the JL? I was not seeing one for the JL on the TeraFlex site.
Northridge 4x4 has the Nexus for the JL . I Purchased the adjustable one from them and that thing is really great, so much better than the stock. They offer a discount also!

mizzoujake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2dr, 2015 Grand Cherokee Altitude
curious...what if you put the vehicle in manual shift mode on the highway and forced it to stay in 8th on those slow rollers? Would you eek out a tiny bit of extra mileage?

Sponsored

OP
OP
TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
Nope. The engine goes to WOT trying to maintain speed. Not great for MPG.

I bought all of my Falcon stuff from Marcus at rivercityoffroad.com He has a 10% forum discount.

-Eli

RubiJL18

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL 2019
There is really no reason to have it any larger than this to clear 37" KO2s. If you want a bigger Jeep, build a bigger Jeep! It may not ride and drive as nice as mine though. ;)

-Eli
Did you have to add wheel spacers with the 37's on stock wheels?

OP
OP
TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
Did you have to add wheel spacers with the 37's on stock wheels?
No. Not for a 12.50 wide. I do have wheel spacers coming now that I have lifted it higher.

-Eli

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
There is really no reason to have it any larger than this to clear 37" KO2s. If you want a bigger Jeep, build a bigger Jeep! It may not ride and drive as nice as mine though. ;)

-Eli
Change your mind? I see you recently installed the MetalCloak GC 3.5. What caused the change of heart? And this is also my fear getting the Daystar 2in. That being wishing I'd gone higher...

OP
OP
TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
Change your mind? I see you recently installed the MetalCloak GC 3.5. What caused the change of heart? And this is also my fear getting the Daystar 2in. That being wishing I'd gone higher...
I haven't changed my mind. I did the MC because I wanted to not because I needed to. The 2" Daystar kit fits 37s perfectly fine on a Rubicon and there is something to be said for keeping it simple and a low COG. The problem with going bigger is now I find myself looking at 40s.

The honest truth is that these JLs are perfect BONE STOCK for all but the hardest core wheelers. (which I am not)

-Eli

Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
I haven't changed my mind. I did the MC because I wanted to not because I needed to. The 2" Daystar kit fits 37s perfectly fine on a Rubicon and there is something to be said for keeping it simple and a low COG. The problem with going bigger is now I find myself looking at 40s.

The honest truth is that these JLs are perfect BONE STOCK for all but the hardest core wheelers. (which I am not)

-Eli
Exactly my point. What brought on the change away from the Daystar? And you are right almost nobody NEEDS to go higher and neither do I. I was just wondering what was the psychological impetus in your own mind? No trying to be snarky at all, because I am seriously torn.

Likewise, I can't wait for your update on if you have any regrets going bigger. Will you miss the low CoG ride of the Daystar?.

Thanks again. Great thread!

Last edited:

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Buffalo Trace is great everyday stuff and can't beat the value; it's neck and neck for me with Knob Creek. Both are on constant sale around here at our mega-lo-mart of liquor Binny's for around $25 a fifth, which is a deal up here. My whiskey-geek friend and I keep talking about doing a bourbon trail tour "one of these days". Take the wives and have one of them do the driving once we're there. :)
Done the bourbon trail 3 times already over the years. Its getting longer all the time, you have to be comfortable starting your drink early, and even then its two solid days. :) They have added a "craft bourbon" trail too. I see you guys mention Buffalo Trace, funny thing is they are not even part of the trail, as the trail now requires distilleries to charge a small "Admittance fee". My recommendations for a trip is to do Buffalo Trace, fantastic tour. Then do both Jim Bean and Makers Mark to see the two sides of the spectrum. Maker's feels very under-priced after that tour. :)

Oh and for Bourbon, my current go to is Woodford Reserve, or Blantons (Difficult to actually find around me). Also anytime I pass through Kentucky, I stop at a liquor store (my go to is the one in Convington right across the river from Ohio) and get a few bottles of Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream. Can't buy that in Michigan, at least that I have seen.