Sponsored

What other vehicles are you cross shopping? $5-6k increase causing second thoughts on JLU

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm right there too. Zr2 diesel has everything I want at 47-50K loaded. Nissan Titan XD PRO 4X loaded with every factory option, including the Cummins and Asin, and a bumper to bumper 5 year 100K warrentee for 47K. The JL Rubicon loaded with diesel is gonna be 60K as I live and breathe.
There are some awesome deals on ZR2s you can find via www.cargurus.com. Not 5% below invoice awesome (I haven't researched that). Definitely drive the diesel and the v6. I think, unless they add that new 8speed to the diesel next year I would personally skip the diesel and go with the v6+8speed. If you plan on keeping it stock the diesel was honestly not fun at all to drive around town. It's incredible on the highway, though.
Sponsored

72commando

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Jeep Commando, '18 JLU sport s
I am a bit confused about this $5-6k increase everyone is talking about. I have been shopping a JKU for the last 6 months hoping the price might come down. I finally decided to order a JLU once pricing was released as it ended up only about $2300 more and i was able to get the exact specs and color i wanted which i couldnt find in a JKU. The upgrades from the JK to JL justify the 2300$ without much debate IMHO. Where are you guys getting the extra $2700 dollar up charge?

and to add to this convo our other car is a fully loaded 2017 Subaru Forester XT. It came in roughly 4k less than the JLU will cost me. It's a great, quick (being the turbo 2.0 DIT forester), and capable car but it nothing like the Jeeps in driving experience.

pmcgeejr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon Unlimited Eco-Diesel (ready to order...)
Occupation
Network Engineer
Hello guys. First post here.

I was wondering what vehicle or vehicles you were cross shopping against the JL. I was 90% set on buying a JL later this year but now with all the details set, I'm definitely having second thoughts after running the numbers.

My calculation for a nearly $6,000 price increase between a similarly spec'd JKU Sahara and JLU Sahara is due to the specific Wrangler that I want. I'm not claiming it is this big of an increase for everyone but for me personally it will be. I take it that many potential customers will be in a similar boat. Also, I don't want this thread to be about whether or not it is worth the extra money as you can make a strong case for both sides. Here is the breakdown.

Standard LED's vs LED Package = $900 Increase
$1400 Auto vs $2000 Auto = $600 increase
$500 LSD vs $1500 LSD = $1000 increase (this is due to being forced to opt for the optional wheels for the JLU that I would have otherwise passed on)
$1000 Hardtop vs $1100 Hardtop = $100 increase
$35340 vs $38540 = $3200 increase

As you can see if you choose a certain set of nearly identical options, the price increase ends up being $5800 more than a comparable JKU. If you account for the side airbags, it is still a $5300 increase.

The options listed above plus select trac/tow package and I'm looking at nearly $50k out the door. This price point opens the door to an enormous number of other options.

I'm cross shopping the JLU with significantly more comfortable/fun daily drivers around the $35-40k range and building my 01 XJ Cherokee/switching it out for a TJ. That would give me a fairly capable off road toy and a very large pool of potential vehicles to choose from. Anyone else considering the 2 car route?

Is a well optioned JLU worth 50 Grand? In my opinion, definitely yes. Will a JLU be more enjoyable than daily driving a new Mustang GT, Challenger Scat Pack or even something like an Audi A4 AND having a (shitty) weekend 4x4 toy for a similar amount? Very hard to answer that one.

Sorry for the long and rambling first post. Just wanted to share my thoughts and see if anyone else was going through this exact scenario. Thanks!

*Note I am referring cost in this to based off pricing for a JLU Rubicon base or few added options

I say I'm not against your idea for wanting something different, hell I was on the same boat and still haven't ordered my JLU Rubicon yet because I plan to lease to own it which goes from a standard $700 or $800 a month financing to $400 - $500 a month leasing which you can buy out the lease after. If your mind is set on 100% different vehicle go for it. I say I was in your boat did research for a year or so when I heard rumors of JLU now its out money is always a factor. I say go back to your year ago ideas of why you want a new vehicle. For example me I'm moving to Florida, I want top down type vehicle and plan to be a the beach alot or riding around alot with it down. I like suvs or least sitting up higher, that alone leaves only SUV style vehicles (including Jeeps) yeah there are jeeps with panaromic roofs or the moon roof+ sun roof combo to allow the whole top to open up (some Jeep Grand Cherokee models has) but I go step further and I do want to some time actually travel to grand canyon and so forth in a vehicle that has no end of where I can go. Oh yeah since Florida had recent hurricanes, it has to with stand one and ride in water in worst scenario. Certain parts of Florida (excluding Miami) didn't get bad flooding but up to the half way mark of a tire only suv style vehicles can handle that typically. So I know I went in depth but kinda of think into that of why you want it. I plan to own one for 10-15 years (hence Jeeps new models come out almost roughly every 10 years anyways) so me paying longer on mines to ensure the monthly cost is lower im fine with someone else will say its ridiculous which is fine its their opinion. At the end look at why you want it and not doing it cause its what I seem to only afford. Of course with that said if you know you can't afford $400 or so a month on a vehicle on car payment cost alone then yeah don't get it but try to find a sweet spot then you'll see.

