old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
It is a junky piece of fiberglass/plastic that has the design charm of a tissue box.
Or , it is a utilitarian work of genius which keeps out most of the rain .
Sponsored

AlrightAlready

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR. Couple Ducs
HAHAHA, man... If you all think these hard tops suck, you should go whip around in a YJ or a TJ. JK hardtops were great after their first revision ( I had the first gen and no complaints.) JL freedom panels are way lighter, easier to remove, and easier to store. I'm thinking some of you should have bought a G-wagon instead.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
HAHAHA, man... If you all think these hard tops suck, you should go whip around in a YJ or a TJ. JK hardtops were great after their first revision ( I had the first gen and no complaints.) JL freedom panels are way lighter, easier to remove, and easier to store. I'm thinking some of you should have bought a G-wagon instead.
Yeah, no kidding. The JL is the first Wrangler I've owned, but I've been around Jeeps quite a while. Having helped people put their tops on, and take them off, of some of the older models, these things are great. Heck the JK top which was great by comparison to the prior versions, is a pain compared to the JL top. Maybe the next generation (in 9-ish years) will have a top that makes the JL top seem like a pain. Until then I'm glad to have the best hardtop Jeep has offered to date.

Seven-gill

First Name
Linh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Jeep JLUR, '15 Range Rover HSE, '05 Toyota 4Runner
That’s a myth. I installed it as is and it’s very well engineered. Those that have cut corners are the ones that have issues. About the only change I did was replacing the plastic end with a Topsy metal version. Made me feel better. But when it comes to the bolts, the placement and depth are fine. At worst you can go to Lowe’s and buy longer ones for a few bucks more.

(And I tested it with a kid rolling around on it. He approved).

E1228817-70BD-4648-8A0D-A838BFAC4333.jpeg
This is really hard to beat for the price! Mine Jeep is still on order so now I just wait and keep looking for the “best” option and so far I really like your setup...and your son is adorable!

Sponsored

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have and issue with my hard top on a 2 door. There’s these fiberglass covers that cover some type of metal support right behind the door that keep coming off. They rattle against the roll cage and it’s really annoying.

Last edited:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
As long as I park with the nose uphill, my hardtop rocks. Parking uphill prevents the waterfall from soaking the floorboards when you open the front doors in the rain. That's my only complaint and otherwise I love the hardtop.

I do, however, want a soft top for summer time.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I have and issue with my hard top on a 2 door. There’s these fiberglass covers that cover some type of metal support right behind the door that keep coming off. They rattle against the roll cage and it’s really annoying.
@Turbo_punkn
I sought out and found this rattle source on my 2 dr. a few months ago. I posted in a forum thread about it then.. The foam double sided tape pieces on each, that are supposed to keep the plastic cover in place, cannot do the job.

The fix is easy. Just press the bottom of each plastic cover in firmly and then run a line of Goop Flexible Epoxy (dries clear) along with edge of the plastic cover where it rests on the hardtop base. Let that dry for say 3-4 hours and your issue will be history. As I mentioned, the Goop dries clear.... IF you ever want to remove the Goop lets go if you apply heat from a hair dryer at hot setting to it.

20180618_153826.jpg

ag-ap-3_7floz-cardedtube-us-72dpi600x600.jpg

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
@Turbo_punkn
I sought out and found this rattle source on my 2 dr. a few months ago. I posted in a forum thread about it then.. The foam double sided tape pieces on each, that are supposed to keep the plastic cover in place, cannot do the job.

The fix is easy. Just press the bottom of each plastic cover in firmly and then run a line of Goop Flexible Epoxy (dries clear) along with edge of the plastic cover where it rests on the hardtop base. Let that dry for say 3-4 hours and your issue will be history. As I mentioned, the Goop dries clear.... IF you ever want to remove the Goop lets go if you apply heat from a hair dryer at hot setting to it.

20180618_153826.jpg

ag-ap-3_7floz-cardedtube-us-72dpi600x600.jpg
Good idea. That rattle was driving me crazy. Started on the passenger side. I pushed the piece back in and it’s been fine for a few days. This morning I hear it on the driver side, same thing. I’ll have to pick up some of this goop. Don’t see myself ever removing it. There’s nothing important behind there.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Turbo_punkn

Do both sides! Can tell you by experience, you can push the plastic piece in and it seems aok for days and then, it pops loose again..

Sponsored

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
As long as I park with the nose uphill, my hardtop rocks. Parking uphill prevents the waterfall from soaking the floorboards when you open the front doors in the rain. That's my only complaint and otherwise I love the hardtop.

I do, however, want a soft top for summer time.
Hate to tell you ,it does the same thing on the soft top.

Jaddie

First Name
Jaddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Odyssey
All this talk about the leaking tops is disheartening. I had an '87 Trans Am with T-tops which leaked and were a contact source of frustration.

I'd think that at US$57K Jeep could deliver a dry cabin.

I've never had a Jeep, but that's what I'd like to have next if I can get a dry one.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
All this talk about the leaking tops is disheartening. I had an '87 Trans Am with T-tops which leaked and were a contact source of frustration.

I'd think that at US$57K Jeep could deliver a dry cabin.

I've never had a Jeep, but that's what I'd like to have next if I can get a dry one.
Mine doesn't leak , I dont call it leaking. A little water when you open the door on the floorboard.stop fast getting out and it will empty the water out of the gutter. If you are going to pay 57k ,you're paying too much.

Jaddie

First Name
Jaddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Odyssey
Mine doesn't leak , I dont call it leaking. A little water when you open the door on the floorboard.stop fast getting out and it will empty the water out of the gutter.
So a Jeep sits outside in a downpour, the downpour stops, you dry off the top, and the cabin will remain dry?
Sponsored