chiggerdude

First Name
Brian Head
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR and a 2010 JK - 2010 JK Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also on 37's (Nitto Ridge Graps) and frequently drive interstates. With 37's (as you know) air pressure is crucial. Both my 17 JKU and my new JL rolled beautifully on 37's at a cold 29-30 psi.
At 32psi and above I experienced a little bump steer from time to time. I'm replacing my factory stabilizer this winter to alleviate any bump steer at higher pressures. Mostly because I'm going to Moab in early Spring, and want to stretch my gas mileage.
If I were on 35's or smaller... the stock stabilizer would be more than enough dampening. My wife's has had her stock one since 2010. She's running 35's.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Stopped at a dealer and parked next to a stock Rubicon. Also drove a 2.0L for the first time. It sounds like my lawn tractor.
:cwl::giggle::cwl:

Nice write up and pics! I'm running 18" Fuel Rims and 35" Nitto Grapplers and I can tell you my mileage dropped from 18.9 to 13/14.

One correction though: True Bourbon comes ONLY from Kentucky! :-P
Common myth but not true; by law bourbon has to be from a grain mixture with a minimum of 51% corn, distilled to no higher than 160 proof, and introduced into first use charred oak barrels for aging at no higher than 125 proof. The only stipulation as to origin is that it must be made in the USA. Trust me, I'm a whiskey geek; if I ever wanted to sell my collection it would take a nice dent out of the price of a new Jeep (but it's NOT for sale, ever). :) That said all my favorite bourbons do indeed come from Kentucky.
True, but as a Kentucky-born boy I’m a little partial. ;)

What’s your go-to? Right now mine’s Buffalo Trace.

These guys know what's up. :rock:

Wild Turkey is 1.8 miles from my house, Buffalo Trace is 0.5 miles from where I work, and Jim Beam is on the other side of town from me.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Great write up, nice to read about a trip that didn’t involve all sorts of issues. Too cool that your dad got to drive it around. As far as the 2.0 sound, do you have a single or twin cylinder engine on your lawn mower? That’s pretty sad. On a serious note, did you have your dealer flash your computer for the 37`s or did you do it with a hand held like a Tazer?

tobyw

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU-R
Looks like a great trip!!

I can vouch for the mileage claim, as I also saw a consistent hand calculated 19+ mpg on the freeway when I did a 2,700 mile round trip from WA down to San Diego, via the Rubicon Trail of course :rock:

OP
OP
TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
This turned into a fun thread!

First of all, for those questioning MPG numbers, have you corrected your computer for actual tire size? Have you calculated the numbers by hand? My aunts cousins wifes sisters Rubicon on 33s struggles to get 21 on the highway too. Seems to reason that my figures of mid 18s are right in line with that.

Whisky:

I don't doubt anyone on their likes and dislikes. Taste is a personal preference. I have tried a lot (maybe a little too much) through my years and this happens to be my hands down favorite. Do yourself a favor and order a bottle. Post back with your thoughts. ;)

http://missouriridgedistillery.com/
01efa39b67a85e5b9c2c3518a1b94752a48cea76ae.jpg
01b58390312da1fe78458b7b59ba6b9a12066a4484.jpg

-Eli

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I had a similar experience on my 10 state, 3k mile road trip this summer although I'm on 35's (also recalibrated). The Jeep would do great at 65mph and get 20+ mpg but I had the cruise set for 75-77mph for a lot of it and would get more like 18 and preferred 7th gear but would use 8th if flat and no wind. I also noticed the head wind at 75mph really dropped the mpg. 65mph not so much. Awesome write up.

OP
OP
TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
I recalibrated my computer with the Super Chips FlashPaq. I ended up at a tire size of 35.75" to get an exact GPS speed match.

My dad has owned 3 jeeps. His last one being a 2002 Sahara with an OME lift and 33" Toyo MTs. He said the JL may be the best single generation improvement of any vehicle in history.

