old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I hear you...always kind of trusted my old 1911 myself .. it's a little more portable and concealable ... but a strong display of force with 37mm can be one hell of a deterrent
I couldn't qualify with the 1911 . We were told to use one hand ( not both ) .

Last edited:

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I will say that this a problem in my city, as I first came to know about it because an entire story was featured on the news about it earlier this year. It is a real problem. Peoples' vehicles are being stolen from their driveways while they sleep because their key fob code/frequency was copied.

As for my fob, I made my own little device that consists of bobby hair pins and foil, in which I've wrapped in cute green fabric :cwl:
TaisDevice.jpeg

It works quite well, as when I get into the jeep and try to start it with my "device" the Jeep will say "key fob not detected".
I'll just roll with this until @Blkjak designs a beastly product :idea:
Very clever engineering idea and production .

You will want to protect your vin if it can be used at a dealer to obtain a replacement fob .

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
LOLLLLLL! Mann this video was hilarious! Dude was struggling and he got a good workout trying to get it off. This still makes me happy about my decision to get the Club. They were not able to take it off quickly and they needed huge bolt cutters to get it which seems like it would be hard for a thief to get inside the Jeep, close the door and try to get enough leverage inside the cabin to cut it off, because of lack of room. Otherwise they would have to leave the door open to have enough room for the bolt cutters but that wouldn't be too inconspicuous; which defeats the entire method of stealing a vehicle: Quick & discreet.

So thanks for posting this video lol, gives me more peace of mind than before! :cwl:
No, you missed the point entirely.

That kid from the junk yard also cant steal your car with or without the club, so ya you stop people that cant get the job done in the first place.

Pros laugh at the club and cut it in 10-15 seconds, people stealing cars bring all the stuff they need and buy better stuff as needed. slim jim, cutters and whatever. People stopped using the club way back when an ex-con showed a clip on tv of freezing inside the lock and cracking it in seconds.

There is a guy opening the new ones with a paper clip in a few seconds that had not tried before, and sometimes they just cut the steering wheel and pull it out. they do whats easiest to get it out of the way, does not take more than a few seconds

The big rings they catch use tow trucks, in any event.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport

That kid from the junk yard also cant steal your car with or without the club, so ya you stop people that cant get the job done in the first place.

Pros laugh at the club and cut it in 10-15 seconds, people stealing cars bring all the stuff they need and buy better stuff as needed. slim jim, cutters and whatever. People stopped using the club way back when an ex-con showed a clip on tv of freezing inside the lock and cracking it in seconds.

There is a guy opening the new ones with a paper clip in a few seconds that had not tried before, and sometiems they jsut cut the steering wheel and pull it out. the ydo whats easiest to get it out of the way, does not take more than a seconds

Good points . I saw an alert about thieves writing down our vin number , and getting a dealer to make a replacement key . Likely they could do the same thing for a replacement fob .

Sponsored

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
;)In light of everyone's thoughts I installed, tested and filmed my new car alarm today

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Good points . I saw an alert about thieves writing down our vin number , and getting a dealer to make a replacement key . Likely they could do the same thing for a replacement fob .
BMW to get a new key or FOB you have to physically bring in your proof of ownership and ID and then it is submitted to BMW which takes their time to confirm who you are and if you own the car, plus they are very expensive Keys and FOB's. It would be very difficult to do this to a BMW.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
BMW to get a new key or FOB you have to physically bring in your proof of ownership and ID and then it is submitted to BMW which takes their time to confirm who you are and if you own the car, plus they are very expensive Keys and FOB's. It would be very difficult to do this to a BMW.
Good for BMW . When I read about this happening to Jeeps in Cali I covered up my vin , and bought a visible yellow Club , and a stainless steel chain and two padlocks just to give them visual deterrence from the get-go . I also have some other deterrence at hand .

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I just put my Jeep in the garage, if you go in you get eaten by my boxers or the mountain lion thats been prowling behind my house lol.

Best security is not attracting attention, garage (out of sight out of mind), dont leave stuff to attract smash and grab, park in spots with visibility. Upgrades that blend in a prefer (ie replace fot lights with bajas or some such rather than a light bar)

Angle your front tires when you park to give a tow truck a hassle, the sport S and above have a simple alarm that kills ignitions etc and should stop the "junk yard level thiefs" , I have motion cameras and motion sensing lights out front, if I have to go some place not so nice, I drive a beater car.

Getting a shield for your keys is probably legit, looks like they can nail you from outside most houses now (dont forget to shield backup key too)

Last edited:

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
If I get time I am gonna put the key FOB up to a spectrum analyzer at work tomorrow, and see whats blocks it simplest. gonna try aluminum foil to use on extra keys.

IF you park outside and want a great cheap camera solution check out:
https://www.wyzecam.com/

I put several up, kinda handy to check on house dogs/kids whatever during day. I have one pointed out front through window to watch packages and cars in front (kids cars etc)

Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase

There is a guy opening the new ones with a paper clip in a few seconds that had not tried before, and sometimes they just cut the steering wheel and pull it out. they do whats easiest to get it out of the way, does not take more than a few seconds

lol...ohh no, I definitely got the point. I love my Club whether it serves as a deterrent or not, because to me, it's hilarious...it goes with MY THEME of "oldschoolness" (manual locks, manual windows, etc) . I'm making light of all of this, as there's not much any device can do when people can just "...cut the steering wheel and pull it out. they do whats easiest to get it out of the way, does not take more than a few seconds"... :cwl:

Plus where I park my Jeep, if someone tries to steal it, they will be seen, whether I'm at work or at home. Regardless, there are skilled individuals that have the knowledge to steal. I understand this totally. I'm not sayin that the Club will stop someone from stealing my Jeep lol. I do believe it serves as some type of deterrent as any and all anti-theft devices can.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
... gonna try aluminum foil to use on extra keys...
Aluminum foil works extremely well and dang I forgot about my additional fob. It's nowhere near my Jeep but still might be a good idea to wrap it with foil.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Maybe a 30 second slow down, and guys really after stuff use tow trucks. It would not hurt if you are parking someplace wierd I suppose, but anything other than punks I doubt its gonna help.

Number 1 use of a club is actually as a club, its not really a weapon wink wink

When these things were fasionable, the crooks just used a bolt cutter, and cut the steering wheel instead. The crooks couldnt care less about the security of the wheel locks.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
They build new Jeeps everyday. Buy good insurance and don't sweat it. With that said, I park in a garage, have a Rottweiler, and guns.
Sponsored