Sun Visor Rattling?

brettJLg

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLSU
Hey All - I noticed lately my sun visors make a clicking/rattling/creaking noise over uneven road surfaces. I even went so far to "extend" the bump-stops by adding some additional cabinet stoppers to see if it would alleviate it - to no avail.

Anyone else notice this?
Sponsored

Jschmadeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Hey All - I noticed lately my sun visors make a clicking/rattling/creaking noise over uneven road surfaces. I even went so far to "extend" the bump-stops by adding some additional cabinet stoppers to see if it would alleviate it - to no avail.

Anyone else notice this?
yep, same thing here. I put a couple of those cabinet door felt bumpers on top of the hard rubber OEM bumpers. That seems to have quieted them down.

OP
OP
brettJLg

brettJLg

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLSU
yep, same thing here. I put a couple of those cabinet door felt bumpers on top of the hard rubber OEM bumpers. That seems to have quieted them down.
Which ones did you use? I used the plastic clear ones, thinking the old school felt tip ones may be better?

Bleep

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2015 FIESTA!
Jeep must have figured this out.

Mine has felt cabinet stoppers already :cwl:

The engineers probably read this forum to get ideas on how to fix things :giggle:

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Check if one of the washers is moving around behind the visor. That's where my noise was coming from. I just tightened the bolt and it went away.

20180905_180710.jpg

Sponsored

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Opps, mine (driver's side only) is clicking on the two rubber bumper stops, not where you've circled in your picture. When in the field, I simply pull the visor down a half inch or more until it stays off the stops. I think what's happening is a tolerance stack up exists such that one bumper is firmly against the visor and the second one is just barely off the bumper. That little bit of clearance is where the noise is coming from. When I allow the passenger's visor to close from 1/2 inch away there is a solid clunk ... the driver's side has a click to it. I like the cabinet felt pad idea, will try it.

Check if one of the washers is moving around behind the visor. That's where my noise was coming from. I just tightened the bolt and it went away.

20180905_180710.jpg

Jschmadeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Which ones did you use? I used the plastic clear ones, thinking the old school felt tip ones may be better?
yep, the felt ones did the trick.

SteppJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
US Army

Anyone else notice this?
Had the same issue, thought it was my sun visor... added the stops and didn’t solve the problem. After further investigation I discovered the bolts for the windshield came loose and the washer was rattling. After I tightened up all the loose ones, the rattle was gone. Hope this helps.

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Had the same issue, thought it was my sun visor... added the stops and didn’t solve the problem. After further investigation I discovered the bolts for the windshield came loose and the washer was rattling. After I tightened up all the loose ones, the rattle was gone. Hope this helps.
Just found the passenger corner bolt loose. Look forward to my next outing to see if it changes anything.
Sponsored