Sponsored

Making JLUR LED Backup Lights Brighter?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I haven’t taken apart my plastic tear bumper. Would it be possible to square the cavities of the reflectors?
@Torero

I'd say no. Look at the placement on the plastic bumper. If you tried to go square with it you could not do it as you run out of bumper so to speak.

Sponsored

krazyboi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2.0L
Do you have any before/after pictures showing how bright they are (the view, not the lights themselves)? Maybe temporarily cover up the new lights to show before?
Without the added lights, the view was dark enough that I didn't feel safe backing out of my driveway at night. With the brake pedal depressed, the view had a reddish hue, but it was still dark. I'll try to take some pics tonight.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
I saw someone considering installing a light in the spare tire. I found a light on Amazon and it has both red and white lights. So I wired the brake light to the red light and the standard light to a switch up front. I am really happy with the results. It is nice up and out of the way, well hidden and I do not have to worry about it getting torn up on the trail.
IMG_20181031_055151.jpg
IMG_20181031_055221.jpg

This picture is the standard lights when brakes are not on and the Jeep was in reverse.
IMG_20181031_055309.jpg

This one is when the brake pedal is depressed.
IMG_20181031_055307.jpg

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I haven’t taken apart my plastic tear bumper. Would it be possible to square the cavities of the reflectors?
The Rigid Ignite back up lights look small enough. They are not really noticeable when mounted under the bumper like a couple of guys have done. I would be totally happy with that set up but it would be cleaner looking if there is room to machine out the reflectors. I was on the fence about the factory hitch, wiring, aux switches. The back up lights help justify that option.

Edit..I just read Rhinebeck01's post about not having enough room to machine out the reflector to fit the Rigid Ignite lights. Maybe there is another light that is smaller and would fit?

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I’d like someone to make some that would be a drop in for where the reflectors are.
I emailed Rigid and asked if there are any plans to make a Direct-Fit back up light that would replace the rear reflectors. Problem might be all the different bumpers for each model. Sport, Sahara, Rubicon, plastic, metal probably have different specs. I will post a update if they reply back.

Last edited:

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
@Hinxster

I added Rigid Ignite back up lights ($129) and am really pleased with them. Install was very easy. I have them wired so they go on with the stock b/u lights or If I press Aux 3. With them, there is so much light at night when I back up, you'd think it was daytime.

rigid-lites.jpg
I believe the vehicle code in WV only allows 2 backup lights. I plan to install "off road" aux lights in the rear and connect them to come on with the switch when I need them. With my luck I would get caught if they came on with my normal backup lights, though it seems like they don't enforce a lot of the laws

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe the vehicle code in WV only allows 2 backup lights. I plan to install "off road" aux lights in the rear and connect them to come on with the switch when I need them. With my luck I would get caught if they came on with my normal backup lights, though it seems like they don't enforce a lot of the laws
All you would have to do is to cover the add on b/u lights with black tape, etc. before going into the inspection station and your vehicle would pass.
I know guys all across the US that do this.. Or, you could disconnect them, just for inspection time.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
All you would have to do is to cover the add on b/u lights with black tape, etc. before going into the inspection station and your vehicle would pass.
I know guys all across the US that do this.. Or, you could disconnect them, just for inspection time.
True, but I prefer to drive a legal vehicle. So under our laws I won't put a set of tires on that sticks out past the fenders either

M1kefries

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My take on the rigid ignite light. Only wanted it for backup so just grafted the flush mount into a receiver cover and tied the wires into the trailer light plug with a weatherpak connector. When it gets dark we’ll see how much difference it makes.

9D425CBF-EB04-49F8-8088-587E922C1445.jpeg

Sponsored

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
My take on the rigid ignite light. Only wanted it for backup so just grafted the flush mount into a receiver cover and tied the wires into the trailer light plug with a weatherpak connector. When it gets dark we’ll see how much difference it makes.

9D425CBF-EB04-49F8-8088-587E922C1445.jpeg
This is awesome, great work.

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
This thread is just what I need...I literally thought my oem reverse LED bulbs weren't working until I had one of my kids stand behind my Jeep and check haha.

Seems like everyone is wiring new reverse lights to an auxiliary switch. Has anyone just spliced them in to come on automatically when you put it in reverse without having to use a switch?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This thread is just what I need...I literally thought my oem reverse LED bulbs weren't working until I had one of my kids stand behind my Jeep and check haha.

Seems like everyone is wiring new reverse lights to an auxiliary switch. Has anyone just spliced them in to come on automatically when you put it in reverse without having to use a switch?
YES .... My aftermarket b/u lights are wired so they come on with the stock backup lights or when I hit Aux 3. I tapped into the reverse wire on the tow package, 7 pin connector. I also ran a wire up to Aux 3 in the engine bay. This set-up necessitates the use of 2 diodes.

DAVE B

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RUBICON JL
YES .... My aftermarket b/u lights are wired so they come on with the stock backup lights or when I hit Aux 3. I tapped into the reverse wire on the tow package, 7 pin connector. I also ran a wire up to Aux 3 in the engine bay. This set-up necessitates the use of 2 diodes.
Could you post a schematic of how you wired your lights. Sounds exactly like what I want