Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
As I read a good and well intentioned poster being told by a dealer that they need special gear to remove a hard top beyond that included in purchase, and her desire to confirm that (no), I thought there should be a thread to mention some of the outlandish things people have heard at dealerships, both as a cathartic exercise and one that warns the rest of us.

Share with us your war stories!
Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
In fairness, torx is a pretty weird tool not many people are familiar with, so the dealer was only 75% misinformed instead of 100% bonkers.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Maybe they were referring to a ceiling hoist and not the torx driver.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Except for the fact they were told they needed the trail rated kit to have the proper tools. Lol.

Ybohannon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2008
Maybe they were referring to a ceiling hoist and not the torx driver.
Nope, he told me I needed the kit to have the tools to remove the rear portion of the hard top. Didn't believe him, but I've been known to be wrong before!!

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, this should be a fun thread! Got my popcorn!:cwl:

Fortunately, my salesman told me up front he didn't know much about the JL, so he said he'd just do what I needed him to do. He's a good dude.

As Josey Wales, or Dirty Harry, or one of Eastwood's great characters said, "A man's gotta know his limitations."

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Nope, he told me I needed the kit to have the tools to remove the rear portion of the hard top. Didn't believe him, but I've been known to be wrong before!!
He's completely mistaken. Every wrangler comes with the tools to remove the top/doors/windshield wipers and fold down the windshield. The trail rated kit comes with a tow strap, D-ring, and gloves.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
He's completely mistaken. Every wrangler comes with the tools to remove the top/doors/windshield wipers and fold down the windshield. The trail rated kit comes with a tow strap, D-ring, and gloves.
But you can’t use the supplied tool without wearing the Jeep brand gloves so......

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
But you can’t use the supplied tool without wearing the Jeep brand gloves so......
And running the tow strap through an overhead block and tackle (not supplied!) to lift the top off.

Reactions: 008

Sponsored

Hughesonthenet

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue 2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
IT Director
Lol, this should be a fun thread! Got my popcorn!:cwl:

Fortunately, my salesman told me up front he didn't know much about the JL, so he said he'd just do what I needed him to do. He's a good dude.

As Josey Wales, or Dirty Harry, or one of Eastwood's great characters said, "A man's gotta know his limitations."
Dirty Harry at his finest in Magnum Force!

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
I was told the only difference between the old JK Wangler and the new JL Wangler was the angle of the grill. :cwl:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
As I read a good and well intentioned poster being told by a dealer that they need special gear to remove a hard top beyond that included in purchase, and her desire to confirm that (no), I thought there should be a thread to mention some of the outlandish things people have heard at dealerships, both as a cathartic exercise and one that warns the rest of us.

Share with us your war stories!
This kid calling it a “whip,” and later on saying that all JL’s have all wheel drive and 35’s. Ughhhhh.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Dirty Harry at his finest in Magnum Force!
That's it! He said that to Hal Holbrook! Thanks for reminding me. My other favorite line was from Josey Wales, when he was asked if he was going to bury someone he shot, and he said, "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms."

Lol!

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2014 JKU Sport S, 2007 JKU Sport, 1997 TJ,
When I bought my 2017 JKU Sahara the Salesman said that the rake of the windshield was different and my old tops would not fit. Lol..to soon....JLU.
Sponsored