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
I'm looking for a vehicle which will serve many purposes. Overlanding, driving on unmaintained forestry access roads, some rock crawling, etc. but it'll also be my primary vehicle.

I looked at a Tacoma Doublecab offroad and a 4Runner Offroad, and I'm still considering them to this day.

They're both fine vehicles and although I'm leaning towards the 4Runner, I've always had a great fascination with the Wrangler and would like to give them a shot. The smaller size and increased fuel economy would make it a better daily driver too.

I'm thinking of buying in the spring so I'm looking forward to the personal reviews and impressions.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BBQCHICKENALERT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee, Mini Countryman S
Thanks for the response guys! Tons of great points in this thread.

Schmeegz - Thanks for the info. Thats great to know and bumps the price increase down from 5800 to 4900. Has anyone successfully ordered a Sahara with the upgraded rear axle/LSD without the optional wheel package?

I'm not 100% set on buying a different car. Right at 50/50 right now. Perhaps still slightly leaning JLU. I think pmcgeejr and a couple other members brought up a really great point on keeping the JLU for an extended period of time. If I go with anything other than the JLU, ill most likely not break my habit of switching a car almost annually (me and my wife on average have 3 vehicles at any given time so each one gets replaced every 3 years,etc).

In the long run, buying a loaded JLU would save me money if it was something I was happy with keeping for 10+ years. I can see this happening and not with any other vehicle. I'm waiting to see the specs/prices/option packages on the diesel before pulling the trigger. If I somehow end up spending close to $60k for a fully loaded diesel JLU though, it better last me until I'm dead lol.

72commando - Sorry if my first post was not clear. I didn't mean to imply that there is a 5-6k markup for all JLU's. It all depends on personal preference for options. The JLU is configured in a way where sometimes entire option packages are necessary to get one item on the list, thus driving up the total cost. There are other ways to configure it where the price increase is substantially smaller or nearly nonexistent.

An example of this is that i would love to add just heated seats for the wife but it comes packaged with the cold weather group. I would much rather pay $500 for a standalone heated seat option even though I realize an extra $400 for a heated steering wheel, remote start and engine block heater is a great financial deal. However, I don't need or even want any of the other items. An engine block heater for a Los Angeles vehicle is hilarious.

Also, I do believe the improvements should be worth the money in a hypothetical Wrangler only vacuum. If you compare JKU's with JLU's it's a no brainer. The added variable in all this is that once you account for the bump in the price of entry (for some of us), there are tons of other vehicle(s) available. If someone is waiting for 2.0 and Diesel prices, this point becomes even more valid.

You can now reasonably cross shop a loaded Sahara or Rubicon JLU with something like a base model Land Rover Discovery with the 3 liter Diesel motor. The LR will still perform well enough off road for 90% of the places Wrangler owners take their vehicles while providing incomparable levels of luxury. On the other hand, the JLU will be more reliable, have better resale value and offer open top driving. Choices! Definitely first world problems though.

CantThinkOfAHandle

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 RAV4, 2015 BMW Diesel Sports Wagon
If you do want something for off road, and don't want either a pickup or a massive SUV like a 4Runner, are there any alternatives? I'm certainly not going to buy a luxury SUV and plow through brush in it. Subarus completely bore me.

Although I'm aware this comment may invite scorn, the vehicle I am replacing is a '96 RAV4, and it was nearly perfect for my needs: same length as a 2-door Wrangler, full-time 4WD, A/B/D angles of 36/27/28, electronic differential lock, a real roof, a full back gate, fun to drive, comfortable on the highway and got me where I wanted to go. I didn't miss not having low range. With the rear seats out, I could sleep in the back, even if just barely. I wish the newer cute-utes had retained these capabilities.

