First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
I think the watered down effect is the 8" infotainment systems, heated seats, heated steering wheels, sub-woofers, proximity locks...
Those are all OPTIONAL. How do any of those options being available affect those who don’t order them?

Or by “watered down”, are you saying there should be only one type of Wrangler owner, with Wranglers built and used for only to one purpose? I wouldn’t order any of those options but I don’t lament that others can, as long as the Wrangler *I* want to build isn't impacted, or those options aren't forced upon me.

Thanks to Big Gov Nanny State-ism, we’ll never again have the simplicity of a CJ-5 (or even a YJ) in a new vehicle here in the USA — so you can’t blame Jeep for that. Ever increasing Federal (and even Euro) regs and EPA requirements are a much MUCH bigger concern to me, much more so than whether or not someone can order a heated steering wheel.
Sponsored

Last edited:

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to Big Gov Nanny State-ism, we’ll never again have the simplicity of a CJ-5 (or even a YJ) in a new vehicle here in the USA — so you can’t blame Jeep for that. Ever increasing Federal (and even Euro) regs and EPA requirements are a much MUCH bigger concern to me, much more so than whether or not someone can order a heated steering wheel.
I don't really miss growing up in the 80s and worrying that two Honda Civics crashing into each at 30mph would lead to both cars full people being killed or people flying through the windshields with any sort of front end collision. I had a guy in a huge 80s Blazer hit my 2006 Lexus at ~5mph and it completely destroyed his steel bumper/front end and my Lexus had a paint scratch because of the 5mph bumpers.

In the 70s twice the amount of people were dying per year than are dying in 2016 vehicular accidents (and how many more cars are on the road today?)

https://www.businessinsider.com/traffic-fatalities-historical-trend-us-2016-4

Last edited:

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
I don't really miss growing up in the 80s and worrying that two Honda Civics crashing into each at 30mph would lead to both cars full people being killed or people flying through the windshields with any sort of front end collision. I had a guy in a huge 80s Blazer hit my 2006 Lexus at ~5mph and it completely destroyed his steel bumper/front end and my Lexus had a paint scratch because of the 5mph bumpers.

In the 70s twice the amount of people were dying per year than are dying in 2018 vehicular accidents (and how many more cars are on the road today?)

https://www.businessinsider.com/traffic-fatalities-historical-trend-us-2016-4
LOL ... no one who is so deeply concerned about crash safety drives a Civic. (And FYI, the Civics of today are HUGE in comparison to 1970’s/1980’s models)

Also, “5-mph bumpers” that you’re touting as modern design were first federally-mandated for US cars over 40 years ago — in 1974.

So your position is that it is a good thing that Gov has unlimited power to force any and all regulations upon its subjects, as long as it is in the name of “safety” or increased MPG? If not, where are the boundaries? Where does it end?

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I've never removed my doors. I'm in panic mode now. Is the Chevy dealer open on Sunday? :)
That’s heresy. But... my dad had a 911 and I’m 100% positive he never once drove it over 100 mph. He has a Corvette now.. same thing. So there really are some people who buy something that does far more than they’re willing to settle for. I’m related to one!

Hound Dog Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 door manual transmission
Those are all OPTIONAL. How do any of those options being available affect those who don’t order them?

Or by “watered down”, are you saying there should be only one type of Wrangler owner, with Wranglers built and used for only to one purpose? I wouldn’t order any of those options but I don’t lament that others can, as long as the Wrangler *I* want to build isn't impacted, or those options aren't forced upon me.

Buy what you want, I don’t care, nor would I criticize you for it. It was simply a reply to the post about taking off your doors and putting the top down or go buy a Tahoe blah blah blah.

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Just hire some teenage girls and they will do it for you....

They could make a killing doing jeep videos, I cant even remember what it was about lol.

In any event a 4 door solid top is always gonna be somewhat of a project on removal, if you really want a convertible feel, the 2 door is the way to go, no wall of windows and its gonna be easier hard or soft top.

My 2 door has been in Safari mode all but 2 days of ownership

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
That’s heresy. But... my dad had a 911 and I’m 100% positive he never once drove it over 100 mph. He has a Corvette now.. same thing. So there really are some people who buy something that does far more than they’re willing to settle for. I’m related to one!
This happens with several cars enthusiasts seek out. They purchase a sports car but never full throttle it. Buy a Wrangler and never take it off road or drop the top. So then you think people buy them because they like the looks of the vehicle or they pay the $35k entry ticket into the club. I think this is why Wrangler sales have jumped so fast.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
This happens with several cars enthusiasts seek out. They purchase a sports car but never full throttle it. Buy a Wrangler and never take it off road or drop the top. So then you think people buy them because they like the looks of the vehicle or they pay the $35k entry ticket into the club. I think this is why Wrangler sales have jumped so fast.
I completely agree. In these times, people want to own something that portrays an image. That being said, once you’ve had the doors off you’ll never want to put them back on.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
If only Jeep had thought that maybe some customers might want a top that is easier to raise/lower, and offered an option for them?!? Maybe something lighter, and foldable, and one that can just be pushed back instead of lifting it off??? But alas, I guess we'll have to live in the misery of knowing no such option exists...
Such an option does exist : it's called a soft-top .

Sponsored

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
BE884148-FCAF-43CC-8C87-6571935C533C.jpeg
I think the top is easy enough to deal with. Just put it back on for winter. My 11 year old son and I put it on easily. Here’s the pic right after we took the soft top off before we put it on.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Part of the allure of freedom is having the option to do something, even if you don’t ever do it. Knowing you have the choice feels good, and is freeing in and of itself.

I think people like knowing their Wrangler can go off-road if they would ever choose to do so. Gives them something to daydream about during their 9-to-5’s behind desk in the middle of the city.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I think the top is easy enough to deal with. Just put it back on for winter. My 11 year old son and I put it on easily. Here’s the pic right after we took the soft top off before we put it on.
Take the doors off for winter .

By the way , nice neighborhood .