-Eli

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Buffalo Trace is great everyday stuff and can't beat the value; it's neck and neck for me with Knob Creek. Both are on constant sale around here at our mega-lo-mart of liquor Binny's for around $25 a fifth, which is a deal up here. My whiskey-geek friend and I keep talking about doing a bourbon trail tour "one of these days". Take the wives and have one of them do the driving once we're there. :)
I got 18 good bottles of bourbon at my retirement party. Should hold me for a while..... My group of friends have talked about taking the motorhome and doing the bourbon trail tour next summer. One of my employees gave me an 84 year old bottle of I.W. Harper. He must have liked me as his boss.

xjgregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I do want to remind everyone that the KO2 is one of the lighter/smaller 37s out there. I am sure that has something to do with my results.

-Eli
I'm curious what the actual height of the 37" KO2's measured out to be. Did you happen to measure when newly installed? Also, do you happen to know the weight of the tire/wheel combo with the stock wheels? Many thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
I'm curious what the actual height of the 37" KO2's measured out to be. Did you happen to measure when newly installed? Also, do you happen to know the weight of the tire/wheel combo with the stock wheels? Many thanks!
They measure out right around 36" and they weigh 20 lbs more than the stock 33s.

-Eli

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Great looking rig, but I was kinda shocked to see the pic
Hey Guys,

Thought I would post up a trip report with some real world experiences and numbers. I was by myself in my JLUR with 2" Daystar, Falcon 2.1s and 37x12.50 KO2s.

I needed to go down to see my parents who live just outside of Branson MO. On the trip down (From Iron Mountain, MI) I took mostly 2 lane roads through WI, IA, IL and MO. This gave me a really good idea of how the gearing and suspension worked at speed on choppy back roads. I was able to stop and see some places I had not seen in over 20 years.

Here is a scenic overlook in Spring Green WI. You can see the deck from the House on the Rock in the background.

House on the rock.jpg
spring green.jpg

The ONLY thing that I began to notice was the stock steering stabilizer letting a little wobble come through on uneven bumps. That night at the hotel I contacted Marcus at River City Offroad and had him ship a Nexus 2.2 to my parents house. Everything else was fantastic. Handling and ride was great and the transmission did an excellent job. It does not spend as much time in 8th gear but it DOES use it. Steep hills at speed and on cruise it rarely drops below 6th. At this point in the trip I was averaging 18.8 MPG with my computer recalibrated for the 37s. (to actual GPS speed) The tires are smooth and quiet all the way up to 98 MPH.

After arriving at my parents house I got to spend some time driving around to Ozarks. I got to do a little light wheeling and finally got to max the suspension out with 2 tires off the ground. With 2" bumpstops the tires just barely kiss the back of the rear liners and the top of the front liners. Just enough to make dirt marks.

mo flex (3).jpg
mo flex (2).jpg

My dad spent time driving it as well and was blown away with how well it drove and how comfortable it was. Fuel mileage driving easy around Ozark mountain roads was a solid 20-21 MPG. Stopped at one of my favorite distilleries for a glass of their gold metal winning Bourbon.

MR (2).jpg
MR (1).jpg

Stopped at a dealer and parked next to a stock Rubicon. Also drove a 2.0L for the first time. It sounds like my lawn tractor.

next to stock (1).jpg
next to stock (2).jpg

The Nexus 2.2 steering stabilizer showed up and did not fail to impress. Even on its "soft" setting it takes all of the bump steer feedback out of the wheel. The "Firm" setting was amazing for blasting down the interstate at speed in cross winds. I can highly recommend this upgrade.

The trip back was all interstate because I had to make time. Most of the time I ran on cruise at 75MPH. If the wind was light it would use 8th gear on the flats and downhills and go down to 7th or 6th on the climbs. Fuel mileage at this time was about 17.5. When I crossed into IL I ran into a steady 15MPH head wind. Running 76 MPH, Jeep stayed in 6th gear and mileage dropped to 14.8 Worst of the trip. Even in the wind the Jeep drove great. One hand on the wheel at 75-80 MPH.

