Sponsored

Issue Bulletin: Frame Weld Inspection/Repair (Rust, Pinholes, Alignment)

OzarkBob

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
Just a short update for everyone. Dealer still has my jeep. FCA wants them to hold it until they make their decision. I think the waiting and not knowing what is going on with the decision is the most difficult part.
My dealer has been outstanding in helping me and have had me in a loaner truck since I took my JLU in and when I talk to customer service they have been respectful and seem to want to help and get this resolved. Have made it clear to them on several occasions that I want the Jeep baught back. Hoping that they ultimately agree to. It should have never shipped IMO.
I still feel that they did an excellent job with the JL. They just rushed them out. Hopefully I will have more news for everyone in the next few weeks. They have told me that they would update me next Wednesday.
Hopefully I will be in a new jeep before long and be back out exploring in it. Have missed two rides already and am itching to be back out on the trails again.
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Thanks, I am still in shock I think. I am dumbfounded that they said NO HOLES, none, they tried to tell me the holes I was seeing were something else besides holes. I quit listening to them after I heard no holes. I was thinking to myself if I can put my finger into the frame where the weld is supposed to be, THATS A HOLE! I just want them to do the right thing and make this right.
Did you have them show you other Jeeps with the same “not a hole”?

I would make them prove it is normal.

Rocstar

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2014 JK
Occupation
Technical Writer
Did you have them show you other Jeeps with the same “not a hole”?

I would make them prove it is normal.
I sent the dealer the pictures I have and they are sending them to FCA since the dealer is clueless about what to do.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I sent the dealer the pictures I have and they are sending them to FCA since the dealer is clueless about what to do.
They are also clueless about how a hole looks . They don't know that a hole is an opening , which is visible to anyone with even one eye .

Trump would know what to do : call a hole a hole .

OzarkBob

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
Rocstar
I hope that they take care of you as well. The waiting around is the worst part. Amazes me at how FCA is acting about all this when there is an obvious problem with frame welds on early production Jeeps. Hopefully with everyone bringing this to light to not only FCA but to NHTSA this will get resolved for all of us and we will be able to get out and enjoy our Jeeps again. Looks like you did well and got them to act on it though.

Sponsored

Rocstar

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2014 JK
Occupation
Technical Writer
Rocstar
I hope that they take care of you as well. The waiting around is the worst part. Amazes me at how FCA is acting about all this when there is an obvious problem with frame welds on early production Jeeps. Hopefully with everyone bringing this to light to not only FCA but to NHTSA this will get resolved for all of us and we will be able to get out and enjoy our Jeeps again. Looks like you did well and got them to act on it though.
It's frustrating that FCA hasn't acknowledged that this is an issue. I just hope someone doesn't get seriously hurt or killed before they decide to take action. I absolutely love my Jeep but I don't want it falling apart or rusting prematurely because of their lack of quality control.

OzarkBob

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
Just got an update from FCA corporate and from jeep cares today. I Was wondering what was taking so long.

Apparently they had opened up a Star case on my jeep but the system has been down . I should hear something very soon on it. I keep stressing that I want the jeep baught back hopefully they are listening. Trying to get a definitive answer has been a challenge. So far though everyone I have talked to still seems to be genuinely wanting to help. We will see what happens in the next few days.

Rocstar

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2014 JK
Occupation
Technical Writer
Just got an update from FCA corporate and from jeep cares today. I Was wondering what was taking so long.

Apparently they had opened up a Star case on my jeep but the system has been down . I should hear something very soon on it. I keep stressing that I want the jeep baught back hopefully they are listening. Trying to get a definitive answer has been a challenge. So far though everyone I have talked to still seems to be genuinely wanting to help. We will see what happens in the next few days.
Keep us posted.

Mine is still sitting at the dealership, they are waiting to hear back from the engineers about the welds.

Sponsored

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech

Your dealer should be buying it back(putting you in a new JLU) and dealing with FCA on the vehicle.

CSMYRUBICON

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl 6spd
I have some concerns myself. Im glad i took pics of my brand new 18 rubicon jl 3 months after i got it, had nit drove in the snow,salt,mud, just rain and sun by that time, and i got underneath because i wanted to see if i needed to put any more armor on anything that might get dented or beat up that wasnt already covered up, I NOTICED A SPOT OF RUST! THEN, I STARTED LOOKING AND I HAVE RUST, ALL OVER SOME OF THE WELDS AND QUIET A FEW OTHER PLACES THAT being brand new, with less than a 1000 miles on it yet, should not be there, i sent pics to the dealership and salesman,and they told me to just bring it in when i get my oil change and they will look, im worried that after i am paying so much for a rubicon i always wanted that they will not fix it or there might not be anything i can do about it, also on the door hinges i noticed paint was bubbling and chipping off also told them about that, i did not thi k to look b4 i got it that a brand new jeep with 30 miles on it, only being made in march i beleive and i bought in july, that i should have to get out my fine tooth comb, i honestly think they will try to say it is all because of the weather which is bull,but im gonna stay positkve on this unitl i find out for sure and hopefully it will be a positive continuance,lol, please wish ne good luck!

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I have some concerns myself. Im glad i took pics of my brand new 18 rubicon jl 3 months after i got it, had nit drove in the snow,salt,mud, just rain and sun by that time, and i got underneath because i wanted to see if i needed to put any more armor on anything that might get dented or beat up that wasnt already covered up, I NOTICED A SPOT OF RUST! THEN, I STARTED LOOKING AND I HAVE RUST, ALL OVER SOME OF THE WELDS AND QUIET A FEW OTHER PLACES THAT being brand new, with less than a 1000 miles on it yet, should not be there, i sent pics to the dealership and salesman,and they told me to just bring it in when i get my oil change and they will look, im worried that after i am paying so much for a rubicon i always wanted that they will not fix it or there might not be anything i can do about it, also on the door hinges i noticed paint was bubbling and chipping off also told them about that, i did not thi k to look b4 i got it that a brand new jeep with 30 miles on it, only being made in march i beleive and i bought in july, that i should have to get out my fine tooth comb, i honestly think they will try to say it is all because of the weather which is bull,but im gonna stay positkve on this unitl i find out for sure and hopefully it will be a positive continuance,lol, please wish ne good luck!
It's slag on the welds, not rust.

CSMYRUBICON

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl 6spd
Its not just on the welds its on the frame and some other places ill look and see if i got the pics on my phone still. I know there on a thumb drive aand post them,
Sponsored