. Maze District.jpg

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you do want something for off road, and don't want either a pickup or a massive SUV like a 4Runner, are there any alternatives? I'm certainly not going to buy a luxury SUV and plow through brush in it. Suburus completely bore me.
Cherokee or Renegade perhaps

Reactions: Moe

72commando

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Jeep Commando, '18 JLU sport s
72commando - Sorry if my first post was not clear. I didn't mean to imply that there is a 5-6k markup for all JLU's. It all depends on personal preference for options. The JLU is configured in a way where sometimes entire option packages are necessary to get one item on the list, thus driving up the total cost. There are other ways to configure it where the price increase is substantially smaller or nearly nonexistent.

An example of this is that i would love to add just heated seats for the wife but it comes packaged with the cold weather group. I would much rather pay $500 for a standalone heated seat option even though I realize an extra $400 for a heated steering wheel, remote start and engine block heater is a great financial deal. However, I don't need or even want any of the other items. An engine block heater for a Los Angeles vehicle is hilarious.

Also, I do believe the improvements should be worth the money in a hypothetical Wrangler only vacuum. If you compare JKU's with JLU's it's a no brainer. The added variable in all this is that once you account for the bump in the price of entry (for some of us), there are tons of other vehicle(s) available. If someone is waiting for 2.0 and Diesel prices, this point becomes even more valid.

You can now reasonably cross shop a loaded Sahara or Rubicon JLU with something like a base model Land Rover Discovery with the 3 liter Diesel motor. The LR will still perform well enough off road for 90% of the places Wrangler owners take their vehicles while providing incomparable levels of luxury. On the other hand, the JLU will be more reliable, have better resale value and offer open top driving. Choices! Definitely first world problems though.[/QUOTE]

That makes total sense and is really the reason i went with the sport s over the rubi. For my needs the Rubi included many many things i wouldn't use and it ended up pricing out at +7k more because of all the bundled unwanted bs. There is a lot of argument about what you are getting for that 7k and what not but it was simply a waste for me. I already have a old school v8 jeep with beefy axles, overbuilt suspension, transmission, and transfer case that if i wanted to jump from 33s to 37s i could do for way less and would feel less guilty about thrashing vs a brand new jeep. I wanted a daily driver that i can take the top and doors off of in nice weather and that I can run 33s on that is comfortable enough to drive to out of state trail events, hit moderately difficult trails with, then drive home with no trailer needed. A rubi is not needed for this and that 7k will buy me a nice roof rack, fresh recovery gear, roof top tent, bumpers, winch, and a handful of other items that results in a vehicle that can do everything i need for less cash. I will also likely own this forever so once the new shiny is gone and it leaves daily driver status i wont feel bad shoving some d60s and a regear under it either.

As far as other vehicles that are worth checking out. Check out the Forester XT. It is very nice for the price point (my fully loaded 17' came in at 33,800 before ttl), has a great 4 wheel drive system (lacks ground clearance which limits where you can go), is very safe, and is well appointed in features overall. Has good resale and dependability as well. A couple of small mods gets you into a nice dependable 300hp/300tq range. We test drove it against the grand cherokee, audi, bmw, volvo, and vw small suvs and ended up coming back to it and don't regret it all. We do many long trips and camping it and avg over 27mpg too.

Moe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Fit
Occupation
Retired X 2 = 23 years USAF + 23 years IT
Last edited:

Sponsored

Jeepvkk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza, Audi Q5
If you do want something for off road, and don't want either a pickup or a massive SUV like a 4Runner, are there any alternatives? I'm certainly not going to buy a luxury SUV and plow through brush in it. Subarus completely bore me.

. Maze District.jpg
As a former loyal 4Runner owner I think the answer is no. I don't know what Toyota was thinking but the 4Runner is a monstrosity now that it wasn't before. I much prefer the Wrangler now ( even putting the unique features of the wrangler aside which make it even more compelling ). As someone said, the cherokee variations are likely fine too. This video shows how good a G.C was offroad some years ago and while I don't know their technology now, it should be improved?

An aside note, I wonder if this also translates to how good the sport/Sahara could be with the LSD and bld by default - clearly the rubicon adds even more offroad traction.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Boils down to which dealership will offer options at FWP not MSRP as well as any incentives and getting the JLUR under invoice. Work all of the out with a very good financing % should do just fine for me.

I did look at the Ford Raptor but it is simply too big but the upcoming Ranger Raptor will be out before I am ready to purchase a JL so will have to look into that. The ZR2 is another option as well as the Toyota Taco TRD and lets not forget the Scrambler! All of which are less pricey (Ford Raptor/Scrambler aside) but nothing is like a Wrangler.

nel1551

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2017 Subaru Forester
Hello guys. First post here.

