Sponsored

Adding a Hardtop to my Saraha... What do I do for the Rear Wiper???

Salmanilla

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Ocean Blue
I am picking up a Hardtop for my JLU Sahara... There is no factory control on my Sahara for a Rear Wiper.. Is that something I can add? How is that done?

Sal
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I am picking up a Hardtop for my JLU Sahara... There is no factory control on my Sahara for a Rear Wiper.. Is that something I can add? How is that done?

Sal
I’m sure you will get some solid answers on this forum.

I imagine you would need to replace the column stalk lever. Hopefully everthing is prewired. You also have the rear defroster to add if you want it.

Do you have the aux switches from the factory? Wonder if you could wire up the rear wiper to one of the aux switched.

Maybe you can add an aftermarket switch. Wonder if someone sells a hardtop conversion wiring kit.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
It was explained to me if you purchased the soft top only the electrical and washer was not installed and complicated to add. I assume electrical can be added but I doubt the washer can

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

Sal
Russ, curious...does the windshield wiper controls on your rig provide functionality for a rear wiper to turn on and/or pump cleaning fluid even if you have no hardware to effect same given your soft top? I'm wondering if FCA made the control arm of the steering wheel generic for all rigs or not.

OP
OP

Salmanilla

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no control on the stalk for "rear wiper". I do have the "rear defroster" button.. my JLU has the cold weather option.

Russ

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Salmanilla

Well, the kit for the JK to do this runs around $160-$185. Then you have to pay for the install if you are not up to doing the install yourself.

To my knowledge, a similar kit for the JL is not yet available. Do check with Mopar parts to be sure.

Here is the kit for a JK:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/11190_0058.htm

I installed the kit on a 2008 JK and it was not that difficult...

joecitrix97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 YJ Sahara, '18 JLU Sahara

Sal
Be happy you bought a Jeep with a Soft Top originally and the connections for the rear washer are not included. I am in the exact opposite situation. I have a JLU with a Hard Top and looking to buy a Tan soft top for next summer. The connections for the rear washer are a real pain in the a$$. IMO, FCA could have done a better job with this part of the Jeep.

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S

Sal
Where did you source your hardtop? I'm in the same boat - will be shopping for a JLU hardtop soon, and will need a harness retrofit.

OP
OP

Salmanilla

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RichD, I have been looking at getting a Premium Top to replace my "Standard" top - finally decided to go to the Stealership and see what they had... I found I was able to get (with little negotiation) a Take-Off Hard Top for $1700.. OTD. I Shopped some other dealerships as well.. If you try over the phone they are not helpful, but if you walk with a fist full of $ they make it happen. I was surprised that they actually helped with the installation as well. So, now I have a standard Soft-top that is resting in the garage.. waiting for summer to return.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Be happy you bought a Jeep with a Soft Top originally and the connections for the rear washer are not included. I am in the exact opposite situation. I have a JLU with a Hard Top and looking to buy a Tan soft top for next summer. The connections for the rear washer are a real pain in the a$$. IMO, FCA could have done a better job with this part of the Jeep.
Yeah Joe. I'll go so far as to say that the windshield washer fluid and wiper/defroster cable holder's position is tantamount to a product defect. You can put the cables in the holder, just not the holder in the rig when running with the soft top.

Sponsored

BFLYER

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude
It was explained to me if you purchased the soft top only the electrical and washer was not installed and complicated to add. I assume electrical can be added but I doubt the washer can
That is what I understood as well. I waffled for the longest time regarding which top to order and ended up with the dual top option, mainly because it would then come with the defrost and washer. My first Wrangler so I just could not decide. The more I read about tops now it seems there may be a majority who prefer the soft top anyway. Still waiting for mine so I have no perspective yet as to which top I prefer.

the_weekender

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
RichD, I have been looking at getting a Premium Top to replace my "Standard" top - finally decided to go to the Stealership and see what they had... I found I was able to get (with little negotiation) a Take-Off Hard Top for $1700.. OTD. I Shopped some other dealerships as well.. If you try over the phone they are not helpful, but if you walk with a fist full of $ they make it happen. I was surprised that they actually helped with the installation as well. So, now I have a standard Soft-top that is resting in the garage.. waiting for summer to return.
Hi Salmanilla and all,

I need some help please

So I am currently buying a hardtop from the dealer for around $1500-$1600 I was told we are just going take it off one of they ones they are selling. (not getting it wired I will do that later). They just told me that they will need to give me a loner car. Their reasoning is, since I purchased my car with the soft top only it does not have the correct brackets on it for bolting down the hard top (in the driver and passenger area). Is anyone aware of this? I really don't want to leave my car at a dealer just top put on a hard top. (I didn't think it would be that difficult)

OP
OP

Salmanilla

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Weekender, I had a similar situation... If the dealer takes the Hard Top off of a Dual-top JLU, they often will leave (on the donor Jeep) a couple parts that are needed to go on to the New Jeep (yours). Fortunately, the dealer where I got my hardtop was kind enough to assist me with install... I had no idea that these parts were needed... right up to the point where they were going to show me how easy it is to put-on the Freedom Panels... that is when they realized that there was an issue... One of the techs appeared with another kit that had ALL the Bits and Bobs required... Had to remove the over-head panel (where the sun visors are) and add 2 plates... as well as lower the cover on the Sound Bar (2 more plates)... none of that was any issue at all - Jeep loves those panel clips! But there was more to it than the on-line videos suggest. Unless you already are set-up for Dual Tops.

The entire process took 30 minutes.

It helps to have a reliable dealership. The guys at Leith Cary Jeep were really good. (www.autoparkchryslerjeep.com). I went ahead and ordered the kit to add Wiper control and rear defogger/defroster parts.

I hope this helps. In hindsight, I should have taken pictures. Sorry.

Sal

bmrrwolfe

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2005 Grand Cherokee
I am in a somewhat similar position. My dealer found an almost exact match to the Sahara I wanted at another dealership,.Ended up it was a demo that the manager drove, but I guess he wanted a hardtop so they swapped it with one on the lot with all the brackets etc.
Other then getting a better deal that I wanted since it had 4k miles on it, it was stickered pre-price increase, plus incentives, and I got the benefit of the hardtop for free, plus a Mopar headliner was put in. When I asked about the controls for the rear defrost and wiper, they worked with the service department and ordered a hardtop wiring kit, which includes the harness, new stalk and rear nozzle lines. I asked about the price, and they covered the cost of the parts, but I do have to pay the labor for install, which they said they would charge me for 3 hours as its pretty extensive. Getting it done next Friday and can let you know how it goes!

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
So there are dealers selling dual top option tops separate from the vehicle? What do they do about the window sticker?

That doesn’t seem right

Brett
Sponsored