Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

FCA US October 2018 Sales Rise 16 Percent
  • Ram brand delivers historic October sales
  • Jeep® Wrangler sets CYTD sales record
  • Chrysler Pacifica posts record October sales
  • Alfa Romeo sales rise 44 percent
November 1, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC today reported U.S. sales of 177,391 vehicles in October, a 16 percent increase compared with sales in October 2017 of 153,373 vehicles.

Sales were driven by the Jeep®, Ram, Chrysler, Dodge and Alfa Romeo brands, which all posted increases over the same period a year ago. Dodge led the group with a 38 percent increase in sales.

Retail sales in October totaled 141,200 vehicles. Fleet sales were 36,191 vehicles and accounted for 20 percent of total sales.

Jeep® Brand
Jeep brand sales rose 9 percent to 72,800 vehicles. Jeep Wrangler sales of 13,318 vehicles pushed the calendar-year-to-date totals to 204,269 vehicles. The results eclipse the 2015 CYTD record of 172,887 vehicles. Wrangler has now surpassed the full-year record of 202,266 vehicles set in 2015.

Ram Brand
Ram brand sales rose 14 percent to 54,542 vehicles, a historic high for October. It was also the eighth-straight month of record retail sales since the brand launched in 2009. Retail sales increased 12 percent to 42,138 vehicles. The Ram 1500 drove the performance as retail sales climbed 20 percent to 28,459 vehicles for a new October record.

Alfa Romeo Brand
Alfa Romeo brand sales rose 44 percent to 1,737 vehicles. Stelvio accounted for the majority of those sales with 902 vehicles sold.

Dodge Brand
Dodge brand sales jumped 38 percent to 33,872. The brand was driven by Challenger sales, which totaled 5,225 vehicles.

Chrysler Brand
Chrysler brand sales rose 21 percent to 13,289 vehicles as Pacifica sales increased 22 percent to 9,277 vehicles. The total set a new October record for Pacifica.

FIAT Brand
Sales of Fiat declined 35 percent to 1,151 vehicles.

Method of Determining FCA US LLC’s Monthly Sales. FCA US’s reported vehicle sales represent unit sales of vehicles to retail customers, deliveries of vehicles to fleet customers and to others such as FCA US’s employees and retirees as well as vehicles used for marketing. Most of these reported sales reflect retail sales made by dealers out of their own inventory of vehicles previously purchased by them from FCA US. Reported vehicle units sales do not correspond to FCA US’s reported revenues, which are based on FCA US’s sale and delivery of vehicles, and typically recognized upon shipment to the dealer or end customer.

Jeep-Wrangler-JL-October-2018-Sales-Figures-Stats.jpg
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
There you go. We're seeing what I told ya' would happen months ago. Now that JK inventory is history, Wrangler sales are on the decline.

A Wrangler at Cadillac pricing is like a Bud Light at Buffalo Trace pricing. People aren't going to go for that.

Just wait until the buzz surrounding the new model rubs off AND prices still go up anyway for 2019. Sales numbers are going to be dismal.

Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moto Guzzi, Ducati, BMW, Lincoln, Land Rover
There you go. We're seeing what I told ya' would happen months ago. Now that JK inventory is history, Wrangler sales are on the decline.

A Wrangler at Cadillac pricing is like a Bud Light at Buffalo Trace pricing. People aren't going to go for that.

Just wait until the buzz surrounding the new model rubs off AND prices still go up anyway for 2019. Sales numbers are going to be dismal.
If I had my druthers they'd stop making JL's altogether. It'd be like the 1995-97 Land Rover Defender: used prices would just keep going up and up. 150,000 miles, that'd be $85,000. But it was $40K new? Yeah, yeah it was.

But seriously, the monthly numbers are unchanged and the yearly numbers are better. If that's a reflection of remaining JK inventory, I would think that there's as many out there who were willing to buy a JK as there are waiting for the JL's teething issues to resolve. Just speculating though.

Sponsored

randyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck
+2% September vs 2017
-1% October vs 2017

Not exactly stellar numbers. Are we starting to see a trend?
Anyone know of Sept and October's sales numbers were constrained by supply or demand?

Wranglers are still niche vehicles and sooner or later the market is going to be saturated with people willing to pay a premium to get their hands on a JL and sales will probably settle down into past patterns.

