Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
4 door , I'm sure I'll be wrong, you couldn't live with yourself if I was right Sean. LMAO
lol, well in all honesty its only 10 lbs and doesn't make much of a difference.

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
One way to remove the hard top by yourself is to remove the freedom panels. Then unscrew all the Torx fasteners, carefully remove wire and hose from the rear corner, and then raise the rear hatch window. Get in drivers seat and put on seat belt, start the vehicle, place it in drive and head out a fast as you possibly can and by the time you hit 50 MPH you will be enjoying the open air freedom of a Wrangler.
Well it’s getting a bit cold now but come spring time I think I’ll give it a try. This way I don’t have to bother my neighbor for help.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've been waiting patiently.
A quick google search mainly brought up links to all of our petty arguing here on JLWranglerforums... :rock:

I did happen across this video where a guy weighed his JKU hardtop and it came out to 97 Lbs, without the freedom panels.

Assuming the advertised 20% weight reduction for the JLU top is true, that makes it approximately 78 Lbs without the freedom panels.

Drop a few more lbs for the 2 door hard top.

Last edited:

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
IMO Hard tops should be on cars...not jeeps
Next one I build, I am getting Dual top, so I can sell the hard top and use that $2000+ on other things, basically get an almost free premium soft top and Cash.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Next one I build, I am getting Dual top, so I can sell the hard top and use that $2000+ on other things, basically get an almost free premium soft top and Cash.
Let me know who buys a hardtop for 2 grand so I can take advantage, I've got an old Yamaha I'll sell em for a mere $15,000.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I have two complete JKU hardtops. one has been hanging in my garage for over five years, and one setting in the corner at my shop and its been there for three years. They were removed and never reinstalled, so we ordered our JLUR with soft top only.
I listed those JKU tops with two different Jeep clubs and never got a offer and I believe the last listing price we asked was $750 bucks. So I hope you can get 2K for yours, I cant seem to give these away. In the spring I will be simply sending them to the landfill or seeing if some body shop or junk yard wants them.

Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I don't really miss growing up in the 80s and worrying that two Honda Civics crashing into each at 30mph would lead to both cars full people being killed or people flying through the windshields with any sort of front end collision. I had a guy in a huge 80s Blazer hit my 2006 Lexus at ~5mph and it completely destroyed his steel bumper/front end and my Lexus had a paint scratch because of the 5mph bumpers.

In the 70s twice the amount of people were dying per year than are dying in 2016 vehicular accidents (and how many more cars are on the road today?)

https://www.businessinsider.com/traffic-fatalities-historical-trend-us-2016-4
Yep...shame these generations will never know the joy of being "thrown clear" in a car accident. The safest thing is to be ejected away from danger.

No way to blame goverment for big tires, subwoofers and a hundred other things consumers wanted.

Carbeurators were simple, but damn lets not forget how fussy they could be like everything was better...

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I actually like having both tops. Hard top is nice for winter. The salt the shit out of the roads here and it’s hard on the soft top material. It’s a lot less work in the summer putting a soft top up and down.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I actually like having both tops. Hard top is nice for winter. The salt the shit out of the roads here and it’s hard on the soft top material. It’s a lot less work in the summer putting a soft top up and down.
Yea I was born and raised the first 18 years in North East Ohio. If I still lived up that way I would probably go the two top route, I can imagine the salt being a factor. We have had ours in extreme cold as in high range country and that was no issue but the salt would seem to be something else entirely. I hated that stuff being slung everywhere especially when it was sloppy slushy. Eats vehicles alive....

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Thanks for your feedback. I would suggest making the rear glass design more easily removable. Once the glass is removed, the top could be split in half ( just like the freedom panels) and each side can be removed by one person and stored within each other. This way the weight if each half is less than 50 pounds and half the size to carry, and much easier for one person to handle
Take an engineering course and then come back and tell us how viable your “solution” is.

Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moto Guzzi, Ducati, BMW, Lincoln, Land Rover
Yep...shame these generations will never know the joy of being "thrown clear" in a car accident. The safest thing is to be ejected away from danger.
I'm pretty sure that you're not being serious, but just in case there are others nodding their heads in agreement, here's the data
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3503426/#!po=45.8333

3F548D14-1130-477B-A6FC-6A0A65E2F9DC.jpeg
F35E588C-B5AE-4D39-8A2A-AD386DDA2F3D.png

The data are irrefutable. Further, and a little closer to my line of work, ejection at any speed automatically upgrades all motor vehicle collision patients to red trauma (most urgent) status.
Sponsored

Last edited: