First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Just a little pet peeve of mine. Not pointing anyone out as I would have zero clue who complained about this. Rather it's a general observation that perplexes me. And that is wind noise. Whether it be soft top or hardtop "professional" reviews (you know the magazines) or interpretations of those that are on this very forum.

I cannot stand reading the opinion as a review of the Wrangler being loud. For one, it's a Jeep. It's basically a large brick traveling on 4 tires. Get over it. The new 2018 Wrangler is NOT loud. To me (I have a hardtop) it's the quietest Jeep I've EVER been in. I don't get it. Does anyone expect it to be as quiet as a vehicle that is really not designed from factory to go off road - the MAIN purpose of this Jeep. It's not designed to be a sleek street vehicle. It's just not.

Don't get me wrong - the Wrangler has come a LONG ways since the YJ. The YJ came a LONG way from the CJ's which came a LONG ways from the, etc. etc. all the way back to 1941. I've driven a variety of each (since CJ-5) and owned a TJ that I liked a lot but this JL is amazing in both refinement and "luxury" add on's. I feel the designers have done a painstakingly excellent job at retaining the best of the original looks and yet incorporated the refinement and a modernization of a vehicle. What other vehicles out there have done that without changing the overall look by much? Perhaps the Porsche 911 (albeit they rebadged it entirely). I cannot think of any others.

But that's not what this is about. It's that wind noise. If the journalists or anyone that perhaps dislikes their choice in vehicle selection due to wind noise, well, don't let the door hit you on your way out. That's just not what a Jeep is about. I hated my TJ after a while in town because it drove a bit rough to me but LOVED it off road. With my JL I get to experience that love in both settings. And any incapabilities off road can be made up for in the aftermarket. I like that about Jeep.

I'm done.

Disclaimers: this does NOT apply to anyone with any recall, TSB, or other factory issue. For those - I'd be royally pissed off as well (not at Jeep overall but rather that particular one they messed up building).
Sponsored

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
I didn’t expect my 2018 Jeep JLUR hard top to be very quiet, but was pleasantly surprised. It’s actually quieter than our previous 2014 Odyssey. Rides better over bumps than the 2018 Challenger R/T I’ve been driving.
What some people are calling wind noise could be misleading. There’s a difference between regular noise and a leak. I’ve noticed a slight leak in the drivers side windshield in my Jeep. It’s not bad enough to complain about but it’s definitely different than just wind noise. It only starts at about 40mph & up, it’s localized in one location, and gets worse if it’s windy outside. No other location in the Jeep makes that same noise. I have watched some videos of wind noise in other JL Wrangers that were very bad and loud. If mine was that bad I’d be complaining also!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I do find some reviews to have a snobbish point of view. Like how when the JKs went from the 3.8 to the 3.6 liter engines... A gain of 80 Hp and a 2 MPG boost in fuel economy, the Consumer Reports people still complained about "Sluggish acceleration and poor fuel economy" and even with the improvements of the JL they're still saying it....

One of the smoothest vehicles I've ever driven is the 2019 Ram Rebel, and I'm pretty sure some car snob is going to find some kind of first world problem with the 12 inch touch screen or ETorque or something of the matter because its not a Rolls Royce that feeds them with a pure silver spoon full of the finest caviar... :facepalm:

Getting off my soapbox now....

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I think you're missing the point. The reason people are upset is because the JL is louder and has more wind noise than the JK in the reviews I've seen and that is called regression, not progression. And when you are regressing despite advancing 11 years in engineering AND you're charging significantly more money for the vehicle, allowing more wind noise is unacceptable.

My hard top is OK until around 65 MPH or so. After that you may as well open the windows because that's what it sounds like.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of these people are first time wrangler owners coming from Nissan Altimas and Dodge Avengers. They get excited about how cool the JLs look and then after the honeymoon phase of Jeep ownership passes, many of these people realize this wasn't for them. It's like buying a mustang and then complaining that they haven't improved snow driving.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
There is clearly a hardtop issue re: wind noise, that only affects certain owners. That is a legitimate complaint, for any vehicle. Period.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
There is clearly a hardtop issue re: wind noise, that only affects certain owners. That is a legitimate complaint, for any vehicle. Period.
Yes, wind rushing in because the seals are faulty is a legitimate complaint, but just hearing the wind as it moves around the vehicle should be expected. The trick is determining what someone is actually hearing when they voice a complaint.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
I think this comes from most people not driving a jeep much. If you spend most of your time in a newer model car or truck the jeep will seem louder.

For instance ive had a wrangler since I was 15 until the last 2 years ive had a challenger. Im 36 so I've got lots of miles in jeeps yj,tj, jk etc. First thing I noticed test driving it was that it was louder than my car. I will say its quiet compared to my 15 jk even and it didn't bother me at all. But its kinda subjective to what you used to and what you consider loud.

I still ordered one because I loved it. I dont think it's loud at all but its def not as quiet as my car but I also dont expect it to be.

Sponsored

Guy N Cognito

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi 2.0t
I think you're missing the point. The reason people are upset is because the JL is louder and has more wind noise than the JK in the reviews I've seen and that is called regression, not progression. And when you are regressing despite advancing 11 years in engineering AND you're charging significantly more money for the vehicle, allowing more wind noise is unacceptable.

My hard top is OK until around 65 MPH or so. After that you may as well open the windows because that's what it sounds like.
And yet again, I have no idea what you are talking about.

I sold my JK to get a JL. Drove them back to back. The JK is louder.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hey Darrell:

I get where you're coming from and admit that some of it may be my bias: because I love my JL.

The thing of it is, at least as I see it, and alluded to if discussed in prior posts on this thread, is that the reviewer's job is to approach narrative from the mindset of someone not only interested in the Wrangler, but competing models (true: not much compares in the market right now, especially in the Wrangler (as opposed to a Range Rover or Mercedes G Class) price range as off road goes) like other SUVs, or even for those not considering off road, say, a Subaru Crosstrek (gasp) or the Kia model that's been the subject of other recent posts here (double gasp.)

And along those lines it's incumbent on a reviewer to point out the things a Wrangler may be lacking/has compared to those other vehicles, and vice versa.

If the competing model is relatively loud as cabin noise goes and only the Wrangler is highlighted in comparison as having these so called shortcomings, I agree, that's unfair.

A review in a Wrangler magazine though, that goes beyond comparing it to anything but its predecessors though might, I concur, not be right.

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
They should make everyone drive around with the top and doors off first, then put the top on later. It will be relatively quiet or they will be deaf and not notice.
Sponsored