If supply isn't the limiting factor, that's probably what we're seeing now.

Let's see FCA starts offering incentives and/or makes some of the current optional equipment standard. I imagine the profit margins are huge on these so they'll have some wiggle room.

And maybe there's still people waiting on the sidelines who don't want to be beta testers

Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moto Guzzi, Ducati, BMW, Lincoln, Land Rover
Yep, won't be long now, the new Wrangler will have rebates. LOL
Could someone explain to me how an increase in year-to-date sales of wranglers by 25% over last year and sales surpassing the total yearly sales of 2015 by November 1st is somehow indicative of a decline in sales? I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. If it’s that the numbers are muddied by JK sales, fine, but it’d be helpful if someone could provide some additional numbers to substantiate that claim.

randyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck
Could someone explain to me how an increase in year-to-date sales of wranglers by 25% over last year and sales surpassing the total yearly sales of 2015 by November 1st is somehow indicative of a decline in sales? I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. If it’s that the numbers are muddied by JK sales, fine, but it’d be helpful if someone could provide some additional numbers to substantiate that claim.
Look at Sept 2017 vs Sept 2018 sales. About flat.

15,714 vs 15,983 wranglers sold

Look at Oct 2017 vs Sept 2018 sales. Down a tiny bit.

13,391 vs 13,318 wranglers sold.

This is a pretty abrupt deceleration in sales from previous months. There could be any number of reasons.

Sponsored

grapejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Not to throw water on the FCA hate train here but car sales across nearly every brand is down 10% so being 73 off of last October isn't a sky is falling scenario. Predictions for car sales in general across the whole industry are dismal with interest rates going up and possible tarriffs. True, I wish mine was cheaper but the JL has made some big improvements over the JK and nothing is for free.

zamboniman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Like my local dealer who tried to sell me a Sting Gray Rubicon 2 months ago. Claimed it wouldn't last long and that other dealers were begging to trade it as everyone wanted that color. They wouldn't budge on pricing since (2 months ago) 2018 production had stopped and 2019 was gearing up so supply was extremely limited. Long story short I excused myself right out the door and told him to call me when he comes to his senses. Same dealer that does a lot of volume and was very aggressive on my Grand Cherokee pricing. Anyway, that Rubi that wouldn't last long is still on the lot along with the other 4 or 5 Rubis that were parked next to it 2 months ago. Sooner or later they will figure it out. When the buzz is over, and hopefully some of the early bugs are resolved, I'll revisit them and see where they stand.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So....

For those of us who are leasing, this makes our deals look very interesting. On one hand, since Wrangler sales numbers are going to start declining that means fewer new Wranglers will be on the road which one would think will keep our resale values high. On the other hand, as FCA (stupidly) continues to drive Wrangler prices up alienating a lot of buyers, they may start to realize that heavy rebates and incentives are required to clear inventory which will decrease resale value of used models.

It's going to be very interesting to see how this dynamic plays out in the real world over the next 36 months. We may end up hitting the jackpot or we may get screwed.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
+2% September vs 2017
-1% October vs 2017

Not exactly stellar numbers. Are we starting to see a trend?
FCA cant be doing too bad, sales up 16% and on allpar, the figure was 80% retail not tons of Fleeet other manufactueres dump their turds so as to keep the plant running but make no money on the fleet untis which then drags down residuals and resale value.

What are the others going to do when the new JT kicks in, also as they ramp up the new Ram, and start rolling out all the other stuff coming in the next two years, good to see them steeling market share because they have the guts to build stuff people want versus appliance cars no one cares about anymore, good to see!

• Jeep rose 9% to 72,800
  • Ram rose 14% to 54,542, its best October, on the back of a 20% gain in Ram 1500 sales
  • Dodge rose 38% to 33,872
  • Chrysler rose 21% to 13,289, with a Pacifica record
  • Alfa Romeo climbed 44% to 1,737, more than half of which were Stelvios

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
The sales are down becasue capacity is now down, they have 1 plant making them, not two, think with your dipstick Jimmy! Capacity matters.

Once they get the 2nd line running the JT trucks they can switch back and forth, plus they will start pumping Wranglers out to other markets.

Oh, good to see Jeep and Pacifica outsold all Toyota

Jeep+ Pacifca outsold Toyota van-cuv-suv
82,077 vs 72,114.
Sponsored