Sponsored

New door hinges and handles spied

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
From homepage:

The 2018 Wrangler prototype has finally, revealing for the first time the new door hinge and door handle designs.

The door hinges, which are body-colored in these photos are exposed to reveal a shapelier, more aggressive design when compared to the hinges on the JK Wrangler.

The new door handles will also look and function differently as they appear to feature pull-to-open door handles that eschew the push button design of old.

Finally, the camouflage around the front fenders appears to be vented, likely for the fender vents that were shown in the recently leaked images.

You can also see possibly how slim the folding windshield frame is.

2018-JeepWrangler-Door-hinges-handles2.jpg

2018-JeepWrangler-Door-hinges-handles3.jpg
2018-JeepWrangler-Door-hinges-handles1.jpg
2018-JeepWrangler-Door-hinges-handles4.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Camo is slowly coming off

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
Looks like the camouflage is vented where the fender vent is located. :like:

Midnight2d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
I like the new hinge design but it looks like these will need even more protection against rocks, chips, scrapes, etc. than the flatter JK ones.

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited edition
I think an even bigger item is shown here. In this set of images you can see that the JL does indeed have a body line crease (belt line) as shown in the recent renderings. You can see the crease above the hinges. However, it does not appear to be quite as pronounced as it is in the renderings.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lee H Greidanus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former jk owner
Occupation
Mail carrier
They are also still covering the bottom corner of the back window it'll probably be angled like the clay model from a while back.

Jeep Wrangler JL New door hinges and handles spied {filename}

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Any guess on the tire/wheel combo shown? Does that look like the steel 16" rim from the current JK? How about tire? The tire certainly looks taller than the stock 225/75R16. Maybe 245/75R16 or might this be a new steel 17" rim with 245/75R17 as mentioned in another thread.

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like base model steelies. Also notice black plastic flares and top, for those who hate body color.

E in DC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Jeep Cherokee (2 door)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like base model steelies. Also notice black plastic flares and top, for those who hate body color.
Good eye. They seem a bit different than the current offering, but it's hard to tell.

Sponsored

Lee H Greidanus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former jk owner
Occupation
Mail carrier
That window folding down will come in handy here in North Dakota i can barely see through the windshield on the jk for the bug splatter.

OP
OP
MockBarbecue82

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
They are also still covering the bottom corner of the back window it'll probably be angled like the clay model from a while back.
We've already seen mules that show that this is not the case. In the clay model the forward side of the window has an angle. Most mules already show this portion of the window. I think the black tape you see in the pictures 1 & 2 above is just in a coincidental position. Thus far, the clay model hasn't been accurate save for very minor details.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MockBarbecue82

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
From homepage: The new door handles will also look and function differently as they appear to feature pull-to-open door handles that eschew the push button design of old.
I'm not sure if I like this change. I thought I liked the JK push button handles, but I guess I wont really know till i try it.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I like the new hinge design but it looks like these will need even more protection against rocks, chips, scrapes, etc. than the flatter JK ones.
Actually the new hinges themselves seem flatter than the current JK hunges. This is a pet peeve of mine, and while they are still exposed they seem flusher at the leading edge.
Sponsored