I drove 900 miles yesterday and it did not feel like I did it in a Wranger. Especially not one with 37" tires. I was impressed with the mileage it got and it never felt short on power. My overall trip mileage wound up in the low 18s. It was a fun week and was really nice to spend some time with my parents.
arch.jpg
miller.jpg

FWIW, YMMV

-Eli
Great write up and sweet looking rig. Only surprise to me is the side-by-side pics next to the stock Rubicon. Really yours doesn't look all that much taller. Any regrets with the smaller 2 inch lift and the 37s that are actually closer to 36? Sorry, serious question, not trying to sound like an ass. I am also considering this setup, but I don't want to have "big Jeep" envy... :)

OP
OP
TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
There is really no reason to have it any larger than this to clear 37" KO2s. If you want a bigger Jeep, build a bigger Jeep! It may not ride and drive as nice as mine though. ;)

-Eli

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
And I have 35s ko2 and getting maybe 21 on the freeway with no lift but mine is sport
Hmm...I put rubi takeoff tires on my sport 6 speed and a averaging 16mpg around town and 19mpg on the hwy driving 75 mph. It drops to to 18 mpg at 80mph. Maybe the automatic is more efficient.

NYJeepFan

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Hey Guys,

Thought I would post up a trip report with some real world experiences and numbers. I was by myself in my JLUR with 2" Daystar, Falcon 2.1s and 37x12.50 KO2s.

I needed to go down to see my parents who live just outside of Branson MO. On the trip down (From Iron Mountain, MI) I took mostly 2 lane roads through WI, IA, IL and MO. This gave me a really good idea of how the gearing and suspension worked at speed on choppy back roads. I was able to stop and see some places I had not seen in over 20 years.

Here is a scenic overlook in Spring Green WI. You can see the deck from the House on the Rock in the background.

House on the rock.jpg
spring green.jpg

The ONLY thing that I began to notice was the stock steering stabilizer letting a little wobble come through on uneven bumps. That night at the hotel I contacted Marcus at River City Offroad and had him ship a Nexus 2.2 to my parents house. Everything else was fantastic. Handling and ride was great and the transmission did an excellent job. It does not spend as much time in 8th gear but it DOES use it. Steep hills at speed and on cruise it rarely drops below 6th. At this point in the trip I was averaging 18.8 MPG with my computer recalibrated for the 37s. (to actual GPS speed) The tires are smooth and quiet all the way up to 98 MPH.

After arriving at my parents house I got to spend some time driving around to Ozarks. I got to do a little light wheeling and finally got to max the suspension out with 2 tires off the ground. With 2" bumpstops the tires just barely kiss the back of the rear liners and the top of the front liners. Just enough to make dirt marks.

mo flex (3).jpg
mo flex (2).jpg

My dad spent time driving it as well and was blown away with how well it drove and how comfortable it was. Fuel mileage driving easy around Ozark mountain roads was a solid 20-21 MPG. Stopped at one of my favorite distilleries for a glass of their gold metal winning Bourbon.

MR (2).jpg
MR (1).jpg

next to stock (1).jpg
next to stock (2).jpg

The Nexus 2.2 steering stabilizer showed up and did not fail to impress. Even on its "soft" setting it takes all of the bump steer feedback out of the wheel. The "Firm" setting was amazing for blasting down the interstate at speed in cross winds. I can highly recommend this upgrade.

The trip back was all interstate because I had to make time. Most of the time I ran on cruise at 75MPH. If the wind was light it would use 8th gear on the flats and downhills and go down to 7th or 6th on the climbs. Fuel mileage at this time was about 17.5. When I crossed into IL I ran into a steady 15MPH head wind. Running 76 MPH, Jeep stayed in 6th gear and mileage dropped to 14.8 Worst of the trip. Even in the wind the Jeep drove great. One hand on the wheel at 75-80 MPH.

I drove 900 miles yesterday and it did not feel like I did it in a Wranger. Especially not one with 37" tires. I was impressed with the mileage it got and it never felt short on power. My overall trip mileage wound up in the low 18s. It was a fun week and was really nice to spend some time with my parents.

arch.jpg
miller.jpg

FWIW, YMMV

-Eli
Awesome review thanks for sharing ! Now thinking of getting 37's instead of 35's when my jeep arrives
Sponsored