I was wondering what vehicle or vehicles you were cross shopping against the JL. I was 90% set on buying a JL later this year but now with all the details set, I'm definitely having second thoughts after running the numbers.

My calculation for a nearly $6,000 price increase between a similarly spec'd JKU Sahara and JLU Sahara is due to the specific Wrangler that I want. I'm not claiming it is this big of an increase for everyone but for me personally it will be. I take it that many potential customers will be in a similar boat. Also, I don't want this thread to be about whether or not it is worth the extra money as you can make a strong case for both sides. Here is the breakdown.

Standard LED's vs LED Package = $900 Increase
$1400 Auto vs $2000 Auto = $600 increase
$500 LSD vs $1500 LSD = $1000 increase (this is due to being forced to opt for the optional wheels for the JLU that I would have otherwise passed on)
$1000 Hardtop vs $1100 Hardtop = $100 increase
$35340 vs $38540 = $3200 increase

As you can see if you choose a certain set of nearly identical options, the price increase ends up being $5800 more than a comparable JKU. If you account for the side airbags, it is still a $5300 increase.

The options listed above plus select trac/tow package and I'm looking at nearly $50k out the door. This price point opens the door to an enormous number of other options.

I'm cross shopping the JLU with significantly more comfortable/fun daily drivers around the $35-40k range and building my 01 XJ Cherokee/switching it out for a TJ. That would give me a fairly capable off road toy and a very large pool of potential vehicles to choose from. Anyone else considering the 2 car route?

Is a well optioned JLU worth 50 Grand? In my opinion, definitely yes. Will a JLU be more enjoyable than daily driving a new Mustang GT, Challenger Scat Pack or even something like an Audi A4 AND having a (shitty) weekend 4x4 toy for a similar amount? Very hard to answer that one.

Sorry for the long and rambling first post. Just wanted to share my thoughts and see if anyone else was going through this exact scenario. Thanks!

The online build isn't always right. You can order the Sahara without the wheel upgrade and still get the lsd and selectrac. Here is my build. Around 51k and got it down to 44550.

IMG_7365.jpg

Cowboy JK

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 2dr JK Sahara
Out of curiosity, has anyone come across any insane JK “clearance” prices yet?
I saw a new 2017 Red Rubicon Recon with leather on ebay buy it now around $42k. CJD dealer this morning offering $6,000 discount on 2017 Wranglers. I'm sure that's on a loaded out Wrangler.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Like a lot of others I too am looking for that perfect Overlander, to replace my current JKU as it leaves a lot to be desired in the Overlanding Dept. Something that has power to get out of its own way, comfortable on long road trips, and is good off road (but dont care about crawling rocks).

I'm waiting/cross shopping the following:

Scrambler - but this will be just as expensive, but nothing else like it.

Ford F-150 Raptor - Similar price for a 1 year old version or more expensive new but a lot more of vehicle for the money IMO. Also now that the hype has died down seems like you can get one at a mild discount if your willing to order and wait.

Updated 4Runner - rumor is 2019 will be an updated 4Runner with new motor options (not doing the under powered V6 again like I did in the JKU and my old FJ). Love Toyota reliability, but the current 4Runner is too boring and too slow for me to really consider.

Updated Tacoma - See comments on the 4Runner, same applies here.

2019 Ram 1500 - Should be announced next week at Detroit, AEV already has a program for the current 1500 and 2500 so the Hemi or Diesel version of the 1500 with a AEV set up should be amazing for overlanding, also should have all the new tech and still qualify for the tread lightly program, and have all the normal deep truck incentives. Just hoping to like the new look.

2019 Ram 2500 - Should be last year of the current body style of the 2500. I would get a cummins LARAMIE 4x4. Currently I can get one for under $50K OTD, but with 2019 being the final year and the new 2020s coming out they should be selling at an even bigger discounts so I think mid to low 40s is possible which would easily cover the AEV mods. Biggest down side is the size of the vehicle, but I don't see my self on really tight trails anyway.

2020 Ford Bronco - Waiting to see what this has to offer. Knowing Ford they will have both a ecoboost motor and the new diesel they are putting in the F150 in it. It will lack being fully convertible, but should have removable panels for the open air feel.

2019/20 Ford Ranger Raptor - Should be awesome off road like the F-150 Raptor, but a lower price point. Only downside is the renderings of how it looks are kind of disappointing. Waiting for actual reveal to pass judgement

Chevy Colorada ZR2 - I like the ZR2, just bummed a little on the lack of power of the 4cyl diesel. Hence why I'm waiting to see what FORD & JEEP come out with for comparison.
Sponsored